• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

oysters that you wouldn't want to eat otherwise, big ones most likely, like the biggest sized quahogs used for chowder.

In the last few months, there has been a craze here for huge oysters, to the extent that I can't get regular ones any more. The shops are too busy striving to sell the largest samples they can source.

O1CN01hEKIx9278vOBiJ5Ud_!!2205199567753.thumb.jpg.f5bab4efaa04bf46ce68c81a4167f300.jpg

Image from Taobao advertisement

I really don't understand it. I find that the medium sized are tastier and more appealing. Perhaps something to so with me eating them raw, where as the locals are sure they will drop dead instantly if they eat anything raw other than cucumber. They generally grill them with garlic.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-04-13/Live-A-peek-at-China-s-largest-oyster-farm-ZqxhHp9jkQ/index.html

liuzhou

liuzhou

oysters that you wouldn't want to eat otherwise, big ones most likely, like the biggest sized quahogs used for chowder.

In the last few months, there has been a craze here for huge oysters, to the extent that I can't get regular ones any more. The shops are too busy striving to sell the largest samples they can source.

I really don't understand it. I find that the medium sized are tastier and more appealing. Perhaps something to so with me eating them raw, where as the locals are sure they will drop dead instantly if they eat anything raw other than cucumber. They generally grill them with garlic.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-04-13/Live-A-peek-at-China-s-largest-oyster-farm-ZqxhHp9jkQ/index.html

liuzhou

liuzhou