• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Douglas on the Radio

What is the deal with this guy? Is he the world's biggest Publicity Hound? He makes Magic Johnson look like a shrinking violet. My 13 year old son is thinking of doing a public access TV show do you think Douglas would like to do a spot on additions to Kraft Dinner. It may interest him because I could guarantee at least 3 viewers.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

My 13 year old son is thinking of doing a public access TV show do you think Douglas would like to do a  spot on additions to Kraft Dinner. It may interest him because I could guarantee at least 3 viewers.

He'd come on the show, so long as your son would let him pitch his Rubs With Love. :biggrin:

Honestly, though, I will listen to his show.

As far as radio goes, I don't think there's enough food stuff on! I used to listen to Brian Poor's show (what happened to that guy? Is he still on?) And I also like Lynn Rosetto Kasper (sp?) of Splendid Table, but I'm ticked they moved her show from Wednesday nights to Sunday afternoons on KUOW (it was much better on Wednesday nights).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I actually find Tom Douglas to be friendly and knowledgable. He comes across well on both TV and Radio but come on enough is enough. Lynn Rosetto's show can be listened to on the web at her website. To find the address go to Sautewednesday or the mamster wesite. She is excellent, I have her book about Emelia Romagna.

I have a little trouble with the folksy NPR banter though. "yes it is the finest bowling alley food in Texas"

"Really fine food in a bowling alley?"

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

As far as radio goes, I don't think there's enough food stuff on! I used to listen to Brian Poor's show (what happened to that guy? Is he still on?) And I also like Lynn Rosetto Kasper (sp?) of Splendid Table, but I'm ticked they moved her show from Wednesday nights to Sunday afternoons on KUOW (it was much better on Wednesday nights).

I definitely think KUOW needs a weekly food show. They have a wildly popular weekly show about gardening, so why not all things food? They occasionally have on Hsiao-Ching Chou and the man who runs(?) Chefshop, maybe every 3 months or so, but I'm sure it would be popular as a more regular feature. Maybe not with those folks in particular.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I have a little trouble with the folksy NPR banter though. "yes it is the finest bowling alley food in Texas"

"Really fine food in a bowling alley?"

BLAH HAH AHAAAA! You apparently haven't dined at Lalani Lanes in North Seattle. Besides being the best karaoke place in Seattle, Lelani serves some splended cuisine (KIDDING! I always eat at the nearby Dick's before and/or after heading to Lalani).

I too find that folksy NPR banter irritating and totally dorky to the point that it sometimes make me physically wince with pain. What I really like on LRK's show, though, that is totally dorky and folksy, is when the Sterns do their check-ins. I LOVE hearing about their road food finds! I've often been tempted to e-mail them weird finds in the more rural areas of Washington (like great eats at the Happy Taco in Othello).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I definitely think KUOW needs a weekly food show.  They have a wildly popular weekly show about gardening, so why not all things food?  They occasionally have on Hsiao-Ching Chou and the man who runs(?) Chefshop, maybe every 3 months or so, but I'm sure it would be popular as a more regular feature.  Maybe not with those folks in particular.

They definitely need a weekly local food show, but NOT with HCC. Uh uh. Would not listen to that.

I would listen if Mamster was on though. :biggrin:

Hey... an idea! An e-gullet show!! Public access? Public radio? hmmmm......

-- Frank Bruni

I definitely think KUOW needs a weekly food show.  They have a wildly popular weekly show about gardening, so why not all things food?  They occasionally have on Hsiao-Ching Chou and the man who runs(?) Chefshop, maybe every 3 months or so, but I'm sure it would be popular as a more regular feature.  Maybe not with those folks in particular.

They definitely need a weekly local food show, but NOT with HCC. Uh uh. Would not listen to that.

I would listen if Mamster was on though. :biggrin:

Hey... an idea! An e-gullet show!! Public access? Public radio? hmmmm......

:laugh: That's exactly why I said not those folks. Last time HCC was on, she got needlessly pissy. I remember it was right before Thanksgiving. I was thinking, "Woah, if you didn't want to do the show, you should've just said 'no thanks.'"

Mamster on the radio -- that would be brilliant. And he has a wicked laugh.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

HAHAHA! Let's mass e-mail KUOW and start promoting Mamster as their next host. He DOES have a wicked laugh, although the one and only time I met him and Laurie, Mamster was sick and he said his laugh and humor weren't up to full speed :biggrin:

I've heard HCC on KUOW's afternoon show too, can't remember what it was for because she was so unremarkable, but I remember getting irritated with her whole attitude and switching over to The End to listen to Flashback Jukebox. :biggrin:

-- Frank Bruni

I *LOVE* mamster's laugh and I believe he could do a decent radio show. You know, this isn't a bad idea. We could easily get members from around the world to do interviews. I nominate Jaymes, Awbrig and Adam.

Hmmm, how do we get this off the ground?

Yup, as anticipated, the a.m. format left little time for the program. But TD did mention two sources for locally made chocolates, gave away 3 truffle prizes, and fumbled a bit through the Q&A'a. Lots of talk about brussel sprouts, no controversy - except the guy who claimed the bread in the area is awful - but I think he was only referring to sliced sandwich bread used in cheap delis and such.

Really made KUOW's show sound great on Sunday.

• 1 year later...

This show has been renewed. Does anyone make an effort to listen besides me?

Tom, along with Thierry have gotten much better over time, despite the a.m. radio format. They have had some very good guests, including some fellow egulleteers. Mostly stopped having call ins and prizes. Tom has mentioned not liking web food sites that create anonymous pans of restaurants - wonder if he was referring to this or some other site? He's had good and bad reports here.

• 3 months later...

Today he was at the U District Farmers Market. Had a radio interview with Russ Parsons discussing tomatoes, and live with Ed Levine. If you were listening and stopped by with the secret word, he'd give you a book. Didn't get there myself.