• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Father of Peeps Dies, Age 98

gulfporter

May he rest in peeps. Probably the worst most insulting use of sugar ever conceived. And, with his degrees in engineering, etc. he could have invented something worthwhile, besides a microwave experiment for nerds. But now he's in the record books. I'm sure y'all  could come up with some hilarious ideas for his tombstone.

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

May he rest in peeps. Probably the worst most insulting use of sugar ever conceived. And, with his degrees in engineering, etc. he could have invented something worthwhile, besides a microwave experiment for nerds. But now he's in the record books. I'm sure y'all  could come up with some hilarious ideas for his tombstone.

I disagree: the worst candy concoction ever is Tootsie Rolls. 

When I lived in US I would buy 4 or 5 packs of Easter Peeps and poke the cellophane several times with a pencil.  I'd let each pack sit a minimum of 2 weeks up to 6 weeks  Try it and maybe you'll agree that Peeps are best when aged and a tad dry around the edges. 

I never liked them nor did my son, but they were the harbinger of the Spring/Easter treat season. Visually cute to me but taste - bottom of list. One has to admire the creator of such a trend - w/o social media etc.  The expansion to other hoidays - well good marketing but  lost the thjread.

Peeps: Marshmallowly Goodness is a perennial topic around here.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown