• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We need to talk: RimLicks

Mjx

I came across 'RimLicks' as the latest cocktail trend on Chef Rubber's Instagram account. I confess I think it can look kind of pretty, but I have many, many questions, including 'Isn't this potentially spectacularly messy?' (what with people absent-mindedly tipping their glasses this way and that, to get the last bit of this stuff off the glass) and 'Has CR's marketing unit considered the implications of this name?'.

Has anyone actually seen this in the wild, so to speak?

Thoughts..?

ETA, I keep trying to get the spelling of this product right, but on CR's web site and Insstagram account there are four different spellings, and I've no idea which is correct/official.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

Isn't this potentially spectacularly messy?

Probably.  Looks like it sets up somewhat firmly, though being fat-based you probably don't want it all over your face or on your clothes.  I feel for whoever has to get those glasses sparkling again.

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

Has CR's marketing unit considered the implications of this name?

😂

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

Has anyone actually seen this in the wild, so to speak?

No, and hope to continue that way

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Part of what I'm wondering is how much this reflects current cocktail trends. When I've discussed this product with friends who are bartenders, they've been rather unreceptive. And every single one mentioned @pastrygirl's thoughts about getting the glasses clean. But CR must have done some focus-group work before launching this, it must have some appeal to some group, somewhere..?

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

22 hours ago, Mjx said:

and 'Has CR's marketing unit considered the implications of this name?'.

Farther down on the Chef Rubber page where the RimLicks are featured is a product called Cocktail Bondage.  So, yes, I think they have considered implications and know what they are doing.  Sex sells cocktails and vice versa, in certain venues.  These products have Spring Break/Girls Night Out drinks written all over it.   But I imagine cocktails using these mixtures will be EXTREMELY pricey.  

7 hours ago, Mjx said:

But CR must have done some focus-group work before launching this, it must have some appeal to some group, somewhere..?

Cocktail visions seems to be its own company (though only sold through CR so 🤷‍♀️)

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Farther down on the Chef Rubber page where the RimLicks are featured is a product called Cocktail Bondage.  So, yes, I think they have considered implications and know what they are doing.  Sex sells cocktails and vice versa, in certain venues.

Def selling sexy https://cocktail.vision/pages/our-story

There has been a lot of drip-iness trending the past few years.  Drip cakes, over-the-top milkshakes with all kinds of stuff piled and drizzled on top.  ...