• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

lironp

tandemchocoPC

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

Audrey Brown +1 (Melanie)

alleguede 

tikidoc +1 (maybe Maddie)

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

If the hotel cost is going to be $215/night plus tax - will that be a huge issue? Because it's looking like that might be the best we can do. 

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

If the hotel cost is going to be $215/night plus tax - will that be a huge issue? Because it's looking like that might be the best we can do. 

Won't stop me.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Kerry Beal

lironp

tandemchocoPC

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

carol lang

So had a lovely chat this morning with Paul Yochum who is at the instructor at the Chicago Chocolate Academy. We batted around some ideas for masters classes - I don't have the paper where I wrote down the titles we came up with - but essentially ganache flavour development in the morning and rethinking childhood favorites in the afternoon. We will flesh it out over time. He is still waiting for permission from his overlords but it seems promising. 

• Like 2

Kerry Beal

lironp

tandemchocoPC

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

carol lang

kimmiq

Kerry Beal

lironp

tandemchocoPC

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

carol lang

kimmiq

Haley + Kelsey + Britney

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

On 2/16/2023 at 6:28 PM, Kerry Beal said:

So had a lovely chat this morning with Paul Yochum who is at the instructor at the Chicago Chocolate Academy. We batted around some ideas for masters classes - I don't have the paper where I wrote down the titles we came up with - but essentially ganache flavour development in the morning and rethinking childhood favorites in the afternoon. We will flesh it out over time. He is still waiting for permission from his overlords but it seems promising. 

So unfortunately Paul has now discovered a competing engagement - going to have to give some more thought to this - perhaps we should run our own masters classes. 

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So unfortunately Paul has now discovered a competing engagement - going to have to give some more thought to this - perhaps we should run our own masters classes. 

Or just have three days of the standard workshop.

54 minutes ago, curls said:

Or just have three days of the standard workshop.

Good idea! I was thinking I wanted to show a few decorating techniques - I'm thinking I can learn and teach the moon one. And the fractal one and the galaxy one. 

I spoke with Fuji and Jim no longer works for them. So the great deal we had before with them is no longer available. They can do a 25% discount - so perhaps I'll get a coupon from them for that and we can offer it as a 'door prize'. Does mean however we won't have a Fuji to play with at the workshop though. 

Perhaps if someone who is driving can bring their Grex or Fuji? I'll check with Brian and see what airbrush they have available. 

• Like 1

I'd be interested in the moon and galaxy decorating techniques.  The fractal is a great one but I  already know how to do that, still a great technique to learn.

With three days we can make some time consuming, multi component, or layered items. I'm interested in some of the fancy candy bars I have seen popping up on instagram and in Greweling's 2nd edition. Would be fun to experiment with flavor combinations. 

Sorry, I don't have an airbrush.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, curls said:

I'd be interested in the moon and galaxy decorating techniques.  The fractal is a great one but I  already know how to do that, still a great technique to learn.

With three days we can make some time consuming, multi component, or layered items. I'm interested in some of the fancy candy bars I have seen popping up on instagram and in Greweling's 2nd edition. Would be fun to experiment with flavor combinations. 

Sorry, I don't have an airbrush.

Can probably volunteer @Alleguede for some bars. 

I would love to learn a bit about the business side of things if anyone is willing to share. From small home businesses to full on chocolate shops, I would love to hear everyone’s best practices, see each other’s packaging/labels, hear what people have learned along the way. Maybe in a class setting, or panel of people sharing, or even a discussion over lunch/dinner one day. 

• Like 3

Is there any possibility for a “remote” session, Zoom or similar, for those of us too far away to attend.  I appreciate that this will only give a snapshot of the event but it would be great to join in at a distance.  

33 minutes ago, DianaB said:

Is there any possibility for a “remote” session, Zoom or similar, for those of us too far away to attend.  I appreciate that this will only give a snapshot of the event but it would be great to join in at a distance.  

Sadly no - we aren't able to do that.

• Like 1

Ok - two options to book the hotel - the hotel is 'Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo-Downtown' - phone hotel directly (716) 855 2223 - we are apparently the "Tomric Systems Chocolate Tasting" - or you can book online once I get a valid link!

There is an additional charge for parking.

Cut off is April 18th for bookings. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ok - two options to book the hotel - phone hotel directly (716) 855 2223 - we are apparently the "Tomric Systems Chocolate Tasting" - or you can book online with this link.

Cut off is April 18th for bookings. 

Kerry, that link isn't working... it is linking to this topic.