• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small-batch baking: pies, cakes, cookies, bread and bread rolls, etc.

ElsieD

Pear custard tart, two small pears, lightly poached and then sliced, were added to the unbaked tart crust. After ten minutes or so, I poured over half beaten egg, 5/6T milk and a little sugar. A sprinkling of crushed toasted hazelnuts was also added.  Baked for another 15 minutes, served with a scoop of sour cream.

78103C5B-B09D-4017-A409-2F8477C61FD4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

14 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Pear custard tart, two small pears, lightly poached and then sliced, were added to the unbaked tart crust. After ten minutes or so, I poured over half beaten egg, 5/6T milk and a little sugar. A sprinkling of crushed toasted hazelnuts was also added.  Baked for another 15 minutes, served with a scoop of sour cream.

78103C5B-B09D-4017-A409-2F8477C61FD4.jpeg

Lovely simplicity. No spices?. Love a hint of cardomom with pears.

• Like 1

There was a little ginger and nutmeg in the custard, cardamom would have been nice but I didn’t think of it!  Next time…I have more pears ripening. I failed to mention that there was a layer of finely crushed amaretti cookies along with some hazelnuts under the pears.

Edited by OlyveOyl
Additional details (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OlyveOyl said:

There was a little ginger and nutmeg in the custard, cardamom would have been nice but I didn’t think of it!  Next time…I have more pears ripening. I failed to mention that there was a layer of finely crushed amaretti cookies along with some hazelnuts under the pears.

There are many tyoes of pears and some are very subtle so bringing out the pear and using spice as nuance is a balance. To me, just the amaretti might be enough. I miss my pear trees... Shared freely with neighbor who taught me baked with butter & cardomom.

Silky steamed stovetop custard flavored with lemon and orange peel, small piece of stick cinnamon and a small section of star anise.  The flavorings steeped in the warmed milk for about a half hour, then combined with the egg and strained into the ramekins.  As these are shallow, they steamed for a short period of time.  With thanks to Kerry Beal for her demonstration of removing bubbles with a massager, I “borrowed” my husbands and applied it to the side of the Pyrex cup which worked very well to eliminate bubbles prior to steaming. I’ve also used it for chocolate pots de crème successfully.

A58E8FBF-517B-49C9-B978-C827408AB241.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Raspberry tart with a hazelnut sweet pastry crust. This is a 7.5” tart that I baked in a glass tart mold instead of my usual loose  bottom aluminum mold.  It will probably be a bit of a challenge getting a slice out of the mold, a little sour cream or ice cream will be on the side.

7B033016-2579-4345-8DAF-08EF8DAFDF7C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

I made these today.  They are meringue "nests" filled with lemon curd, vanilla whipped cream on top.  These were a trial run to see if I'd like to make them for Easter.  I think they would make a pretty Easter dessert with the meringue nests piped, as opposed to blobbed, and some pretty colored Easter eggs atop the whipped cream.  Or, maybe forget the cream, and just use the eggs?

20230327_193226.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

I would enjoy both - just maybe candy eggs as decor more around. I would not stress on meringue being perfect - a nest is for eggs. I'd do the traditional dyed coconut green with the little colored eggs- very minimally around edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What is a peep?

8 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Aren't they those disgusting little marshmallow chickens?

Of course we have a topic about this!

Peeps: Marshmallowly Goodness

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I made something called Chocolate Dulce Puddle Cakes from Smitten Kitchen Keepers.  This was definitely more fudgy than the cakes pictured in the book.  I made the mistake of dusting the pans in black cocoa so that outside of the cakes were rather bitter.  I used 60% cocoa and thought the cakes needed more sugar than the 1 tablespoon it called for.  I also thought it could have used more dulce de leche.  I won't make this, as written, again.

20230331_204122.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Crema Catalan:

20230411_191649.jpg

That looks delicious. Have you posted a recipe above? If not, can you point to a recipe?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

That looks delicious. Have you posted a recipe above? If not, can you point to a recipe?

https://www.carolinescooking.com/crema-catalana/

This is a link to the recipe I used.  I did have to add more cornstarch than the recipe calls for to get it to set.  I didn't measure how much, but I did at least double it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It was John's birthday today so I made a small batch chocolate layer cake, mug shown for size comparison.

Happy Birthday to John! Did he enjoy the cake? How many layers? 

• Like 1