• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 1/6/2023 at 10:43 PM, Anna N said:

Yep. I cannot imagine partaking. This may in part be due to one of my careers. I spent 10 years as a.REEGT (Registered Electroencephalograph Tecnologist). Training involved a little too much close contact with pickled brains. Formaldehyde makes a poor appetite stimulant.

yufeng1.thumb.jpg.944bbd6b47bbd14eb67a111f8c1d0840.jpg

Twenty years ago, Liuzhou made its own 'Yufeng' beer in a local brewery. It was disgustingly unpalatable but delicately flavoured with formaldehyde. I remember being invited to a government sponsored event showcasing local products. Ever single guest refused to drink the beer until some lackeys were sent to replace it with Liquan beer from nearby Guilin city - major embarrassment.

The brewery closed down two weeks later!

The banquet, I recall, did include pig's ears though, so not all was not lost.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yep. I cannot imagine partaking. This may in part be due to one of my careers. I spent 10 years as a.REEGT (Registered Electroencephalograph Tecnologist). Training involved a little too much close contact with pickled brains. Formaldehyde makes a poor appetite stimulant.

Twenty years ago, Liuzhou made its own 'Yufeng' beer in a local brewery. It was disgustingly unpalatable but delicately flavoured with formaldehyde. I remember being invited to a government sponsored event showcasing local products. Ever single guest refused to drink the beer until some lackeys were sent to replace it with Liquan beer from nearby Guilin city - major embarrassment.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Twenty years ago, Liuzhou made its own 'Yufeng' beer in a local brewery. It was disgustingly unpalatable but delicated flavoured with formaldehyde. I remember being invited to a government sponsored event showcasing local products. Ever single guest refused to drink the beer until some lackeys were sent to replace it with Liquan beer from nearby Guilin city - major embarrassment.