• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters Rockefeller

AlaMoi

anyone do home kitchen oyster Rockefeller?
it's one of my fav appetizers - the "recipe" is dead simple... oyster+spinach+bread crumb+parm . . .
well, sounds simple but some are so much better than others.  seasoning?

I bought some stainless steel "shells"
I can get fresh shucked oysters by the pint - Chesapeake Bay stuff - the real deal . . . about 20 oysters per pint.
for the bread crumb I'm think pan browned panko&butter; parm is box gratered off a chunk - no green jug junk...
first bake to set, then broil to melt.

any input ideas as to technique / seasonings / other appreciated!

• Like 1

wow!  good finds there - many thanks!

the usual&customary recipes are just spinach+breadcrumbs+Parmesan - curiously these 'originals' make no use of any cheese....

the recipes are quite similar - I'm looking forward to trying these.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

wow!  good finds there - many thanks!

the usual&customary recipes are just spinach+breadcrumbs+Parmesan - curiously these 'originals' make no use of any cheese....

the recipes are quite similar - I'm looking forward to trying these.

I don't think that "authentic" NOLA recipes usually use cheese.  We had ours at Galatoire's and there was no cheese.  A couple of years later we had our anniversary dinner at a lovely restaurant in Norfolk VA and were told they were going to make us "the best oysters Rockefeller we'd ever had".  They were fine, but not the best and one of the reasons was the overabundance of Parm.  The cheese really overwhelmed the flavor of the oysters and the spinach.  

well, I saddled up my steed and sharpened my lance . . . . because local places (including "seafood specialty houses") don't make anything near tasty compared to "historicals" - so I'm gonna' knock over a few windmills enroute to making my own.

I've gotten some  really good seafood dishes locally - most recently a heap of mussels that were spectacular.

but I think the northern adaptation for oyster Rockefeller has gone astray....

also going to try the watercress idea - sounds fascinating . . . 

need to round up some pernod - and check the dates on the shucked oysters . . . they always have them, but sometimes the best by date is a bit short for two.  seafood is the one area where I'm much more observant of "best by" dates....

I think you will enjoy the anise/fennel note. Have fun. Did you see @Shelby post about her longtime success freezing them when she gets a bulk deal? Takes out what she wants. Says easier to shuck once frozen. No quality depletion.

• 2 weeks later...

Oysters Rockefeller, Round 1

so I went withthe Antoine’s "original" recipe - exceptions.... deleted parsley, DW has a thing . . . , used Sambuca vs.  Pernod.

DW scarfed down 5 and pronounced:  "I  enjoyed that."  that's pretty high on the praise list,,,  iffin' one didn't know . . .

soaked raw oysters overnight in butter milk - a 'trick' learned from a Baltimore most excellent chef - the acidity firms up the oysters....

me:  not a fan of 'burn off yo' lips' stuff - the Tabasco was a bit strong - DW loved it, I will use it again and remain silent . . .

used panko for the bread crumbs - may think to pan toast them next try - altho they did brown nicely in the oven....

looks like:

orcombo1.thumb.jpg.03316c9a7c84f0f781eb150aff2a23af.jpg

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 6