• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulrush May 4, 5, 6, or 7?

Alex

Ms. Alex and I will be in StL May 3-9 and of course will dine at Bulrush one of those evenings. We'd certainly love to make Bulrush -- and maybe other restaurants or activities (Cards-Tigers game!) -- an eGullet get-together. Anyone interested? 

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Anyone else? Chris H? edsel? cyalexa?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...

I really wish I could join but like @TdeV, I'm not completely comfortable with indoor gatherings, though that could change.

In addition to the opportunity to dine at Bulrush, another event that nudges me in the direction of paying a visit to St. Louis this spring/summer/fall is the Chihuly in the Garden exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  I've seen those Chihuly garden shows in multiple places and loved them all.  They're especially spectacular when illuminated in the evening, though I always like seeing them both in the daytime and at night. 

• Like 1

That would be lovely, @blue_dolphin. The photos look enticing. The last time I was at Missouri Bot there were a couple of Chihuly sculptures here and there. Very nice.

Sadly, for or the two week period 19 Feb to 4 March there were 5,854 deaths in the US and 516,414 cases. (google). Almost no one wears a mask here (except me).

I'm not sure what it would take for me to feel safer. Another vaccine, perhaps?

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I really wish I could join but like @TdeV, I'm not completely comfortable with indoor gatherings, though that could change.

In addition to the opportunity to dine at Bulrush, another event that nudges me in the direction of paying a visit to St. Louis this spring/summer/fall is the Chihuly in the Garden exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  I've seen those Chihuly garden shows in multiple places and loved them all.  They're especially spectacular when illuminated in the evening, though I always like seeing them both in the daytime and at night. 

Thank you! I had missed that.

Four weeks (minus one day) before reservations open -- still time to reconsider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Sadly, for or the two week period 19 Feb to 4 March there were 5,854 deaths in the US and 516,414 cases. (google). Almost no one wears a mask here (except me).

I'm not sure what it would take for me to feel safer. Another vaccine, perhaps?

For a dinner at Bulrush alone, I think the risk may be acceptable (it’s not a huge jam-packed restaurant full of loud, boisterous groups shouting to be heard above the din) vs the benefit of a wonderful dining experience.  
The big BUT for me is that I really want to take the train and that adds a whole lot more people to the mix. I can wear a mask and order meals to my room but it would be more entertaining to eat in the dining car and meet people. 

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Four weeks (minus one day) before reservations open -- still time to reconsider.

I'll be considering!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

May 7 it was...

image.thumb.jpeg.d7e844b5c657e00076a9bd2112d4d36d.jpeg

acorn.jpg

asparagus.jpg

catfish.jpg

rhubarb.jpg

turnip.jpg

short rib.jpg

crumble.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

The bread wasn't part of the meal. He included the recipe because one of our "parting gifts" was a little packet of two watermelon seeds (I forget the varietal) for us to plant.

The first course was my favorite, with its unusual and unexpected flavors, construction, and presentation. The smoked catfish ice cream was the most challenging course. It worked, but I don't think I'll be making anything similar (Great Lakes smoked whitefish around here) at home. The only dud, imo, was the short rib dish. It was Rob's riff on Ozarkian meat and three, but it was a bit of a snoozer for me—although compensation was provided by the accompanying Syrah from the Languedoc, Monsieur Petit Myrmidon 2019 (not Myridon—a typo in the menu).

Here's the rest of the handout that was in our parting package:

Bulrush1.jpg

Bulrush2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, Shelby said:

Thanks for sharing the watermelon bread recipe.  I want to make this when ours are ripe!

We don't grow them, but I buy one or two each summer. I definitely want to try the recipe!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

I’d say it would be chunks of watermelon, possibly drained for a bit, and given a round in the FoPro or blender.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com