• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime Praline ?

pjm333

I have a recipe out of Journal du Pâtissier that one of the ingredients is Carthage Lime Praline, I have never used or seen a Lime praline before and google searches come up empty. Has anyone ever used or seen this  ingredient 

or have a recipe for the Lime praline ? Thanks !

limepraline1.jpg.96e322788851b003d86eae523406b9a1.jpg

It's a fascinating recipe and puzzling as well:  Lime praline is mentioned in the ingredients, but lemon praline in the notes at the bottom.  A Google search for "Carthage lime" persistently turns up "Carthage limestone" from the U.S.--probably not what the recipe author had in mind.  Whereas I don't find lime and praline particularly enticing in combination, I did find a recipe that includes hazelnut and kaffir lime praline.

There is a company Maison Boudina - apparently closed in January - they make hazelnut pastes with some interesting additions such as osmanthis, truffle etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pjm333 said:

pastrygirl,

I cut it out of the magazine and I do not see the chefs name on the page, I searched the recipe name with no luck. Thanks !

do you remember how recent the issue was?

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sebastien's tip - so likely Sebastien Serveau who provides a lot of recipes for this magazine. But hasn't helped with the search so far. 

there's a sebastien lesage in January's issue ...

https://www.lejournaldupatissier.com/recipe-index

https://www.patisserie-lesage.com/fr/chocolats-annemassse-74.php

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Looks to me as though the recipe is largely an advertisement for Valrhona and similar products.  Opalys and Dulcey chocolates are made by Valrhona, not sure if they sell cocoa butter but wouldn’t be at all surprised.  I buy mine from Caillebaut, a Valrhona competitor.  Perhaps Boudina was a spin off company?  Only guessing here but it does seem odd that the ingredients are so specifically defined. 

• Like 1

This recipe I found is not like the one to which pjm333 referred, but it does have a similar combination of praline and lime flavors (the latter showing up in Kaffir leaves and in sudachi purée).  I am reasonably certain I cannot find sudachi purée [correction: I just located it for sale from AUI Fine Foods, my chocolate supplier] or probably Kaffir lime leaves, but I might give it a try using regular limes.  The combination of Dulcey and Opalys in the Carthage lime recipe would probably allow the lime flavor to come through more boldly than the milk and dark chocolates of the recipe I found.

Edited by Jim D.
To add info on sudachi (log)
  • Like 2

Jim.D Thanks for your help, the recipe you sent looks great but it is hard to tell since I have no idea whats in the original "lime praline.  I contacted Journal du patissier multiple times but they have yet to respond. Thanks !

• Like 1

Journal du patissier got back to me and said that Carthage Lime Praline is just a type of lime.

I guess its just Lime Juice in the recipe !

"For me, citron vert de carthage is a kind of « lime »."

1 hour ago, pjm333 said:

Journal du patissier got back to me and said that Carthage Lime Praline is just a type of lime.

I guess its just Lime Juice in the recipe !

"For me, citron vert de carthage is a kind of « lime »."

If the ingredient is just lime juice, I am still puzzled.  "Carthage Lime Praline" is not just the title of the recipe, it is also an ingredient, and I don't see how lime juice could qualify as a praline without some added ingredients.  Following up on Kerry's comment that Maison Boudina makes pastes with unusual flavors, a search for "Maison Boudina hazelnut" leads to cremedescremes.com, operated by Faten Boudhina, that does have lots of interesting ingredients, but no Carthage lime anywhere.  One of the products, "Gianduia with Osmanthe and Piedmont Hazelnuts" lists among the ingredients: "80% Piedmont hazelnuts (Maison Boudina Paris)."  But I cannot find a food-oriented website specifically named "Maison Boudina."

I think the recipe will remain a mystery unless you manage to find the author and ask that person.  Did Journal du Patissier happen to tell you the name of the author?  The magazine's response to you doesn't really answer the central question, what is "Carthage lime praline"?