• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

There are many food stalls on 2 floors inside the market. We are back there eating.
hs6YCaC.jpg

I ordered one with green sauce.
MIYEDRf.jpg

ynsidTf.jpg

Turns out, the "parrot" (perico) is a big flour tortilla filled with meat and whole beans, topped with lots of melted cheese.
HsNaJpJ.jpg

Needed some eggs and they don't make them without the bean puree and red sauced tortillas.
ODH86tr.jpg

The "food court" is well organised, the stalls can be big or small, no concrete benches like in 2 other cities I have visited (Oaxaca, Morelia). One thing is the same everywhere, though, the stalls all vie so furiously for customers.
bRaCOTQ.jpg

Repurposing a chilli sauce bottle. They also use drink bottles.
IbK5dPd.jpg

Chilli shopping
Vk2Hnip.jpg

gR9jgpE.jpg

Second time seeing habanero seco
txXWi6m.jpg

H7vg7HS.jpg

9TO7Egb.jpg

Another spelling is "pulla". Same pronunciation.
Slg4syg.jpg

Mexican marjoram . Leaves must be big. Mine in the garden is much smaller.
N5gdM3x.jpg

2 different colourss of hibiscus. Darker has more color and lighter red has more taste. I notice Mexicans order a glass or a whole pitcher.
Eaq4wyv.jpg

My chilli collection so far. I had to check how much room I had left after filling my bag with these.
xZdD6BI.jpg

Back to the market...
6I3pdMN.jpg

McIaDGB.jpg

I might regret eating these blood cockles. Nothing happened but next time I would rather them cooked. These are not hairy like ones I ate in Asia.
RYYW8gE.jpg

Prawns in a spicy sauce. Not really "spicy". Some toursits be like "I don't like Mexican food. Chillis in every thing. Too spicy" Errr.... not always.
JQtLGb1.jpg

Snacks. Very sweet jackfruit (pods). Red balls are tamarind with chilli.
EXa4HEy.jpg

Dgz7ITV.jpg

Sugarcane juice. The chilli/salt/lime trays are for other fruits.
vlFGo6f.jpg

Next to the sugarcane stall is another fruit stall and they have these beautiful wild pineapples that busted my lips.
Obba2Rp.jpg

I saw the sign there every day. Not sure why they think it's "flor de maguey". The name they use is pre-hispanic but pretty sure it's no flower of agave.
fGhJwIx.jpg

Some big celebration was happening in the centre. Huge press presence,  also a bigger presence of police and security. It was probably the birthday of the city, Guadalajara.
8hBY1Cs.jpg

NRj0oBc.jpg

So many designs
uqCUT7Q.jpg

Bart is entrepreneurial
ET3mtXZ.jpg

Cotton candy
kVDh2Fa.jpg

Boy noticed me with a camera and he smiled. I wasn't even trying to make a photo of him but he didn't stop smiling.
5Ezr0NA.jpg

PS: New to me on this trip that a bunch of sites are blocked, either partially or completely, by some internet providers. Surprisingly this site is partially block. Did not experience this on previous trips.

BonVivant

BonVivant

There are many food stalls on 2 floors inside the market. We are back there eating.
hs6YCaC.jpg

I ordered one with green sauce.
MIYEDRf.jpg

ynsidTf.jpg

Turns out, the "parrot" (perico) is a big flour tortilla filled with meat and whole beans, topped with lots of melted cheese.
HsNaJpJ.jpg

Needed some eggs and they don't make them without the bean puree and red sauced tortillas.
ODH86tr.jpg

The "food court" is well organised, the stalls can be big or small, no concrete benches like in 2 other cities I have visited (Oaxaca, Morelia).
bRaCOTQ.jpg

Repurposing a chilli sauce bottle. They also use drink bottles.
IbK5dPd.jpg

Chilli shopping
Vk2Hnip.jpg

gR9jgpE.jpg

Second time seeing habanero seco
txXWi6m.jpg

H7vg7HS.jpg

9TO7Egb.jpg

Another spelling is "pulla". Same pronunciation.
Slg4syg.jpg

Mexican marjoram . Leaves must be big. Mine in the garden is much smaller.
N5gdM3x.jpg

2 different colourss of hibiscus. Darker has more color and lighter red has more taste. I notice Mexicans order a glass or a whole pitcher.
Eaq4wyv.jpg

My chilli collection so far. I had to check how much room I had left after filling my bag with these.
xZdD6BI.jpg

Back to the market...
6I3pdMN.jpg

McIaDGB.jpg

I might regret eating these blood cockles. Nothing happened but next time I would rather them cooked. These are not hairy like ones I ate in Asia.
RYYW8gE.jpg

Prawns in a spicy sauce. Not really "spicy". Some toursits be like "I don't like Mexican food. Chillis in every thing. Too spicy" Errr.... not always.
JQtLGb1.jpg

Snacks. Very sweet jackfruit (pods). Red balls are tamarind with chilli.
EXa4HEy.jpg

Dgz7ITV.jpg

Sugarcane juice. The chilli/salt/lime trays are for other fruits.
vlFGo6f.jpg

Next to the sugarcane stall is another fruit stall and they have these beautiful wild pineapples that busted my lips.
Obba2Rp.jpg

I saw the sign there every day. Not sure why they think it's "flor de maguey". The name they use is pre-hispanic but pretty sure it's no flower of agave.
fGhJwIx.jpg

Some big celebration was happening in the centre. Huge press presence,  also a bigger presence of police and security. It was probably the birthday of the city, Guadalajara.
8hBY1Cs.jpg

NRj0oBc.jpg

So many designs
uqCUT7Q.jpg

Bart is entrepreneurial
ET3mtXZ.jpg

Cotton candy
kVDh2Fa.jpg

Boy noticed me with a camera and he smiled. I wasn't even trying to make a photo of him but he didn't stop smiling.
5Ezr0NA.jpg

PS: New to me on this trip that a bunch of sites are blocked, either partially or completely, by some internet providers. Surprisingly this site is partially block.