• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peperonata

weinoo

With any number of people expressing a dislike for bell peppers (green being the major offender, red another), and with references to pepperonata sprinkled throughout the forums, why not a dedicated topic?

Also, I just made a batch. Simple, classic Italian flavors. Fucking delicious.

Get over pepper problems and make this!

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And your method is? I don't dislike the taste, I just don't want to re-taste it all day. A physical issue versus a taste aversion.Mild but unpleasantside effect. All hot chiles I like adjvar - used to be a regular in my fridge.  I bought it but this recipe gives the idea. https://www.seriouseats.com/ajvar-serbian-roasted-red-pepper-sauce-recipe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Also, I just made a batch. Simple, classic Italian flavors.

We love peppers.  Use them, all colors, in our salads every second supper.  I've made Pepper Soup a number of times.  And they, of course, end up in all kinds of dishes.

I'd never heard of Pepperonata before.  Your recipe, please.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This recipe for peperonata is fairly classic.  And fairly stolen from this book (acknowledged as such)...

image.png.82d1d2d6b3f500b153190adbe621c3de.png

In which it is called "Peppers Roman Style."

To know more (than you really need to know), well - why not Serious Eats?

It's also spelled pepperonata.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

This recipe

To me it is very unfortunate that the illustration is not in the least in accord with the description of the finished dish. 

"Cover and let cook, stirring and checking occasionally, until the peppers have melted down into very soft, silky stew and the tomatoes have broken down into a thick sauce...."

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

This recipe for peperonata is fairly classic.  And fairly stolen from this book (acknowledged as such)...

image.png.82d1d2d6b3f500b153190adbe621c3de.png

In which it is called "Peppers Roman Style."

To know more (than you really need to know), well - why not Serious Eats?

It's also spelled pepperonata.

One question to all - the two recipes vary in one important aspect: the inclusion (or omission) of vinegar. For me, the sweet & sour aspect was always the hallmark of peperonata. In fact - at least in my head - it was was differentiated the dish from the similar French or Spanish vegetable stew ...

So: vinegar or no vinegar ?

23 hours ago, Duvel said:

One question to all - the two recipes vary in one important aspect: the inclusion (or omission) of vinegar. For me, the sweet & sour aspect was always the hallmark of peperonata. In fact - at least in my head - it was was differentiated the dish from the similar French or Spanish vegetable stew ...

So: vinegar or no vinegar ?

The standard recipes don't include vinegar, but in some regions (according to the recipes, Abruzzo and Sicily) it's sometimes added, and some recipes mention the option of doing an agrodolce version.

• Thanks 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org