• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small-batch baking: pies, cakes, cookies, bread and bread rolls, etc.

ElsieD

For the brownies, I had to get a square or rectangular pan - how could I make brownies in a round pan without even a single corner piece 🙃 - so I ordered this set of three 6-inch square pans with lids (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  One pan + lid was $9.49, two was $19.99 and three was priced at $16.49 or $5.50 each.  The brand is Teamfar. I thought that was reasonable and I'm quite pleased with the quality.  Thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else in the US is looking to expand their collection of tiny bakeware!  

56C9AB8D-64D4-41E1-8A2E-3F08ED24FDC4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5eef093a21d71654475d4d7b6afbebdc.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
clarification (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

The brand is Teamfar. I thought that was reasonable and I'm quite pleased with the quality.

Absolutely do not wish to take this off topic but I have one quick question. How well do the lids seal?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

For the brownies, I had to get a square or rectangular pan - how could I make brownies in a round pan without even a single corner piece 🙃 - so I ordered this set of three 6-inch square pans with lids (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  One pan + lid was $9.49, two was $19.99 and three was priced at $16.49 or $5.50 each.  The brand is Teamfar. I thought that was reasonable and I'm quite pleased with the quality.  Thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else in the US is looking to expand their collection of tiny bakeware!  

56C9AB8D-64D4-41E1-8A2E-3F08ED24FDC4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5eef093a21d71654475d4d7b6afbebdc.jpeg

I have quite a few Teamfar pans and I have been very pleased with them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Absolutely do not wish to take this off topic but I have one quick question. How well do the lids seal?

A bit of a mixed bag 🙃  They snap on with a reassuring click but when I put water inside and turned it over, the water dribbled out.  Not that I was planning to carry liquids in them, but I wanted to see what would happen.

Additionally, it takes some effort to pry the lids off.  Perhaps more practice will reveal the trick to it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I bought a mini cupcake pan today and I made a tiny batch, or rather a batch of tiny popovers. I used one egg, 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup milk and a pinch of salt. Next time I will cut it down to 1/4 cup flour and a 1/4 cup milk. They turned out really well but it was just a tad too much batter.

20230309_183447.thumb.jpg.73654cabc6ece0e0046405c43ff0ed6c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I bought a mini cupcake pan today and I made a tiny batch, or rather a batch of tiny popovers. I used one egg, 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup milk and a pinch of salt. Next time I will cut it down to 1/4 cup flour and a 1/4 cup milk. They turned out really well but it was just a tad too much batter.

20230309_183447.thumb.jpg.73654cabc6ece0e0046405c43ff0ed6c.jpg

Wonderful!  I'm going to try this.

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, please.

The mixing is pretty straightforward. I use a large mixing pitcher and with a wire whisk, I thoroughly beat the egg and the milk together and then thoroughly beat in the flour and the salt. I mix it up about 1/2 hour before I'm ready to bake it and leave it in the pitcher. Preheat the oven to 350°. In the meantime, put about one teaspoon of butter in each of the muffin cups. While the oven is preheating, place the tin in the oven just long enough to melt the butter. Brush the cups thoroughly with the melted butter and pour the batter into the tin. Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven. I measured the muffin cups and they are two and a half inches in diameter.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

This thread is causing me to invest in yet more tiny cookware!  I just ordered a small angel food cake pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), suitable for a half batch.  

Dave Arnold is also to blame for this.  On his podcast, he's been talking about adding jam to the egg whites to add both flavor and stability via the pectin in the jam.  He shared his method in this Instagram post

No way in heck am I making a 12-egg white cake when I don't know for sure how it will come out but 6 egg whites?  Maybe....

The pan is scheduled to arrive on Sunday, so stay tuned!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This thread is causing me to invest in yet more tiny cookware!  I just ordered a small angel food cake pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), suitable for a half batch.  

Dave Arnold is also to blame for this.  On his podcast, he's been talking about adding jam to the egg whites to add both flavor and stability via the pectin in the jam.  He shared his method in this Instagram post

No way in heck am I making a 12-egg white cake when I don't know for sure how it will come out but 6 egg whites?  Maybe....

OK that pan is adorable. I eneded up with 2 pounds of strawberries and mind went to a angel food berry combo which I've not had in eons. Thought I;d pick up ready made Af cake they always have in baked goods section. Nope $8+!  That pan is calling me. Looking forward to your report back on result. 

• Like 3

Chocolate Cream Pie from Dessert for Two.  The reason the tops look different is because I had plastic wrap on one to prevent a skin from forming while the other went without.

20230310_194126.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added second sentence (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

This may or may not be of interest to you bakers out there.  I find a lot of the small batch baking stuff calls for buttermilk.  As we don't drink it and it takes a while to use up,   I freeze it in these egg bite bakers.  They hold 1 /4  cup each.

20230312_123038.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Half batch of the Cherry Coconut Almond Cake from Snacking Cakes baked in a 6-inch pan

0F9D0D22-DF30-4B77-ADE8-B24D441479BC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f5ee7d5b4c7443f4e13d4f4b16e7a845.jpeg

This cake uses coconut oil instead of butter so I was a bit wary of it being heavy but it's nice and light. 

Nice!  How long did you bake it for?

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Nice!  How long did you bake it for?

The given range in the recipe is 35 - 45 min.  I took it out at 35.  Probably could have gone a couple more minutes.  That square pan I got is very shiny and takes a little longer to bake compared to the round one I have that's dark. 

I used frozen cherries but thawed and drained them before putting them on the cake.  Honestly, they'd been in the freezer for a while and were more suitable for smoothies but they tasted fine so I went ahead with them.  Looking forward to making this again when cherry season starts!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 11:37 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Replying to myself for context.  Here's my little raspberry angel food cake made with Dave Arnold's recipe halved for that small 7" x 4.5" angel food cake pan:

DC9D0FF8-EC5E-4CF9-98FE-2FEFD97EAC36_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fdb335b1389e8e9e80603d00f64332dc.jpeg

The cake is delicious.  The raspberry flavor from the jam really comes through. 

19631CCA-23F0-4AB9-ACBC-DDE5EE4B9C8E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9d1c6548a608891ee2d97e57fb585c83.jpeg

The color of the cake is very pale pink.  To me, it looks a little pinker than that photo shows but it's still quite light. I would certainly make this again. 

It's also a good thing I went for this mini size as my 5 qt Kitchen Aid mixer wouldn't have been able to handle a full batch. 

I might adjust the scale of the recipe a little as I had extra batter that I made cupcakes with. Or maybe not because I accidentally used an extra egg white 🙃

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

That looks amazing.  When strawberry season arrives, I top plain angel food slices with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.  I'll have to try your recipe with strawberry jam. I have some 4" mini angel food pans I'll use.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That looks amazing.  When strawberry season arrives, I top plain angel food slices with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.  I'll have to try your recipe with strawberry jam. I have some 4" mini angle food pans I'll use.

That sounds excellent! I was debating between strawberry and raspberry and the pretty raspberries at the farmers market swayed me! The flavor of the cake is really delicious.  I can imagine making it with lots of different preserves and serving it with the corresponding fresh fruit.  

• Like 2