• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife recommendation

glenn

I need to replace my all-purpose knife. I've mostly narrowed it down to a 7" or 8" lightweight chef knife for under $100. I am an infrequent cook, unskilled with knife handling and don't want to spend a fortune. I'll need to buy it online. Thanks for any suggestions. 

What Mitch said. I found the Victorinox link hard to navigate; it led me to a whole page full of knives. This is probably the one you want: (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

You've had a lot of restaurant meals that were prepped with that, and it's priced like it's still the 20th century. 

You'll need to think about sharpening no matter what you buy.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

1 minute ago, paulraphael said:

What Mitch said. I found the Victorinox link hard to navigate; it led me to a whole page full of knives. This is probably the one you want: (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

You've had a lot of restaurant meals that were prepped with that, and it's priced like it's still the 20th century. 

You'll need to think about sharpening no matter what you buy.

I still have one in my catering knife roll!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks, this seems to fit the bill and with a great price to boot. 

I was looking at reviews of the Global G-2. It comes recommended by several review sites. It's more expensive than the Victorinix but seems very nice. Then again, I will defer to opinions from people that know something 🙂

Edited by glenn
grammar (log)

I have a lot of Victorinox, and will also endorse that pick. I have a 10-inch, but for most people the 8 is a better pick. The handles are large and comfortable, and they aren't slippery even when wet or greasy. As for PaulRaphael's observation about sharpening, you'll find that a Victorinox takes an edge much more readily than a lot of higher-prestige knives. The downside/tradeoff is that you'll need to do it more often, but I'm personally okay with that. I have an inexpensive whetstone and give mine a few licks whenever it seems to need it, and that's about it.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@glenn 

excellent questions 

based on this 

''  I am an infrequent cook, unskilled with knife handling and don't want to spend a fortune.  ''

as mentioned :

Voctorinox.

amazon victoriunox knives

and indeed the prices have gone up , making with everything lese

they do come in wood

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=victorinox+knife&qid=1676314805&sr=8-2

and 

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Curved-Fibrox-Boning-Flexible/dp/B0019WQDOU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=victorinox+knife&qid=1676314805&sr=8-4

gets you set for quite some time.

and that curved boning knife ?

just wait until you start using it , 

for , whatever .

a keeper

I had one of these knives

a very very long time ago

8 " , wooden handle 

possibly this one

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Cutlery-Rosewood-8-Inch/dp/B0019WZEUE/ref=sr_1_55?keywords=victorinox+knife&qid=1676314805&sr=8-55&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

ir was a joy to use and easy to take care off.

the curved boning style

took me 25 years +++  to appreciate

maybe more

I was busy .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glenn said:

Thanks, this seems to fit the bill and with a great price to boot. 

I was looking at reviews of the Global G-2. It comes recommended by several review sites. It's more expensive than the Victorinix but seems very nice. Then again, I will defer to opinions from people that know something 🙂

I agree the Victorinox is a solid recommendation.  With respect to the Global, my SIL had a set of them.  I used them quit a bit and very much disliked the grip. Never got comfortable with them. Obviously, that's a very personal thing and you may love it but it's something to consider. 

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I used them quit a bit and very much disliked the grip.

I bought one (a Global) a long time ago, and never liked the handle/grip.  It has been used so little it still has its original edge! 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I enjoyed the Global grip.

hand sizes vary.   and I got a decent set from BB&B

over time

they are very difficult to sharpen 

and Id been sharpening all my knives 

free hand , w water stones .  

( my french-- german cretic knives )

Global got e to  the Edge-Pro 

knife system , and Im grateful to the whole experience 

they moved on ' en block '  to a friends home

he EP's them , from time to time

and they keep his Watanabe's safe .

start w the Vic. knives 

and slowing augmented them 

as your time and interest evolves.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Thanks everyone. I ordered the $44 Victorinox.

While I'm here, is there a magical device available for knife sharpening? I'm prehistoric and have yet to sharpen a knife. And there's no service that I'm aware of in my area.

@glenn 

Congratulations !

''  is there a magical device available for knife sharpening '

my ilatics , for fun.

no   

but as you are looking for a way to kept sharp

and there are good ways to begin with

think of your New Knive's Best Friend :

its pal the cutting board.

it maters , and its easy to get somehting

that matches the VC.

just get bigger , rather than smaller .

depending on how you've sharpened or 

otherwise felt with w your other knives 

a stater Pull-Through might  be a consideration.

do some thinking for your self :

what's sharp for me ? 

what have I done before tor sharpness ?

I think you are going to fave some fun

one step at a time .

• Like 2