• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Every morning at 08:00 I go to the market for fruits and fresh tortillas. Tried another stall this time. Pineapple and papaya.
kB2a9re.jpg

10 pesos worth of fresh corn tortillas. You can buy them by weight. We can't finish a whole kilo (about 13 pesos). These avocados are twice as big as ones we get at home, literally butter with avocado taste. When you eat an avocado grown in Michoacan (biggest producer and best quality) you'll know why some people say avocado is like "butter from the forest". We hate giant bananas at home but love these tiny bananas in warm countries.
YgTXvUY.jpg

Ran into a juice stall somewhere inside the market, time I had more fruits. Milk + fruits are called licuados. I sometimes forget to tell them to leave out the sugar and cinnamon. Sugar + cinnamon ruin everything for me and then the partner will have to drink it. The other day I mentioned the mamey ice cream didn't taste too much of mamey. I wanted to know for sure if it's the dairy that suppresses the mamey taste so I ordered this milk drink to find out. As I had suspected, this drink tasted just like the ice cream in liquid form. Now I know, mamey is best eaten as a fruit and by itself.
5BdiGsi.jpg

Jygbgrf.jpg

Michoacan is the birth place of carnitas. Tried it at this unknown restaurant in a residential area. The owner of my lodging goes here sometimes for carnitas. He said "there's no tourists here". It's very dark inside and the lighting over my table is yellow (apologies for the crappy photos).
uZjgMul.jpg

NvqEs9u.jpg

HatLfTi.jpg

Pickled vegetables
tLhQJn1.jpg

Second time trying to drink beer at this beer bar, and finally it's open again after their 2 day break. Very bitter beers, the way I like it. Best craft beers so far on this trip is at this bar in Morelia. Emloyees were most kind and friendly, like almost all Mexicans I've encountered.
AxeFTlz.jpg

3wYTrIS.jpg

kKXJEHP.jpg

This second bar was a disappointment. They were also closed for 2 days, but today they had only 1 (one) beer on tap. Music was so loud it hurt my head and I had heavy duty earplugs. So we fled in record time.
iEeSaI1.jpg

gXpJrGs.jpg

Bought 3 bottles to go from the first bar.
CCfpQZu.jpg

17 century aqueduct. They say it has 250 arches but I didn't walk all the way to the end (several kilometres in length).
mWt58dG.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, heidih said:

The "green schnitzel" looks like a form of chile relleno.

These are not stuffed. They are flat and whole. I have seen them served as is on the same plate with beans/rice/other things.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, KennethT said:

Are the pasilla chillies there heavily smoked like the pasilla de Oaxaca?

Nothing at all like the incredible Pasilla Oaxaqueños. Pasilla and Oaxaqueños are 2 different types of chillies.

And sorry I have bad news for you, Pasilla Oaxaqueños are rare in the rest of Mexico so you need to go to Oaxaca to buy them. I will have to return to Oaxaca someday. My 3 kilos won't last forever.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Every morning at 08:00 I go to the market for fruits and fresh tortillas. Tried another stall this time. Pineapple and papaya.
kB2a9re.jpg

10 pesos worth of fresh corn tortillas. You can buy them by weight. We can't finish a whole kilo (about 13 pesos). These avocados are twice as big as ones we get at home, literally butter with avocado taste. When you eat an avocado grown in Michoacan (biggest producer and best quality) you'll know why some people say avocado is like "butter from the forest". We hate giant bananas at home but love these tiny bananas in warm countries.
YgTXvUY.jpg

Ran into a juice stall somewhere inside the market, time I had more fruits. Milk + fruits are called licuados. I sometimes forget to tell them not to add any sugar and cinnamon. Sugar or cinnamon ruins everything for me and then the partner will have to drink it. The other day I mentioned the mamey ice cream didn't taste too much of mamey. I wanted to know for sure if it's the dairy that supresses the mamey taste so I ordered this milk drink. As I had suspected, this drink tasted just like the ice cream in liquid form. Now I know, mamey is best eaten as a fruit and by itself.
5BdiGsi.jpg

Jygbgrf.jpg

Michoacan is the birth place of carnitas. Tried it at this unknown restaurant in a residential area. The owner of my lodging goes here sometimes for carnitas. He said there's no tourists here. It's very dark inside and the lighting over my table is yellow.
uZjgMul.jpg

NvqEs9u.jpg

HatLfTi.jpg

Pickled vegetables
tLhQJn1.jpg

Second time trying to drink beer at this beer bar, and finally it's open again after their 2 day break. Very bitter beers, the way I like it. Best craft beers so far on this trip is at this bar in Morelia. Emloyees were most kind and friendly, like almost all Mexicans I've encountered.
AxeFTlz.jpg

3wYTrIS.jpg

kKXJEHP.jpg

This second bar was a disappointment. They were also closed for 2 days, but today they had only 1 (one) beer on tap. Music was so loud it hurt my head and I had heavy duty earplugs. So we fled in record time.
iEeSaI1.jpg

gXpJrGs.jpg

Bought 3 bottles to go from the first bar.
CCfpQZu.jpg

17 century aqueduct. They say it has 250 arches but I didn't walk all the way to the end (several kilometres in length).
mWt58dG.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, heidih said:

The "green schnitzel" looks like a form of chile relleno.

These are not stuffed. They are flat and whole. I have seen them served as is on the same plate with beans/rice/other things.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, KennethT said:

Are the pasilla chillies there heavily smoked like the pasilla de Oaxaca?

Nothing at all like the incredible Pasilla Oaxaqueños. Pasilla and Oaxaqueños are 2 different types of chillies.

And sorry I have bad news for you, Pasilla Oaxaqueños are rare in the rest of Mexico so you need to go to Oaxaca to buy them. I will have to return to Oaxaca someday. My 3 kilos won't last forever.