• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

Just now, curls said:

Almost time! When are we planning to start at Tomric on Friday?

Around 9 am.

Someone want to put together an chat group of some sort? It's not in my skill set.

53 minutes ago, lironp said:

I can create a WhatsApp group if that works? Ill add whoever dms me their phone number

Sorry, not a WhatsApp user. I am willing to set up a Signal group. Same deal... need to have mobile phone numbers from all who would like to participate.  @lironp are you ok with Signal?

Or we could create a new Facebook group and limit it to this year's workshop participants. 

Edited by curls (log)

1 hour ago, curls said:

Sorry, not a WhatsApp user. I am willing to set up a Signal group. Same deal... need to have mobile phone numbers from all who would like to participate.  @lironp are you ok with Signal?

Or we could create a new Facebook group and limit it to this year's workshop participants. 

I don’t use Facebook Messenger, Signal or WhatsApp, but will use whatever the group decides. Wondering though - would an old fashioned text/SMS group work?

Patty

I recently made some delicious key lime bonbons but my chocolate wasn't tempered well so I have some uglies.  Would it be weird to bring those for the tasting/sharing time? : ) 

I'm really looking forward to it and want to thank those of you that have done all the planning!

Will anyone staying at the hotel have a car or be willing to carpool up to Tomric?  Also, is anyone interested in going to see Niagara Falls or the Frank L. Wright House if time allows (maybe Sunday late afternoon)?

Anne R.

2 hours ago, patris said:

I don’t use Facebook Messenger, Signal or WhatsApp, but will use whatever the group decides. Wondering though - would an old fashioned text/SMS group work?

Yes, an old fashioned text/SMS group should work. Only disadvantages that I can think of are SMS charges (if you don't have unlimited messaging) and a messier interface (the messaging apps generally do a better job of displaying and organizing group chats).

So I have been keeping an eye on the weather forecast and there is a good chance that Saturday evening will also be rainy. Kerry arrived at my house a couple hours ago and we have been debating what to do about the Saturday get together - my house is too small to accommodate the full group and the shade sail on the patio is not waterproof so al fresco is a no go. We have concluded that the best course of action is for everyone to plan for Saturday evening on your own, and we will use the budget we had reserved for the original gathering for nicer lunches than DIY cold cut sandwiches.

To that end, we were wondering who would be wanting lunch on Sunday before you head out - if there is interest I could arrange box lunches that could be eaten at Tomric or taken with you for your travels - let me know what you think.

• Thanks 1

Patty

5 hours ago, lironp said:

Any suggestions for amount of chocolates to bring for the tasting? Also, will anyone be in the tomric event on Thursday? 

Usually just 25 which was our suspected number of participants - if a mold only holds 24 though - don't make an extra single chocolate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anniebakes said:

I recently made some delicious key lime bonbons but my chocolate wasn't tempered well so I have some uglies.  Would it be weird to bring those for the tasting/sharing time? : ) 

I'm really looking forward to it and want to thank those of you that have done all the planning!

Will anyone staying at the hotel have a car or be willing to carpool up to Tomric?  Also, is anyone interested in going to see Niagara Falls or the Frank L. Wright House if time allows (maybe Sunday late afternoon)?

Anne R.

Nothing wrong with uglies - mine this year are some experiments in the moon effect - which varies by colour I have discovered. So I've got my fair share of uglies too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patris said:

To that end, we were wondering who would be wanting lunch on Sunday before you head out - if there is interest I could arrange box lunches that could be eaten at Tomric or taken with you for your travels - let me know what you think.

Lunch would be nice but if there isn't much interest I'm also fine taking care of my own lunch Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, lironp said:

Any suggestions for amount of chocolates to bring for the tasting? Also, will anyone be in the tomric event on Thursday? 

Yes. I'm planning on stopping in on Thursday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anniebakes said:

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nothing wrong with uglies - mine this year are some experiments in the moon effect - which varies by colour I have discovered. So I've got my fair share of uglies too. 

I probably shouldn't put my oar in, since I'm not coming and not a confectioner / chocolatier, but I'm glad to see the "uglies" will be brought too. I'd think those would be especially good for teaching and analysizing. For instance, Kerry's having discovered that the moon effect depends on the color. How cool is it to learn that, and how useful to know!

I am looking forward to a report afterward, and I wish you all a wonderful time!

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Going to start a report now - for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet we are starting at Tomric 9 o'clock this am. Address is 85 River Rock Road and come in the Innovation Center entrance.  Dinner will be at TCB - 1275 Delaware Ave  

• Like 1

The Workshop has started! Please see the full report here.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown