• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato "scallops"

Dave the Cook

A riff on a recipe that originally came from Milkbar Memories (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Jane Lawson. She calls for russet potatoes, and we made the coating crisper.

1 pound medium Yukon gold potatoes

Oil for deep-frying

115 g (4 oz/3/4 C) A/P flour

110 g (4 oz/3/4C) rice flour

1 tsp salt

1-1/2 tsp baking powder

375 ml (12 fl oz/1-1/2 cups) club soda or beer

fine salt for sprinkling

Heat the oven to its lowest temperature, usually 170°F or 200°F.

Peel the potatoes and cut into slices 1/3-inch thick. Bring a pot of water to a boil (about 2 quarts)and add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Add the potato slices and cook for 5 minutes, or until they’re just beginning to become tender. Remove the potatoes to cool water until they’re cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, line your counter with clean towels.

Use a slotted spatula to carefully transfer the potato slices to your prepared bench, placing them in a single layer, then leaving until cool and fairly dry to the touch. Keep an eye on them because if left too long they will discolor.

Heat a deep fryer to 350°F. Alternatively, fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan 1/3 with oil and heat to 350°F, or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 15 seconds.

Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and make a well in the center. Gradually pour in the club soda or beer as you gently whisk to combine, until you have a smooth and thickish batter.

Working in batches, dip the potato slices into the batter and fry in the oil for 7–8 minutes, or until the batter is deep golden and very crisp.

Drain on a rack set over paper towels and sprinkle with fine sea salt. Serve immediately, or keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining potato scallops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The first food my first wife (the mother of my children) ate together was potato scallops made in a chip shop in Glasgow, Scotland. We were skint and scallops was the cheapest thing they had. But far from the worst. I have fond memories of that food; more than I do of the wife in question!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto