• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Chicken piccata and broccoli salad

thumbnail_IMG_4246.jpg.270233e9eb7438cc19b4a87a602fc81a.jpg

Pepperoni and mushroom pizza, mushroom salad and broccoli salad--I seem to be making that a lot lately

thumbnail_IMG_4254.jpg.767b89f767f61e094c9cad1e24913fa3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4255.jpg.5a71430f97e155363836cdb1d394b8d4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4256.jpg.421776f5b00322b830814c92f7bc1409.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4257.jpg.f5a6a1a550b3afbb0ead22498be064eb.jpg

Panko fried shrimp, spinach and tortellini in a spicy vodka sauce

thumbnail_IMG_4260.jpg.ee327b4fd7ca23c317c574fc9a9088fb.jpg

Last night Ronnie wanted chicken fried venison steaks.  Corn frozen from last year's garden.

thumbnail_IMG_4269.jpg.829308d012d3920e70f37d90c7953208.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4271.jpg.43f9ef44ac4d973eb8fb8660b8dc6552.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

Double salad dinner tonight.

Shaking beef - cubed NY strip marinated in soy and oyster sauces, seared with garlic over high heat, and then tossed with Thai basil, red onion, and pineapple. Dressing of lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and bird chiles, served over watercress and sliced tomatoes. Gosh I love meat salads.

Cucumber salad, with a dressing of rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, sliced shallots and bird chilies, and cilantro.

Store-bought baguette to sop up the juices. Mrs. C dipped her bread in balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Shaking_beef_202304.thumb.jpg.33c77c5be152e053befd20ae82ad30ce.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Goat Cheese & Date Tart with Caramelized Onions and Thyme from The New Mediterranean Table.

We made this with guests this weekend, it's again very much a restaurant level dish - you can do so much ahead and it goes together quickly at service time.

20230404_183300.thumb.jpg.4188ccbf36afe38c5b0cfa83594618e7.jpg

The salad is larger then the "pictured" size in the cook book, we used up what we could with this meal :)

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Meatless Monday dinner...

IMG_8942.thumb.jpeg.0ace8a522b8d2ff00a99815149bb6bca.jpeg

Braised "baby" artichokes.

IMG_8946.thumb.jpeg.3caf56660775df421330a94f4d3e0eb1.jpeg

Pasta fagioli.

Tuesday out...

IMG_8951.thumb.jpeg.017d8529609eb83a1f7e2f4d3f9e6cd3.jpeg

Sparget time! Boiled new potatoes.  Fried chicken thighs alongside...at Cafe Katja.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mrs. C made dinner tonight, after a stop at the Middle Eastern market (she though the family running the store was from Syria).

Saffron rice, lamb kebabs (tasted great but looked, uh . . .), artichoke hearts, excellent babaghanoush, labneh topped with dried spearmint and olive oil, and toasted pitas.

F3CF110C-5B5D-4ABE-94F8-EC9FEEF66915.jpeg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

15 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

(tasted great but looked, uh . . .)

I read this at three in the morning and the kabobs looked fine so this morning I compared them with the kebabs that my friend from Iran made for Thanksgiving

20221124_170324.thumb.jpg.0a547b694605d4f1fc5af64003beebf9.jpg

Then I went back and looked at those that your wife made. Uh.. yeah. See what you mean.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Pulled out some of the lamb chops from my stash. A couple were about 2" thick, and cut unevenly around the bone (trainee meat cutter!), so they were marked down $5.00 each package of 4, original price $24.97.

Didn't want to smoke up the kitchen grilling, so these were done in the sous vide then a quick sear.

Sousvidelambchops0522.jpg.ad11838e067422d59bb0d4e26200c023.jpg

Oven baked pork chops. Brushed with mayo and coated with panko. Fried up boiled potatoes from another meal.

OvenBakedPorkChop0514.jpg.9b227efa8cdfc53ce7a2701b134373d9.jpg

Had picked up in-store prepped packages of top sirloin medallions at Safeway, again marked down after being in the display cooler for 2 days. It was buy 2 get 1 free. Good enough deal when they are marked down. Should have done them in the sous vide before searing! One piece was good, but the larger one was tough. The other packages will be done properly! The mushrooms and green peppercorn gravy helped.

SteakandMushrooms0545.jpg.4eb30e54d89e999d6c211bc8fdeab3e9.jpg

Learned something new from a friend re-keeping sour cream, cottage cheese "fresh" after opening the container. Turn the container upside down! The contents drop against the lid, keeping out any air that could cause mold. Things I learn at aquacize! 😆

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The past 6-7 years we try new things in the winter months---January-March. Noodle bowls, ramen, etc. Some meatless meals. but lots of seafood. Can't imagine being Vegan like some of my family members. 

We have let the freezer go thin, then the past few days stuffed it. Walden Local yesterday and WildFork this morning delivery. 

Really nice sirloin, cast iron sear. Blanched lacinato kale. Chunky potatoes with a purple sweet potato. No dairy, butter, cream. Just garlic chips/shallots. 

*my visiting BIL would add a stick of butter to the potatoes and cream, then cream the greens, then half a stick of butter basting the steak.

Not necessary. Such a nice meal fat free. 

IMG_5826.jpeg

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

The past 6-7 years we try new things in the winter months---January-March. Noodle bowls, ramen, etc. Some meatless meals. but lots of seafood. Can't imagine being Vegan like some of my family members. 

We have let the freezer go thin, then the past few days stuffed it. Walden Local yesterday and WildFork this morning delivery. 

Really nice sirloin, cast iron sear. Blanched lacinato kale. Chunky potatoes with a purple sweet potato. No dairy, butter, cream. Just garlic chips/shallots. 

*my visiting BIL would add a stick of butter to the potatoes and cream, then cream the greens, then half a stick of butter basting the steak.

Not necessary. Such a nice meal fat free. 

Looks fantastic, but I don't know about fat free - that beef's got plenty, even though sirloin is relatively lean.  According to the USDA, 3oz top sirloin contains 12g of fat (4.8g sat fat) on average.  But definitely a lot healthier than lots of butter and cream!

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Looks fantastic, but I don't know about fat free - that beef's got plenty, even though sirloin is relatively lean.  According to the USDA, 3oz top sirloin contains 12g of fat (4.8g sat fat) on average.  But definitely a lot healthier than lots of butter and cream!

I think the term is "no added fat".  Plus we have realized in recent years that many nutrients need fat to be properly absorbed/utilized.  It does look like lovely meal where you could actually taste the flavors in.]stead of butter and cream numbing it all out.

• Like 1

Shrimp salad with watercress, Thai basil, mint, cilantro, lemon zest, and shallots. Shrimp were coated with white pepper, garlic, sugar, and salt before searing. Dressing was lemon and lime juice, roasted chile paste, fish sauce, sugar, and Thai bird chiles. Leftover saffron rice to go with.

Shrimp_salad_202304.thumb.jpg.48fa42290612f27752e2c66de03f030d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

I had a bunch of small amounts of vegetables in the crisper to use up, so made an Eric Kim recipe for gochujang buttered noodles that came in the NY Times Cooking newsletter this week.  I added pea shoots, mushrooms, and red bell peppers.  My noodles did not come out as red as the recipe picture for whatever reason.  It was quick and easy, and used up an open box of pasta and the veggies I wanted to get rid of.  Here's the recipe: gochujang buttered noodles

mushroomnoodlebowl.thumb.jpg.2b7cde0656b372401ffc54922ec65fbf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

52 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I had a bunch of small amounts of vegetables in the crisper to use up, so made an Eric Kim recipe for gochujang buttered noodles that came in the NY Times Cooking newsletter this week

Interesting that you and @blue_dolphindecided to make this dish. Here.

it seems like one of those dishes that one should always have in one's back pocket. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My take on 青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn), green chilli pork slices, a very common dish here. There isn't a restaurant or home cook in the land that couldn't make it.

Pork tenderloin, green chilli peppers, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, cilantro and chives. Served with rice and a mixed mushroom medley which escaped the camera.

.thumb.jpg.044545b39db771a71edbd044d4493415.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Seems like several of us were cleaning out the vegetable crisper. I also had a couple of pieces of a chicken breast culled from the whole chicken used to make congee for a sick friend. Added some shrimp and a dollop of Toban sauce. Eaten with Jasmine rice. Son, an osteopath, came up to give hubby a massage after work (9pm), so he got some for a late supper.

TobanChickenShrimpVeg0535.jpg.544ed5ec2639eb5cbae78068bc18ac5c.jpg

Last night, deep fried tofu puffs, stuffed with ground pork, water chestnuts, and Shitaki mushrooms. Pan fried then simmered with stock and oyster sauce. Stir-fried Shanghai bok choy and Jasmine rice completes the meal.

Stuffeddeepfriedtofupuffs0557.jpg.071d65d6050a2fe6296420f73ff3e65d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com