• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting the ice cream out of the Cuisinart ICE-100

Darienne

I was thrilled last summer to be given a brand new Cuisinart ICE-100, the Commercial Quality Ice Cream & Gelato Maker by a friend who knew she would never use it.  Thrilled, until I realized what its limitations were.  And for me, the worst of these was getting the finished product out of the machine and into its storage container.  I'd had one of the earlier ice cream makers with the canister which you had to freeze separately to use but at least it was relatively easy to get the churned ice cream out of the canister and the dasher.

This new machine has two dashers which are a pain to get the ice cream or even worse, gelato, out of...for me at least.  And I see that other newer models of ice cream makers also have dashers that I'd rather not have to deal with.  

This is mine: DSC03528.thumb.JPG.3efa65cf17519ddfde315ae814faffce.JPG

Does anyone have any good ideas of how to accomplish this feat?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Why is this model more difficult in terms of removing the ice cream?  I have the Cuisinart model where the canister has to be frozen first, and it's also fairly difficult to get all the ice cream out.  The dashers in the two models don't seem that different to me, but obviously I must be missing something.

• Like 1

I have an ICE-100.  I always thought getting the ice cream out was pretty easy.  I use a thin iSi silicone spatula.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/1/2023 at 9:48 PM, Jim D. said:

Why is this model more difficult in terms of removing the ice cream?  I have the Cuisinart model where the canister has to be frozen first, and it's also fairly difficult to get all the ice cream out.  The dashers in the two models don't seem that different to me, but obviously I must be missing something.

Because the spaces between the plastic bits are much narrower on the later model.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.