• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Kitchen Improvement - Modest

Porthos

Our kitchen cabinets came with 2 adjustable shelves per cabinet.Since we are vertically-challenged people the top shelf requires our step stool. Things that are going up there will be seldom-used items, some of them more awkward than heavy, but I didn't want to have to deal with large stacks of things stored up there. extra shelves was the answer. I bought a pre-made shelf and had it cut to required lengths. Now we have more useful storage in the kitchen.

There''s still lots of kitchen unpacking to do so those shelves will get populated.

20230225_151404[1].jpg

20230225_151414[1].jpg

• Like 11

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I added 4 extra shelves (post-reno) to each of my 2 pantry-type cabinets. Our architect/designer thought it would be overkill, but it ain't.

In lieu of a step stool, maybe get yourself a step ladder, which I believe is much more stable; and hence, safer.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

Our kitchen cabinets came with 2 adjustable shelves per cabinet.Since we are vertically-challenged people the top shelf requires our step stool. Things that are going up there will be seldom-used items, some of them more awkward than heavy, but I didn't want to have to deal with large stacks of things stored up there. extra shelves was the answer. I bought a pre-made shelf and had it cut to required lengths. Now we have more useful storage in the kitchen.

I do that with my bookcases. They all have at least one extra shelf, and some have two.

If it wasn't for my books and my kitchen/pantry stuff, I could live in a "tiny home" with no problems. :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

n lieu of a step stool, maybe get yourself a step ladder, which I believe is much more stable; and hence, safer.

I own step ladders but given my balance issues these work a bit better for me, and my Sweetie prefers for me to stay off of step ladders. 

These are my step stools. The smaller one suffices for most simple tasks. The 3-step stool, which I call my project step stool, is used when more weight/reach is involved. I used the project step stool for removing and replacing the things on the initial top shelves, as well as installing the new shelves.  It is no fun not being able to do the things I could easily do 15 years ago. I turn 70 this year but my body is older than my chronological age.

I can't seem to get the images to show up when I choose them.

For those who are curious they are Kobalt 2 step 250 lb, and 3-step 300lb.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;