• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oldish but interesting piece on catering

gfweb

I can't get behind the paywall to read the article; I do remember getting a recommendation to read the book a few years ago.  I thought it was interesting - and a lot of what they mention was common practice in the two catering kitchens I shared space with.  So for me, I thought, yeah this is the way it is, it's not a huge leap of innovation or anything.  It was my oncologist who recommended the book, and she was fascinated by it and everything that goes on behind the scenes.  I remember thinking if  I'd read a book written by a doctor in a similar vein, I'd probably be fascinated to know what happens behind the scenes too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

I can't get behind the paywall to read the article; I do remember getting a recommendation to read the book a few years ago.  I thought it was interesting - and a lot of what they mention was common practice in the two catering kitchens I shared space with.  So for me, I thought, yeah this is the way it is, it's not a huge leap of innovation or anything.  It was my oncologist who recommended the book, and she was fascinated by it and everything that goes on behind the scenes.  I remember thinking if  I'd read a book written by a doctor in a similar vein, I'd probably be fascinated to know what happens behind the scenes too!

Check your PM

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:36 AM, gfweb said:

I remember reading that when it first came out. Would be interesting to hear a follow-up on how these folks managed through the pandemic.  Some of their expenses are lower than restaurants but there were still plenty of investments in equipment, vehicles and, of course, staff.  I know some caterers around here set up take-out operations and kept on with smaller events but all the really big events went away for quite a while. 

For what it's worth, the high-end caterers that I had relationships with were able to stay afloat doing weekly meals, picked up curbside or delivered.  That carried many of them through the end of the first pandemic year; even some of the distributors (meat, fish) got into the game and started selling to consumers.  Whoever thought of curbside delivery/pick up should be awarded a medal!  At least in Boston, the restaurants have continued outdoor seating during the warmer months, although the mayor has severely restricted outdoor restaurant seating in a few neighborhoods and has a different pricing structure because OF COURSE now you have to get a separate permit in order to serve food outside 🤨 

One thing I realized is that people who run a restaurant think differently than people who do off-site catering.  It's the nature of the business.  One chef I know says he doesn't want to be in the logistics/transportation business and that's definitely a consideration.  In a restaurant, you worry about your cooler going down, late deliveries or equipment malfunctioning; with off-premise catering, you  have to worry about SO MUCH  MORE!  You learn to anticipate what could possibly go wrong and have a plan for solving it.  It's not only the food, it's the logistics.  And for caterers and guests, it's about out-doing the last event with some new interactive station (you can't just EAT, you  have to be entertained as well 😄) or finding the next new hot menu item.  The book touched on that with a few stories, and I absolutely could relate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

and that distrust is absolutely warranted. I remember thinking, the next chapter is where some health inspector shuts down their event because of all the sternos!

I did a taste of the town event about 12? years ago; the health inspector went round to each table before the doors opened, to certify the vendor to participate (this, after making all the vendors go to a mandatory 1 hour presentation, if you didn't go, you couldn't participate at this charity event!  All of us were required to have sneeze guards at the tables 🙄).  One local grocery/gourmet was doing a turkey "dinner" (they were trying to promote their Thanksgiving menu) and the health inspector told them their turkey had to be some ridiculous temp or they couldn't serve it. The ended up boiling the gravy, pouring it over the turkey and the inspector did a temp check and only then, allowed them to participate.  Regulatory mindset indeed.  I stopped doing those events after that; not worth the aggravation.  (I did chocolate-dipped marshmallows, and I had to have covers on my display plates because I wasn't willing to rent a sneeze guard for a 2 hour event).

• Sad 1