• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce Oysters

Anna N

Can anyone tell me what sauce oysters are? They are called for as an ingredient in an old English recipe for Lancashire Hotpot  from Victorian times.

I'm not asking about oyster sauce.  I am not asking about sauce for oysters. Both of which Google is happy to give me. 
Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A wild guess, based on reading of Mrs. Beeton's receipt for -- sorry, oyster sauce. Her oyster sauce is nothing like the Asian version, but instead seems to be oysters in a white sauce, meant to accompany fish or simply prepared chicken. So I'm wondering if sauce oysters are oysters suitable for making a sauce with -- not pretty enough for other presentations, but acceptable under a blanket of bechamel. Maybe?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

A wild guess, based on reading of Mrs. Beeton's receipt for -- sorry, oyster sauce. Her oyster sauce is nothing like the Asian version, but instead seems to be oysters in a white sauce, meant to accompany fish or simply prepared chicken. So I'm wondering if sauce oysters are oysters suitable for making a sauce with -- not pretty enough for other presentations, but acceptable under a blanket of bechamel. Maybe?

I wondered that, too.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can anyone tell me what sauce oysters are? They are called for as an ingredient in an old English recipe for Lancashire Hotpot  from Victorian times.

I'm not asking about oyster sauce.  I am not asking about sauce for oysters. Both of which Google is happy to give me. 
Thanks. 

Those are oysters that give you back talk when you try to open them. Oh, wait -- those are saucy oysters. Never mind. Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My guess, based on Googling "sauce oysters" "beeton", seems to suggest it was a size or grade of oyster.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Mrs_Beeton's_Book_of_Household_Management.djvu/414

That page shows recipes that include oysters and sauce oysters...

P.S. I just have to mention here that after all these years eating raw oysters, I finally won the vibriosis lottery last month! Not fun 🤢

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I would agree that sauce oysters must be oysters that you wouldn't want to eat otherwise, big ones most likely, like the biggest sized quahogs used for chowder. I still don't understand why you would want oysters in a stewed lamb and lamb kidney dish though. But in my dotage my imagination isn't what it used to be, nor are my tastebuds as inclusive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

oysters that you wouldn't want to eat otherwise, big ones most likely, like the biggest sized quahogs used for chowder.

In the last few months, there has been a craze here for huge oysters, to the extent that I can't get regular ones any more. The shops are too busy striving to sell the largest samples they can source.

O1CN01hEKIx9278vOBiJ5Ud_!!2205199567753.thumb.jpg.f5bab4efaa04bf46ce68c81a4167f300.jpg

Image from Taobao advertisement

I really don't understand it. I find that the medium sized are tastier and more appealing. Perhaps something to so with me eating them raw, where as the locals are sure they will drop dead instantly if they eat anything raw other than cucumber. They generally grill them with garlic.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-04-13/Live-A-peek-at-China-s-largest-oyster-farm-ZqxhHp9jkQ/index.html

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I would agree that sauce oysters must be oysters that you wouldn't want to eat otherwise, big ones most likely, like the biggest sized quahogs used for chowder. I still don't understand why you would want oysters in a stewed lamb and lamb kidney dish though. But in my dotage my imagination isn't what it used to be, nor are my tastebuds as inclusive.

If you care to Google you will find a number of recipes that include oysters in beef stews and beef pies. 

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

If you care to Google you will find a number of recipes that include oysters in beef stews and beef pies. 

Yes, I can see that. It doesn't appeal to me, though. I rarely eat beef and I like my oysters small and delicate, raw on the half shell. I've never really liked grilled oysters or oyster chowder or oyster po'boys or hangtown fry. For me the brine is half the pleasure. But I do understand how one might be inclined to throw a large stray oyster into a pot of stew rather than waste it. And I assume you might develop a taste for it if it was common in your neck of the woods.