• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Egg Whites...Share Your Go-To Uses

gulfporter

Mi esposo discovered a new crème brulee recipe that he is making pretty often.  Consequently we are amassing great quantities of egg whites in our freezer.

Angel food cake is an obvious choice, but my Mexican gas oven isn't the venue for anything that needs a stable temperature for more than 20 minutes.  

He tried a recipe called Ooey Gooey Brownies with egg whites only....way too ooey, way too gooey. 

Suggestions appreciated!  

Also I enjoy egg whte omlettes especially with scallion, mushroom and spinach or same combo in a wrap with melted feta. Griddle the packet. The spinach + feta wrap used to be my go to at StarBucks when I had to wait there. and needed something satisfying. I am not averse to whole eggs but the egg white only can be a  nice neutral flavor carrier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I carefully save, label, freeze them and add to my Freezer List.  Then I throw them away a couple of months later 😑.    I just never seem to have anything to use them for.  I'm not at all fond of an egg white omelet.  I don't mind adding one white to a couple of whole eggs, but that's as far as I go.  So, I'll save a couple in the fridge to do an omelet or a scramble but when I have a bunch of them and I don't want to make a cake, I really might as well toss them.  And, as expensive as they've gotten, I hate doing that.  It's one of the reasons I love @Tropicalsenior's lemon curd - it calls for 3 whole eggs instead of the recipes that call for yolks only.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

coconut macaroons

and to add to the earlier recommendation on meringue - pavlova.  You can make the shells and store airtight for at least a month.

there are marshmallow recipes that use egg whites, but I haven't made that type yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Italian Pistachio Cookies. I make these semi-regularly (the round version). The only differences are that I use more vanilla extract, add some ground anise seed, and don't roll them in chopped nuts. The only problem is that now I have to figure out what to do with the leftover yolks. :S

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

coconut macaroons

and to add to the earlier recommendation on meringue - pavlova.  You can make the shells and store airtight for at least a month.

there are marshmallow recipes that use egg whites, but I haven't made that type yet

Pavlova is great idea and can make small more individual sized ones and OP in Mexico has access to some great fruits!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Munavalgekook is excellent way to use up egg whites.   

Many times I've made that Nami-Nami recipe to go with ice cream.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks to all.  

The Munavalgekook looks great, but bake time is up to 40 minutes; my MX oven won't consistently hold temp that long. 

Similar issue with pavlova which takes an hour.  But pavlovas are at a low temperature and have no baking soda or powder in the mix.  I would give it a try.  

The Italian pistachio cookies may be a good choice as we have better luck with cookies than cakes.  Cookies seem to be more forgiving than a cake which needs a more controlled temperature to rise and lift. 

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Similar issue with pavlova which takes an hour.  But pavlovas are at a low temperature 

If you make individuals, use an ice cream scoop (disher) to form them and hollow the centers with a spoon; they should take about 30ish minutes depending on the size.  I always leave them in the oven overnight anyway so hopefully your MX oven will cooperate! 

• Thanks 1

For a savory use, consider making garlic sauce. To get an idea of the flavor profile, think of it as aioli using only the egg whites. I learned this trick in Egypt, with the sauce named "thomeyya" or some such. So far every recipe for Lebanese garlic sauce I've scared up hasn't included eggs at all, but this one did. If you're interested I'll look to see if I can find the original recipe.

Hmm. I wonder if you could make hollandaise sauce using only egg whites? I've never tried it. I know the yolk is supposed to have all or most of the emulsifier.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, gulfporter said:

Mi esposo discovered a new crème brulee recipe that he is making pretty often.  Consequently we are amassing great quantities of egg whites in our freezer.

Angel food cake is an obvious choice, but my Mexican gas oven isn't the venue for anything that needs a stable temperature for more than 20 minutes.  

He tried a recipe called Ooey Gooey Brownies with egg whites only....way too ooey, way too gooey. 

Suggestions appreciated!  

There are a lot of cocktails that can include egg white