• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

13 hours ago, ambra said:

Thank you! You were right though, totally booked up for ages. 😃

Yes - "back in the day" it was a much easier rental (they do have another property right nearby - did you see that?).  Prior to staying here a number of times, we'd found a place via VRBO, and liked it a lot; then that place came off the market. So - it's always something, as Roseanne Roseannadanna might have said.

Le Grand Bain

Le Grand Bain is a place we're somewhat familiar with, having dined here on previous trips. As we like a lot, and as it's open on Sundays, it works quite well.  This particular Sunday night, however - slightly different, as it was World Cup final night...and we know the results of that! (Yes, France lost to Argentina...on PKs). Paris was insane, and we made the ridiculous mistake of trying to take the Metro to the restaurant. Long story short - we ended up walking, all the way to the restaurant, in the rain. 

Another little side story...I've been semi-watching this cooking show called Paris Bistro Cooking, for a bit of time now. It's not a competition show, which makes it at least watchable, in my opinion.  Turns out the chef on the show is actually the chef at Le Grand Bain; I'd never put the two together until I saw the credits at the end of an episode. Weird.

We were seated next to this really cute (okay, hot), young couple from Germany. They were quite interested in some of the dishes we'd ordered, and asked for advice on what they might like, which was fun sort of helping them along with their meal. Even let them taste one or two of our dishes before we'd taken a bite, something I rarely do (did I mention they were hot?).

Anyway, what'd we eat again?

IMG_7994.thumb.jpeg.9581b2eb8ffdb790a84cdc7e348ecf22.jpeg

This! Gratin Dauphinois.

IMG_7996.thumb.jpeg.419611c77e54db3efeba4b4b621858a6.jpeg

This head gets the heads turning for sure.  Head of a sea bass,.

IMG_7997.thumb.jpeg.56c1605cfbd38462aebe22b79c5b15cd.jpeg

A nice hunk of pork, with the crispiest skin...quite good.

There was also Céleri-Rave Rémoulade, a snack of panisse, a play on Tuscan ribollita, and (evidently, as I look at the bill), 2 desserts.

IMG_8001.thumb.jpeg.9bb5986f5e4b4837bd5b97dfa7078fa3.jpeg

One of which was this tarte tatin.

A genuinely pleasant evening, on a rainy night in Paris.

weinoo

weinoo

3 hours ago, ambra said:

Yes - "back in the day" it was a much easier rental (they do have another property right nearby - did you see that?).  Prior to staying here a number of times, we'd found a place via VRBO, and liked it a lot; then that place came off the market. So - it's always something, as Roseanne Roseannadanna might have said.

Le Grand Bain

Le Grand Bain is a place we're somewhat familiar with, having dined here on previous trips. As we like a lot, and as it's open on Sundays, it works quite well.  This particular Sunday night, however - slightly different, as it was World Cup final night...and we know the results of that! (Yes, France lost to Argentina...on PKs). Paris was insane, and we made the ridiculous mistake of trying to take the Metro to the restaurant. Long story short - we ended up walking, all the way to the restaurant, in the rain. 

Another little side story...I've been semi-watching this cooking show called Paris Bistro Cooking, for a bit of time now. It's not a competition show, which makes it at least watchable, in my opinion.  Turns out the chef on the show is actually the chef at Le Grand Bain; I'd never put the two together until I saw the credits at the end of an episode. Weird.

We were seated next to this really cute (okay, hot), young couple from Germany. They were quite interested in some of the dishes we'd ordered, and asked for advice on what they might like, which was fun sort of helping them along with their meal. Even let them taste one or two of our dishes before we'd taken a bite, something I rarely do (did I mention they were hot?).

This! Gratin Dauyphinois.

There was also Céleri-Rave Rémoulade, a snack of panisse, a play on Tuscan ribollita, and (evidently, as I look at the bill), 2 desserts.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, ambra said:

Le Grand Bain

This! Panisse.

There was also Céleri-Rave Rémoulade, a gratin dauphinois, a play on Tuscan ribollita, and (evidently, as I look at the bill), 2 desserts.