• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

The food creeps up on you. At first, you may not notice it. It's not like Eat, Drink, Man, Woman for example, opening with an orgy of food images. Instead it opens quietly with two young girls leaving home for the first time.

It's only later that you realise the food was there all the time - it starts 44 seconds into the pre-credits section. One sight of one of the girls, Kiyo's breakfast and soon after the same girl's brother (?) giving them baked potatoes to eat on their way to wherever they are going.

It's a movie about friendship; it's a coming-of-age movie; It's a Japanese culture movie; it's an excellent food movie.

I don't want to say much more; too easy to drop a spoiler. But it is beautifully filmed and the two main actors playing Sumire and especially Kiyo are perfect.

I've watched two episodes now. Very tempted to watch no. 3 now, but I'll ration myself.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The food creeps up on you. At first, you may not notice it. It's not like Eat, Drink, Man, Woman for example, opening with an orgy of food images. Instead it opens quietly with two young girls leaving home for the first time.

It's only later that you realise the food was there all the time - it starts 44 seconds into the pre-credits section. One sight of one of the girl's, Kiyo's breakfast and soon after the same girl's brother giving them baked potatoes to eat on their way to wherever they are going.

It's a movie about friendship; it's a coming-of-age movie; It's a Japanese culture movie; it's an excellent food movie.

I don't want to say much more; too easy to drop a spoiler. But it is beautifully filmed and the two main actors playing Sumire and especially Kiyo are perfect.

I've watched two episodes now. Very tempted to watch no. 3 now, but I'll ration myself.