• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Soup Maker -- any experience with them out there?

Susanwusan

1 hour ago, Susanwusan said:

Has anyone had experience of a soup maker - this type of thing https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/salter-ek5118-900w-1-46-6l-electric-soup-maker-45-stainless-steel

Might be interesting.

A sort of mini-ankarsrum (or whatever @JoNorvelleWalker has that does everything) for a fraction of the price

• Like 1

Looking at a similar product https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-HR2204-70-Collection-Stainless/dp/B07G3K9FM8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NR91UD9OE3VS&keywords=electric+soup+maker&qid=1675015112&sprefix=electric+soup+maker%2Caps%2C1408&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0 and its very frank instruction video...

Seems like many things need pre-cooking eg potatoes.

And its a roughly 30 minute cook time

Maybe not so useful

• Like 1

looking past the price

just a bit 

an iPot

small , 3 quart

as  size ay matter

is worth looking into

and saving up for 

it does a zillion things 

w the push of a burrow..

and indeed it does

I watched a YouTube video and it seems to me if you have a saucepan and a immersion blender you don't need one of these. But what do I know. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Might be interesting.

A sort of mini-ankarsrum (or whatever @JoNorvelleWalker has that does everything) for a fraction of the price

The Ankarsrum doesn't cook.  You may be thinking of the Blendtec I have used for soup.  Although now that I think of it, I have an as yet unused blender attachment for the Ankarsrum...

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Ankarsrum doesn't cook.  You may be thinking of the Blendtec I have used for soup.  Although now that I think of it, I have an as yet unused blender attachment for the Ankarsrum...

I was thinking of the Thermomix!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Alas, I do not have one yet.

I see one in all these Euro kitchen photos. Very pretty.

I've tried and tried to find a need for one....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came across the soup makers when I was out browsing the sales, wondering what I could buy that I never knew I wanted...  I'm having second thoughts having seen a video of one in action.  The concerning bits were the main video that says the lid is the heating device, and that in that video and the broccoli soup one, the word "cook" is never used, only the word "heat".  I'd always imagined it to be like a kettle with an immersion blender (hence posting under Immersion Blenders), the makers having got the idea from people boiling eggs in kettles while on holiday. 

• Thanks 1