• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plant-based faux gras flies off shelves.

Anna N

Here.

“The company laboured over the recipe for more than a year, tweaking it 800 times. After being taste-tested by more than 150 people, the plant-based take on foie gras was deemed ready for market, setting in motion a modest plan to deliver 5,000 units to supermarkets and speciality stores before the holiday season.

Within 12 hours of its launch in mid-December, the units had sold out across Spain. The company scrambled to restock – and watched in awe as another 30,000 units flew off shelves.”

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Here.

“The company laboured over the recipe for more than a year, tweaking it 800 times. After being taste-tested by more than 150 people, the plant-based take on foie gras was deemed ready for market, setting in motion a modest plan to deliver 5,000 units to supermarkets and speciality stores before the holiday season.

Within 12 hours of its launch in mid-December, the units had sold out across Spain. The company scrambled to restock – and watched in awe as another 30,000 units flew off shelves.”

I bet there won't be second time buyers.

• Haha 1

I've made David Lebovitz's "faux gras" pate and it was very good, will definitely make it again one of these days. I'm sure if something like this was available at a not-immoderate price I'd buy it occasionally.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I bet there won't be second time buyers.

It is early days. Time will tell. I am an unlikely customer for this as I would be for the real McCoy. Nothing ethical. I simply do not like the richness?  Love liver and pates of all sorts, so it’s not a taste thing either. It may well find a customer base in those who have never tried foie gras.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

I've made David Lebovitz's "faux gras" pate and it was very good, will definitely make it again one of these days. I'm sure if something like this was available at a not-immoderate price I'd buy it occasionally.

Michel Richard had an excellent one too. 

My 2004 eG Blog