• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amaretto

lindag

There's been a bottle of Amaretto knocking around in my liquor cabinet for ages. So last night I tried a new-to-me cocktail.

Two ingredients:  Amaretto and juice of half a lemon shaken, over ice.

Delicious!

This led me to search Googge for other Amaretto drinks. There are lot of variations to try that look amazing.

• Like 3

In Germany, Amaretto is the most popular addition to all the hot drinks on the Christmas markets: hot mulled (spiced) wine, hot cocoa, hot apple juice with a cinnamon stick, hot cherry juice with lemon …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lindag said:

Two ingredients:  Amaretto and juice of half a lemon shaken, over ice.

Delicious!

If you like Amaretto and lemon together, try Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Best Amaretto Sour in the World

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

In Germany, Amaretto is the most popular addition to all the hot drinks on the Christmas markets: hot mulled (spiced) wine, hot cocoa, hot apple juice with a cinnamon stick, hot cherry juice with lemon …

Yes!  I remember being surprised to see a bottle of Amaretto on the counter at every little Glühwein or other hot drink booth!  

I used to like putting a splash into a cup of coffee and topping it up with whipped cream. 

Last night, after reading this, I made an Amaretto Manhattan sort of thing:

2 oz bourbon

0.5 oz Amaretto

0.5 oz Punt e Mes vermouth

dash Angostura bitters

dash cherry bark vanilla bitters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Red Owl said:

For me, it is better than egg nog at Christmas.  Heavy whipping cream and Amaretto. About equal amounts, maybe 60% Amaretto, 40 % heavy cream.

Served warm ..?! Sounds like a challenge to the gastrointestinal system …