• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to correct species

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is too bad that there is a slip up in the article suggesting that the ban  proposed in 1969 was based on studies in 1970! 

"When the Department of Agriculture proposed the rule in 1969, it purported to protect people from eating things like dust, flower pollen and fungal spores that animals (including humans) inhale.

The rule was based on studies conducted around 1970..."

That threw me off,  

I agree that sounds confusing.  Especially since the author's formal petition to rescind the guidance uses "around the year 1969," rather than, "around 1970."  

B8BEFBF3-9A83-4EC4-8A89-8B7F929C5A91.thumb.jpeg.0813ba8d69980fc011d131ccca982dde.jpeg

I wasn't able to find a formal report of the lung pathology findings but stepping through the Federal Register notices on the matter, the proposal for this regulation was initially entered on December 31, 1969 based on examination of cattle lungs.  After publication of the proposal, questions were raised about its applicability to all livestock since neither calf nor sheep lungs were examined.  A study of calf and sheep lungs was subsequently conducted, apparently in 1970.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is too bad that there is a slip up in the article suggesting that the ban  proposed in 1969 was based on studies in 1970! 

"When the Department of Agriculture proposed the rule in 1969, it purported to protect people from eating things like dust, flower pollen and fungal spores that animals (including humans) inhale.

The rule was based on studies conducted around 1970..."

That threw me off,  

I agree that sounds confusing.  Especially since the author's formal petition to rescind the guidance uses "around the year 1969," rather than, "around 1970."  

B8BEFBF3-9A83-4EC4-8A89-8B7F929C5A91.thumb.jpeg.0813ba8d69980fc011d131ccca982dde.jpeg

I wasn't able to find a formal report of the lung pathology findings but stepping through the Federal Register notices on the matter, the proposal for this regulation was initially entered on December 31, 1969 based on examination of cattle lungs.  After publication of the proposal, questions were raised about its applicability to all livestock since neither pig nor lamb lungs were examined.  A study of pig and lamb lungs was subsequently conducted, apparently in 1970.