• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English Muffins

How is your quest for the perfect home-baked English Muffin coming along? I regularly make them, but am only moderately happy with them -- full of holes, but there's something that's just not quite right about them.

Could you describe your process for tinkering with them?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This is exactly the sort of project I was describing somewhere else on this page, where you get so far and no further and have to put it aside. Your description of your English muffins "full of holes but something not quite right about them" is pretty much where I left things myself. Unlike you, however, I was so confident that I had found the missing key that I foolishly announced that I was going to publish my recipe in the next issue of SC, and even took some photographs of my prototypes. But, despite all the tinkering, they just weren't good enough.... And I just couldn't face another breakfast of them. Now, a year has passed, and I found myself mulling on the subject again. So....

Thanks, John.

I'll keep tweeking, and if I come upon the magic formula, you will be the first to know.

On another note, many moons ago, my dad gave my mom, my sister and me each copies of Simple Cooking for Xmas. My daughter Diana, age 12 (many e-gulleters will recall tales of this budding and talented cook), is currently reading Simple Cooking. It is "I Love To Read Month" in the Minneapolis Public Schools, and this is one of her chosen books, and she is enjoying it (and getting ideas). Come to think of it, I should probably go and get the book out of her hands -- she is probably asleep -- and turn off her night light.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thanks for sharing that. It makes me especially happy to find young readers. Messing around in the kitchen should be part of everyone's growing up. There's nothing better for the future of cooking than to learn how much fun it is before you have to learn how much work it is.