• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nose to Tail in Practice

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is too bad that there is a slip up in the article suggesting that the ban  proposed in 1969 was based on studies in 1970! 

"When the Department of Agriculture proposed the rule in 1969, it purported to protect people from eating things like dust, flower pollen and fungal spores that animals (including humans) inhale.

The rule was based on studies conducted around 1970..."

That threw me off,  

I agree that sounds confusing.  Especially since the author's formal petition to rescind the guidance uses "around the year 1969," rather than, "around 1970."  

B8BEFBF3-9A83-4EC4-8A89-8B7F929C5A91.thumb.jpeg.0813ba8d69980fc011d131ccca982dde.jpeg

I wasn't able to find a formal report of the lung pathology findings but stepping through the Federal Register notices on the matter, the proposal for this regulation was initially entered on December 31, 1969 based on examination of cattle lungs.  After publication of the proposal, questions were raised about its applicability to all livestock since neither calf nor sheep lungs were examined.  A study of calf and sheep lungs was subsequently conducted, apparently in 1970.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to correct species (log)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Raw/Cooked said:

I think this is more an issue of writing than an actual slip up. The rule was proposed in 1969, but not implemented until 1971, which the author mentions in the first paragraph. It would have been much clearer had he kept things in sequence!

Either way, the rule's proposal preceded the study which, according to the article, prompted the rule.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Either way, the rule's proposal preceded the study which, according to the article, prompted the rule.

How so?  The rule was proposed in December 1969, based on a study of bovine lungs collected from various slaughterhouses. It was submitted on Dec 22 and published on Dec 31. 

Based on feedback, a subsequent study was performed on calf and sheep lungs, presumably in 1970, and the 1971 rule says that subsequent study substantiated the results of the first one and justified the inclusion of calf and sheep lungs. 

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

How so?  The rule was proposed in December 1969, based on a study of bovine lungs collected from various slaughterhouses. It was submitted on Dec 22 and published on Dec 31. 

Based on feedback, a subsequent study was performed on calf and sheep lungs, presumably in 1970, and the 1971 rule says that subsequent study substantiated the results of the first one and justified the inclusion of calf and sheep lungs. 

I am only going by what the article you linked to as quoted by @Anna Nsays. Of course I know it couldn't have happened the way they describe. When an article is so badly written, I tend to dismiss anything and everything it says.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

When an article is so badly written, I tend to dismiss anything and everything it says.

And that is exactly why I found it necessary to remark upon it. Once I hit that roadblock I questioned the accuracy of everything even though I believed it was a simple slip up. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And that is exactly why I found it necessary to remark upon it. Once I hit that roadblock I questioned the accuracy of everything even though I believed it was a simple slip up. 

I had read the article before I did the post on lungs, but didn't mention it for exactly that reason.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I had read the article before I did the post on lungs, but didn't mention it for exactly that reason.

In a way I find this all very amusing. Even if lungs appeared today on my online grocery store listing there is not an ice cube's chance in hell that I'm going to buy them. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

In a way I find this all very amusing. Even if lungs appeared today on my online grocery store listing there is not an ice cube's chance in hell that I'm going to buy them. 

In Germany (Frankonia), they are available pickled & canned (with some heart thrown in for good measure) …

F5E98A8C-1D8A-4C73-916C-3AC11B7DE394.thumb.jpeg.fb5e49e9a3624302813293aff0c2e544.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a late brunch/early dinner Sunday. A hometown scrapple. DelMarVa peninsula. 

A houseguest from Baltimore did back-flips when he woke--so happy...his girlfriend from Alabama had to leave the building gagging. 

My parents always considered it junk food. Really just polenta/paté. (as a young one we had to use our babysitter/lawn mowing money to purchase). Or a birthday treat. 

50/50 divided who likes it. DH grew up in the PNWest. Loves it. 

*Pork stock, pork livers, pork fat, pork snouts, corn meal, pork hearts, wheat four, salt, spices. 1924 this company began. 

Creamy like a paté and gets a pan seared crispy exterior. Not at all salty, lots of sage.

Nothing like Italian American pork sausages so often full of scrap fat chunks and way too salty. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 2.01.24 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 5.30.53 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.03.11 AM.png

• Like 1

@Annie_H 

Scrapple !

I grew up , having it from time to time

in CA

I enjoyed , possibly 3-4 fresh versions 

and a few more refrigerated 

for over 3 months 

in Philadelphia  , PA

every night

crusty slices please 

fine stuff , crispy , w contrasting textures inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reminded of this topic when I read Cathy Chaplin's recent blog post. She is an editor at Eater L.A. and of Vietnamese ancestry. Quote:  "… the sweetbreads with sunchokes, roasted grapes, mustard frills, and oxtail jus ($24) were so good that I am hereby declaring 2023 to be the year of the thymus gland."   The post link about a weekend in Santa Ynez -some good eats overall..  https://gastronomyblog.com/2023/03/10/inn-at-matteis-tavern-los-olivos-bar-le-cote-priedite-barbecue-los-alamos/#more-32280

• 4 months later...

In Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in the far west of China, horse is something of a staple protein and again nothing is wasted. The flesh is cooked as would be any red meat, appearing in stews and hotpots, stir-fries etc. It is often also smoked and used like bacon. Horse jerky is available.

horse.thumb.jpg.0f26055d232d1ca8f0d86cba733f73f5.jpg

Horse Meat

smoked-horse.thumb.jpg.28f90160b3f0786c45f8f4991dca9b14.jpg

Smoked Horse

Horse noodle dishes are also popular.

HorseNoodlesChilli.thumb.jpg.4f1ec3ec28a497183bfcf598f85ecff4.jpg

Horse Noodles with Laoganma Chilli Crisp

Besides eating the flesh, the innards are consumed just as with other animals. Intestines are used as skins for horse meat sausages as well as being fried like chitterlings (chitlins). The liver, heart, lungs etc. are all used.

horseintestines.thumb.jpg.0333ab4f77b622c8e02bf672cfb397ba.jpg

Horse Intestines

horse lung.jpg

Stewed Horse Lungs

horsetripenoodles.thumb.jpg.7eecce129992da0ca98c377daf7fed3f.jpg

Rice Noodles with Horse Tripe

And then there's my favourite, horse marrow bone in broth. A winter warmer.

horsebones.thumb.jpg.e8e5c5af5fab3d1f6a80f9b05a7642d5.jpg

Images courtesy of Zhuge Horse Noodles (朱哥马肉粉) restaurant, Liuzhou

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in the far west of China, horse is something of a staple protein and again nothing is wasted. The flesh is cooked as would be any red meat, appearing in stews and hotpots, stir-fries etc. It is often also smoked and used like bacon. Horse jerky is available.

horse.thumb.jpg.0f26055d232d1ca8f0d86cba733f73f5.jpg

Horse Meat

smoked-horse.thumb.jpg.28f90160b3f0786c45f8f4991dca9b14.jpg

Smoked Horse

Horse noodle dishes are also popular.

HorseNoodlesChilli.thumb.jpg.4f1ec3ec28a497183bfcf598f85ecff4.jpg

Horse Noodles with Laoganma Chilli Crisp

Besides eating the flesh, the innards are consumed just as with other animals. Intestines are used as skins for horse meat sausages as well as being fried like chitterlings (chitlins). The liver, heart, lungs etc. are all used.

horseintestines.thumb.jpg.0333ab4f77b622c8e02bf672cfb397ba.jpg

Horse Intestines

horse lung.jpg

Stewed Horse Lungs

horsetripenoodles.thumb.jpg.7eecce129992da0ca98c377daf7fed3f.jpg

Rice Noodles with Horse Tripe

And then there's my favourite, horse marrow bone in broth. A winter warmer.

horsebones.thumb.jpg.e8e5c5af5fab3d1f6a80f9b05a7642d5.jpg

Images courtesy of Zhuge Horse Noodles (朱哥马肉粉) restaurant, Liuzhou

I have never had horse (although I have had horses, but not to eat.) Is it comprable to beef, taste and texture-wise? 

18 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have never had horse (although I have had horses, but not to eat.) Is it comprable to beef, taste and texture-wise? 

I would say it's slightly sweeter than beef without being sweet if you know what I mean. It is much more tender than beef. Melt in the mouth tender. One of my favourite meats. Donkey pips it to the post. 

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I would say it's slightly sweeter than beef without being sweet if you know what I mean. It is much more tender than beef. Melt in the mouth tender. One of my favourite meats. Donkey pips it to the post. 

Interesting. Don't know if it is available here, not sure I could try it without my beloved Tenessee Walker flashing in front of my eyes. I did have cows too but understood from the get go that they would become dinner some day.

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Interesting. Don't know if it is available here, not sure I could try it without my beloved Tenessee Walker flashing in front of my eyes. I did have cows too but understood from the get go that they would become dinner some day.

I grew up wih horses, too. I'm told I could ride a horse before I could walk but I have no compunction about eating them when they are bred for that purpose. I wouldn't have been able to eat my own horse, though.

It's not a matter of logic; but of emotion. It's illogical to eat pig, but decry eating sheep. I've eaten dog meat (again bred for meat) but wouldn't knowingly eat cat. Purely emotional.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, liuzhou said:

Horse is also often considered as somewhat healthier?.

If available, I would rather go for donkey meat, but horse meat is pretty nice.

Edited by Anchobrie (log)

3 hours ago, Anchobrie said:

Horse is also often considered as somewhat healthier?.

If available, I would rather go for donkey meat, but horse meat is pretty nice.

Indeed, it is reputed to be healthier but I don't take medial advice from journalists and the hack freelance writers who provide the most readily available 'advice'. It is certainly lower in fat content, though.

I, too, prefer donkey when given the choice. I just prefer the taste - slightly gamey to counteract the sweet. Horse is more easily obtained where I live in China, so I have that more often.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I was rummaging around in the depths of the local food delivery app earlier and came across this wonder.

mongolianhaggis.thumb.jpg.23330c50f86b99abbdef3f744d50f866.jpg

草原肚包肉 (cǎo yuán dǔ bāo ròu), literally 'grassland belly bag meat'. Yes it's China's answer to my beloved haggis. Comes from the grasslands of China's Inner Mongolia, the autonomous region in the north of China bordering Mongolia and Russia.

It is sheep's offal stuffed into the animal's stomach. According to the writing on the image above "it is very fragrant when boiled in water." I don't doubt it.

R-C.thumb.jpg.b4e1b7f6c0f41257a7902d02f837ccfb.jpg

Map by Chinafolio.com

That's New Year's dinner sorted out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was rummaging around in the depths of the local food delivery app earlier and came across this wonder.

mongolianhaggis.thumb.jpg.23330c50f86b99abbdef3f744d50f866.jpg

草原肚包肉 (cǎo yuán dǔ bāo ròu), literally 'grassland belly bag meat'. Yes it's China's answer to my beloved haggis. Comes from the grasslands of China's Inner Mongolia, the autonomous region in the north of China bordering Mongolia and Russia.

It is sheep's offal stuffed into the animal's stomach. According to the writing on the image above "it is very fragrant when boiled in water." I don't doubt it.

R-C.thumb.jpg.b4e1b7f6c0f41257a7902d02f837ccfb.jpg

Map by Chinafolio.com

That's New Year's dinner sorted out!

That would actually make a fascinating compare-and-contrast, wouldn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I decided this afternoon to test the Mongolian “haggis” ahead of New Year rather than leave it to chance and have a bad dinner experience as the first of 2024. I’m glad I did. This is what turned up.

nothaggis.thumb.jpg.772ec84116afaf521f027a299eda931b.jpg

For scale, that bowl is 4½ inches / 115 mm in diameter. The contents came already cut in half and not like advertised. It is bears no resemblance whatsoever to haggis, a term they used in their translation. Chewy mutton and hard fat with no spicing or seasoning. I didn't detect any offal.

I have been to Inner Mongolia and know they have good food. This wasn’t it! I binned it.

A proper haggis is much larger and the contents more finely minced with no large chewy  lumps. It is also heavily spiced.

haggis is made from lamb offal, or ‘pluck’ – heart, lungs, and liver. This is mixed with oatmeal, and then spices, onion and salt and pepper are added. Suet, an unrefined fat found near the kidneys, is also included, to add flavour and moisture.

https://www.britbuyer.co.uk/haggis-questions-answered/

Haggis.thumb.jpg.23314acf3519f801eb9e1b0bbff8efc7.jpg

Haggis in Scotland - 2019

Fortunately, I had also ordered a couple of spicy roasted quails to snack on so I didn’t go totally hungry.

quails.thumb.jpg.7a4d1775d4dfc35d9c553fe512ade10a.jpg

Second disappointment of the day after a less than stellar breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I roasted the limb bones and pelvis of a deer this afternoon to make venison stock. Where the shank had been cut off, the marow was sticking out. I tried it and was suprised by the amount of texture it had (undercooked?). Flavor was excellent. I have the bones of another deer in the freezer, I could not get both in the stock pot.

I have been wondering how donkey would be at the table. There is no shortage of them locally.

31 minutes ago, billyhill said:

I have been wondering how donkey would be at the table. There is no shortage of them locally.

Donkey is my favourite meat. Very tender and tasteful. I've had the meat often, but also the liver, kidneys, heart, penis and tail.

donkeyliver.thumb.jpg.749c1ca205b46b115ce45e75aac23583.jpg

Donkey Liver - Image from Meituan Food delivery app

DonkeyLiverII.thumb.jpg.faacc10eba979781ecd433d95250b557.jpg

Donkey Liver with Champ

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1