• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Coffee?

liuzhou

My gast is flabbered. I'm a ghast.

The CEO of Starbucks has announced the company is launching olive oil coffee. If they learned to make decent coffee first, it would help! Or ruin it.

https://news.sky.com/story/starbucks-launches-olive-oil-coffee-in-italy-and-its-coming-to-the-uk-next-12816985

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

In my opinionated opinion, Starbucks alone is an abomination but this has got to be the worst that they have come up with. Coming from coffee country, all I want in my coffee is coffee.

Me too.

Disgusting idea

• Like 1

However, I did find this article that explains why you should drink olive oil in coffee. Apparently it prevents everything beginning with athlete's foot, baldness, cancer, Etc. And that's just the first three letters of the alphabet maybe it even prevents xenophobia. It does caution however, that both coffee and olive oil are laxatives so that you can wind up with a rather crappy situation.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

However, I did find this article that explains why you should drink olive oil in coffee. Apparently it prevents everything beginning with athlete's foot, baldness, cancer, Etc. And that's just the first three letters of the alphabet maybe it even prevents xenophobia. It does caution however, that both coffee and olive oil are laxatives so that you can wind up with a rather crappy situation.

I've read some silly pseudo scientific articles in my lifetime but I have to say this one is a doozy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

But the Milanese apparently approve.

Here.

"Not far from Milan’s famed cathedral, a bold yellow sign announced that the product is now on sale, while a large can of oil stood in the centre of the store.

An oleato latte was described by one customer as having a “sweeter taste” that “went down smoother”.

Another said that “the taste of coffee dominates the oil”."

• Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Will they scorch the olive oil too?

You must be of the same mindset as I am when it comes to Starbucks. All their coffee tastes burnt to me.

And I am from Seattle. I lived three blocks away from their original Starbucks location for years and I wouldn't even walk across the street to buy it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Or, as a friend used to call them, Charbucks.

Here in Chinaland, when developers are building retail units that they hope to sell, they often put up fake signs to show that they are likely to be bustling commercial centres.

One got it slightly wrong, not that anyone noticed at the time.

starfucks.thumb.jpg.9d0c2f470328673ef95f80730d94592f.jpg

At that time, there were no legitimate Star-anythings in town. Now the burnt coffee places are everywhere.

That one was eventually turned into a nail salon!

• Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto