• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-related Holiday Gifts 2022: What Did You Receive?

Kim Shook

I thought I'd start a new one with the more recent year in the title.  We are still dismantling Christmas at our house, so I gathered up my goodies from under the tree and took some pictures. My overflowing stocking contained:

1-IMG_1999.jpg.40bd755f0986d47394373cad091283f3.jpg

@Shelby – notice the Dorothy Lynch dressing!  I can’t wait to try it.  And I need a reminder.  Somewhere in my pile of printed out recipes, there is one from you that uses the lobster Better Than Boullion.  Can you tell me what recipe it’s for?  Maybe seafood enchiladas? 

...and:

1-IMG_2001.jpg.27812a9a09d09b20b3b140e3fa2c145c.jpg

A friend who works with Mr. Kim gave us this lovely bamboo salad bowl with a lid (for travel?) and servers:

1-IMG_2004.jpg.e9ec113d8f0d766defd59daa09ce2da8.jpg

the servers fit neatly and flush into the lid:

1-IMG_2003.jpg.14a23dfc962fe3c29291ab631142471a.jpg

Jessica got me a set of the cat bowls that we all loved:

1-IMG_2005.thumb.jpg.3afa101112d11767324df92f81aa0c70.jpg

And Mr. Kim thrilled me with a set of PINK (❤️) Mason Cash bowls:

1-IMG_2006.jpg.4639287114f25417089d09eb2465c1d3.jpg

I was so surprised and pleased!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I thought I'd start a new one with the more recent year in the title.  We are still dismantling Christmas at our house, so I gathered up my goodies from under the tree and took some pictures. My overflowing stocking contained:

Who fills your stocking with all these lovely products?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

1-IMG_1999.jpg.40bd755f0986d47394373cad091283f3.jpg

@Shelby – notice the Dorothy Lynch dressing!  I can’t wait to try it.  And I need a reminder.  Somewhere in my pile of printed out recipes, there is one from you that uses the lobster Better Than Boullion.  Can you tell me what recipe it’s for?  Maybe seafood enchiladas? 

...and:

1-IMG_2001.jpg.27812a9a09d09b20b3b140e3fa2c145c.jpg

A friend who works with Mr. Kim gave us this lovely bamboo salad bowl with a lid (for travel?) and servers:

1-IMG_2004.jpg.e9ec113d8f0d766defd59daa09ce2da8.jpg

the servers fit neatly and flush into the lid:

1-IMG_2003.jpg.14a23dfc962fe3c29291ab631142471a.jpg

Jessica got me a set of the cat bowls that we all loved:

1-IMG_2005.thumb.jpg.3afa101112d11767324df92f81aa0c70.jpg

And Mr. Kim thrilled me with a set of PINK (❤️) Mason Cash bowls:

1-IMG_2006.jpg.4639287114f25417089d09eb2465c1d3.jpg

I was so surprised and pleased!

Dorothy Lynch!  I just bought some at the store last week.  Good stuff.  Love the pink bowls.  And all of those goodies!  You are a lucky girl!

Yes, it was seafood enchiladas.  Somewhere around here I posted about those....I'll try to find it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The good: my husband gave me a couple of lidded skillets from Our Place. always pans from Our Place

I love them because they are lightweight.  I already have a bunch of Le Creuset which I also love, but they are so heavy, and one of my wrists is weak from being broken multiple times.  These can be easily lifted, and they clean up so easily.  I've used them almost every night since Christmas.   Non-food related, he also gave me a copy of a book that I have been searching for for years, so he wins the gold medal for overall gifting this year in my house!

The odd: my brother gave me an entire box of really strange kitchen stuff that I am unlikely to ever use.  A lemon wedger, a "shark cruterie" board for cheese with a picture of a great white shark on it, a silicone bread mixing and baking bowl that you can put in the oven...and a couple other things I am forgetting.  I'm sure they will make their way to the thrift store eventually.  It's the thought that counts!

My niece gave me a copy of Smitten Kitchen: Keepers for my cookbook collection.  It looks like it has some good recipes in it.  

• Like 4

On 1/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, Darienne said:

Who fills your stocking with all these lovely products?

Santa is MOST generous! 😁

23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I love the salad bowl.  It's a beautiful.  What is Dorothy Lynch dressing?

I haven't tasted it yet.  @Shelby can tell you - I got the recommendation from her.  

On 1/17/2023 at 9:30 AM, Dr. Teeth said:

Love the candy assortment.  Santa brings mostly international candy in our house too, although only the youngest still believes.   Mallocup is seriously underrated.

My stepdad was English and his mom would come over and bring an entire bag of British food - including Crunchies, Flakes, Jelly Babies, Smarties, etc. (she also brought British bacon  and Lancashire cheese, she was never challenged being a sweet little old lady).  Crunchies remain, to this day, my favorite candy bar.  And you are right - Mallocups are fantastic.  Have you ever tried a Valomilk?  They are similar, but the marshmallow flows.  It is incredible.  

• Like 1

My trip to London, at least fifteen years ago, resulted in a fistful of candy bars stuffed into my suitcase. I was over the moon at  how hilarilous these two were:  'Cranky," which I gave to my favorite sister in law. The plan was to carry a bar around in your purse, and if anyone was having a meltdown you simply held forth the candy bar and said "Cranky?'  The other was the infamous Yorkie with the words of caution on the wrapper: "Yorkie: it's not for girls." The maker removed the phrase from the wrappers several years later, but I thought it was a great marketing gimmick. What girl wouldn't buy that? I bought several as gifts. I can't remember anything about the taste, since I only bought them for the wrapper.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:09 AM, ElsieD said:

I love the salad bowl.  It's a beautiful.  What is Dorothy Lynch dressing?

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's kind of like French dressing only better IMO.

I was curious also, so looked it up. Ingredients are:

Tomato Soup (Water, Tomato Paste, Modified Cornstarch, Distilled White Vinegar, Salt, Rice Flour, Sodium Benzoate added as a preservative, Citric Acid, Onion Powder), Sugar, Soybean Oil, Vinegar, Salt, Spices, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate to maintain freshness, Nisin (Natural Preservative). Natural Flavoring.

NOTE: Dorothy Lynch Home Style contains NO monosodium glutamate (MSG).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I was curious also, so looked it up. Ingredients are:

Tomato Soup (Water, Tomato Paste, Modified Cornstarch, Distilled White Vinegar, Salt, Rice Flour, Sodium Benzoate added as a preservative, Citric Acid, Onion Powder), Sugar, Soybean Oil, Vinegar, Salt, Spices, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate to maintain freshness, Nisin (Natural Preservative). Natural Flavoring.

NOTE: Dorothy Lynch Home Style contains NO monosodium glutamate (MSG).

I also had to look it up and was frankly shocked that the first ingredient was tomato soup but perhaps more shocked by the statement that it contains no MSG! Since tomato products contain MSG naturally this is a bit hard to swallow. 

Edited by Anna N
To remove extraneous material. (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I also had to look it up and was frankly shocked that the first ingredient was tomato soup but perhaps more shocked by the statement that it contains no MSG! Since tomato products contain MSG naturally this is a bit hard to swallow. 

My understanding of labeling at least here is that MSG only has to be on label if added. Naturally occurring as there are many - no. Part of that whole anti MSG without science thing.

26 minutes ago, heidih said:

My understanding of labeling at least here is that MSG only has to be on label if added. Naturally occurring as there are many - no. Part of that whole anti MSG without science thing.

It is one thing to include/exclude MSG in the ingredient list and another thing entirely to say that it does not contain that ingredient. “No added MSG” would do the trick nicely.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/18/2023 at 10:41 AM, liamsaunt said:

The good: my husband gave me a couple of lidded skillets from Our Place. always pans from Our Place

I love them because they are lightweight.  I already have a bunch of Le Creuset which I also love, but they are so heavy, and one of my wrists is weak from being broken multiple times.  These can be easily lifted, and they clean up so easily.  I've used them almost every night since Christmas.   Non-food related, he also gave me a copy of a book that I have been searching for for years, so he wins the gold medal for overall gifting this year in my house!

The odd: my brother gave me an entire box of really strange kitchen stuff that I am unlikely to ever use.  A lemon wedger, a "shark cruterie" board for cheese with a picture of a great white shark on it

I am having a difficult time with the idea of a curated bunch of thoughtful, useful, considerate gifts winning the gold medal over “a shark cruterie,” board.    Which has to be the greatest thing I’ve heard of recently.   The writer of prose can only step aside when the poet passes.

• Haha 4

On 1/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, Kim Shook said:

.  Have you ever tried a Valomilk?  They are similar, but the marshmallow flows.  It is incredible.  

I’m a big fan of Valomilk, although they should come with a warning label for men who have facial hair.   My only problem with them is they seem to not turn their product over rapidly enough at places where I buy them (maybe once or twice a year) and when the product ages the filling becomes much less runny.    I’ve raved about them to friends who then bought an older pack and were  not impressed.

• Like 2