• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chouriço question

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Is the recipe Portuguese, Brazilian, Goan or something else?  

It's Portuguese.

https://tasteporto.com/portuguese-favorites-cozido-a-portuguesa/

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I would think that the  chouriço would be the least of my questions about this recipe. What about the puddings? What about the meat bouillon? What about the Portuguese cabbage? Collards? Kale? Translation issues?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I disagree. In the preparation, the chouriço is used with the sausages, while the meat “chouriço” (with parentheses in the procedure) is added with the other meats …

it could be cured and/or smoked meat …

Edited by Duvel (log)

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would think that the  chouriço would be the least of my questions about this recipe. What about the puddings? What about the meat bouillon? What about the Portuguese cabbage? Collards? Kale? Translation issues?

Yes, I realised there are other questions. I chose to ask the one that confused me most. The bouillons are, I'm sure, stock cubes. 'Bouillon' is seldom used outside of that context. The cabbage could be kale which is used in Portugal. Yes, probably translation issues.

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

From the way the recipe is written, I'd guess the chouriço might be blood chouriço and the meat chouriço would be sausage. 

I thought that but the next ingredient is blood sausage.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Must be a typo or unclear translation. It should be 1 regular chouriço, plus 1 chouriço de sangue (contains blood, looks completely black). I have had a look in my fantastic Portuguese book to see the ingredients for cozido.

It's my number one Portuguese dish, which surprises all Portuguese. This is how they know how much a foreigner loves their cuisine or country as it's not a dish many tourists know about or want to eat whilst on a short holiday.

Cozido de Portuguesa, is also Portugal's most loved dish, on par with sardinhas assadas.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Must be a typo or unclear translation. It should be 1 regular chouriço, plus 1 chouriço de sangue (contains blood, looks completely black). I have had a look in my fantastic Portuguese book to see the ingredients for cozido.

It's my number one Portuguese dish, which surprises all Portuguese. This is how they know how much a foreigner loves their cuisine or country as it's not a dish many tourists know about or want to eat whilst on a short holiday.

Cozido de Portuguesa, is also Portugal's most loved dish, on par with sardinhas assadas.

I've eaten it in Portugal, but I don't think there is ONE incontravertible recipe.

The company got back to me very quickly. Here is the relevant content of their message.

Thank you for your email and your interest in our Cozido recipe.

Some of the issues you're reporting have to do with very specific Portuguese items that have no equivalent in other languages or cultures. But let's see if I can clear somethings up:
  1. When someone speaks of "meat chouriço" as opposed to "chouriço", they mean a type of "chouriço" that has a lot more meat in it. A regular "chouriço" tends to have more fat and be something you use more for flavoring than actual eating. It's a fine line, but it does make a difference. In a Portuguese supermarket, you should look for the expression "chouriço de carne" or "chouriça de carne", when looking for the "meat chouriço".
  2. In British English, pudding has several meanings, including in the dessert realm. When we're talking in the savory realm, it pertains to blood sausages. Perhaps you've been to Ireland and had their typical "black pudding" and "white pudding"? Those are blood sausages and in Portugal we have them too, but the recipe is very different from the Irish and British versions. In a Portuguese supermarket, you should look for "morcela" (this one has more blood) and "moira" (this one has more wine).
  3. Indeed, the expression "rice pudding" is only used in the dessert realm so I admit that is misleading. There's a special type of blood sausage in which the stuffing also contains rice. In a Portuguese supermarket, you should look for "morcela de arroz". If all else fails, you could go Spanish, since they have one too called "morcilla de arroz" or "morcilla de Burgos" but, although it's delicious, it's VERY different from ours.
  4. Ah! If only you knew the discussions we've had around the cabbage subject... In Portuguese, we call it "penca" and we don't know it to exist anywhere else. It's a meaty cabbage, in the sense that its leaves are thick and hearty. It grows very very tall and we only eat the top, with the leaves. I don't have anything in English to show it to you, but perhaps you can use the image and text on this official government website to better understand what it is.  
  5. Another example of cultural differences: in Portugal, when we say "white beans", we only mean one type. You should look for cannellini or white kidney beans. That's what we mean.
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

From the way the recipe is written, I'd guess the chouriço might be blood chouriço and the meat chouriço would be sausage. 

Agree.   If you click on the link to the original in Portuguese it identifies the other as chourico de sangre 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Agree.  

Not according to the reply to my email.

When someone speaks of "meat chouriço" as opposed to "chouriço", they mean a type of "chouriço" that has a lot more meat in it. A regular "chouriço" tends to have more fat and be something you use more for flavoring than actual eating. It's a fine line, but it does make a difference. In a Portuguese supermarket, you should look for the expression "chouriço de carne" or "chouriça de carne", when looking for the "meat chouriço".

31 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If you click on the link to the original in Portuguese it identifies the other as chourico de sangre 

No it doesn't.

It identifies chouriço as Chouriço Corrente. After the two types of chouriço it calls for blood sausage, which in the Portuguese version is the Chouriço de Sangue.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The company got back to me very quickly. Here is the relevant content of their message

Nice response!  I also enjoyed all the discussion and the searching it prompted me to do. 
Gotta ask, are you or someone you know going to make this?  

• Like 2

I was looking at in terms of the nose-to-tail topic. I did eat it in Portugal about 35 years ago and remembered it was offal heavy. When I read the recipe it raised a lot of questions.

I doubt I'll make it here. 

a) I live alone

b) I'd have to make so many substitutions it would end up a different dish.

Sourcing the offal is the easy bit!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

The company has sent me a second email with a correction re the 'rice pudding'

there really should be only two references to blood sausage: the "morcela" (more blood) and the "moira" (more wine). As I was taught to make this, we don't even add the rice one but, being a national dish, you can imagine how many variations there are. My personal advice is that you focus on those two I mentioned above and, should you want to try the rice one, then go ahead and add that third type. It will be a bloodbath!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

As I was taught to make this, we don't even add the rice one but, being a national dish, you can imagine how many variations there are. My personal advice is that you focus on those two I mentioned above and, should you want to try the rice one, then go ahead and add that third type.

Funnily enough, the only blood sausages I can get use rice as the filler!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

My family lived in the Algarve for 20 years. Our cozidos had fewer ingredients and not very complicated. Brisket, pork hocks, potatoes, cabbage,  onions, carrots, chouriço sausages and a bay leaf, I think. Simmer together all morning and ladle into bowls for lunch, salad w/vinaigrette, lots of red wine, local cheese and figs from our tree for dessert.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com