• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prawn Curry with Coconut Milk

KennethT

This video popped up on my YouTube feed.  Not only is it interesting, but I found it really relaxing to watch in a kind of meditative way... how she doesn't cut her hands prepping the vegetables like that is beyond me.

• Thanks 6

Thanks - nice video. Love those coconut graters. When I first started using coconut the only option was cracking a whole one, So after prying meat out I used a blender and warmish water doing succisive hand squeezing for first rich, second,  last. I'd no idea about the more traditional graters.  The knife techniques - always interesting to see the chopping, slicing, paring in hand. I grew up that way and in videos most often see women globally doing it. Sharp  knife and practice =- second nature.  Drives my father the butcher crazy when he catches me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerala said:

This lady has been on here before, i can't remember who posted. She's the real deal. Her knife skills are fantastic and utterly unselfconscious, as is all of her cooking.

huh. I've never seen her, but so glad YouTube thought I might like it.  For once, being creepy is a good thing.  Plus, it's just so relaxing watching her - between the rhythmic chopping and the insects/birds in the background, I feel like I'm right there with her.  I don't know how they got the sound to be so clear but it's fantastic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

how she doesn't cut her hands prepping the vegetables like that is beyond me.

She is a skilled and confident cook and a joy to watch. That knife seems to be an extension of her hand.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 6 months later...