• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen sounds you hate or love

haresfur

I really dislike the sound of hard food like nuts getting chopped in a food processor or blender. Especially if someone else is doing it because I can't brace myself for the jarring sound.

On the other hand the sound of a KitchenAid paddle mixer going wop, wop, wop is pretty awesome.

Anyone else have things that bother them or are special?

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

6 hours ago, haresfur said:

I really dislike the sound of hard food like nuts getting chopped in a food processor or blender.

The coffee grinder, too.

Which is why I keep a pair of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) (or similar) right near the grinder/blender/processor. They are easy to pop in and out.

image.thumb.png.b80364851e79e9fe67fc5a6a1063794c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Kerala said:

When the moka pot starts bubbling, I love it.

Ditto our drip coffee maker (Technivorm) in the morning. Ms. Alex, who strongly prefers visual processing, loves to look at the water bubbling up. 

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

When there's a power failure, sometimes it's a blip - the lights flash off then on and then it's the sudden stop of all the motors (cooler, freezer, ovens, display case, mixer) when the power goes out that makes my heart fall to the floor.  I hate that sound.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

My favorite sound of all is the soft "pop" of jars sealing after you take them out of the canner. Also fond of, and lonely for, the sound of bacon frying.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

When there's a power failure, sometimes it's a blip - the lights flash off then on and then it's the sudden stop of all the motors (cooler, freezer, ovens, display case, mixer) when the power goes out that makes my heart fall to the floor.  I hate that sound.

Yes, that.

But also the soothing sound about 30 sec later when the generator kicks -in.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I love the sound of someone else cooking for me.

I don't like that I never hear that sound in my kitchen.

Are you sure?😂

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Having gone through about a year where my oven would throw an error code requiring a service call every time there was a power blip, I can relate to this.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

15 hours ago, haresfur said:

I really dislike the sound of hard food like nuts getting chopped in a food processor or blender. Especially if someone else is doing it because I can't brace myself for the jarring sound.

Yes, this! And by an interesting coincidence, I ran into it just a few hours ago when making peanut butter. The pulses at the beginning are the worst, then the subsequent 5 seconds or so. It's fine after that.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It only happened once. That was once too many.

Pasta sauce prayed all over the ceiling. The pressure cooker safety relief valve failed. Major kitchen cleanup afterwards and repaint ceiling.

That sound ! I will never forget.

dcarch

• Sad 6

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

It only happened once. That was once too many.

Me too, but the top blew completely off my electric pressure cooker and I had pork chunks and broth all over my kitchen. My kitchen is 25' by 20' and it managed to hit every surface, including me. It sounded like a bomb had gone off.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:16 AM, Shelby said:

Hate the sound of knife sharpening.  Like nails on a chalkboard to me.

One of the world's sweetest sounds. That gentle shshhh-shsh is grand. I do it on good stones only when feeling serene.

Someone doing macho clattering on a steel: not good.

• Like 1