Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023


liuzhou

Recommended Posts

Pizza & Movie night, full family edition …

 

Thanks to my parents visit I could make four pizzas tonight 🤗

 

Salami, sweet ham and mushrooms (aka Speziale in pretty much every pizzeria in Germany, although I‘d rather call it Standard) …

 

IMG_0139.thumb.jpeg.53ba403491ca720cb505ea6db0107adc.jpeg

 

My fathers request: fresh spinach & blue cheese (here: Saint Agur) …

 

IMG_0141.thumb.jpeg.dbef1b1574ca3c181609bdfc451f3ab2.jpeg

 

My moms (and my wifes, too) request: tuna & onions …

 

IMG_0142.thumb.jpeg.3bae885d01c36474cd589c1b0e81e589.jpeg

 

And the „leftover pie“: grilled meatballs, onions, goat cheese and mushrooms …

 

IMG_0143.thumb.jpeg.ef657c771a9f08ea202c8ce182a3cdf7.jpeg

 

All enjoyed while starting to watch the new Disneys Peter Pan & Wendy. After 15 min we unanimously decided to stop the movie and watch the 1953 classic instead. I do like that Tinker Bell.

 

No complaints 🥳

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Duvel 

 

those all look like my kind of pizza

 

I(ll call this style :  ''  Plump ''   

 

w crust to match .

 

remindeds me of @Shelby ;s

 

in a way .  I think w her version 

 

the toppings go right to the edge .

 

Id love to try both versions 

 

 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Palak_shrimp_202307-2.thumb.jpg.35f883acdbf666059507a83fb6737ca3.jpg

 

Kind of a shrimp saag? Spinach, cilantro, chicken stock, and sauteed onion, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno in the blender. Add coconut milk, season with nutmeg, cumin, cloves, black pepper, and lemon juice.

 

Shrimp were tossed with cayenne, black pepper, and turmeric, seared quickly, and then poached in the soup (lots of shrimp hiding in the soup). Optional feta cheese sprinkle. Mrs. C added pistachios to hers.

 

Palak_shrimp_202307-1.thumb.jpg.d86487c4a25b2ea2a2c0685e1226c36c.jpg

 

Ghee rice with cumin, cloves, black cardamom, and a cinnamon stick.

Edited by C. sapidus
Forgot coconut milk! (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night was supposed to be grilled tacos, but the weather did not cooperate.  Instead of attempting to grill in the torrential rain, I took Monday's planned menu and made it last night.  Creamy summer squash and basil pasta for four out of five people

 

creamysummersquashpasta.thumb.jpg.1c7be4dadf72d8d98d31b5164d7880a3.jpg

 

 

My nephew really hates summer squash, so he had raw tomato and basil sauce.  Yes, he ate all of that pasta himself.  Don't ask me how.  

 

pastafresca.thumb.jpg.62800a1714a3036bcb76492eaba50a51.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found a new Hunan restaurant on my on-line delivery app. Ordered two dishes.

 

爆炒猪腰 [加菜] (bào chǎo zhū yāo [jiā cài]), Stir fried* pork kidney [with added vegetables].

豆豉烧椒 (dòu chǐ shāo jiāo), Roasted peppers with fermented black beans.

 

These came with rice and a simple soup. Easily enough to feed two.

 

Unusually, and not what I expected, the two dishes had been packed in one bowl over the rice. I don’t mind, but if I weren't having to eat in bed, I would prefer to serve them separately.

 

KidneyandPeppers.thumb.jpg.ef30e724665550d6904aa02b4065de0b.jpg

 

soup.thumb.jpg.3ac36e3df56d6492dad0c3d9c62c04e5.jpg

 

The meal arrived within 20 minutes and cost me the equivalent of $3.56 USD. Their menu is rather limited, but they are new. Hopefully this will change. It tasted just like what I ate when I lived in Hunan.

 

* 爆炒 (bào chǎo) specifically means stir-frying at a very high temperature.

 

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I found a new Hunan restaurant on my on-line delivery app. Ordered two dishes.

 

爆炒猪腰 [加菜] (bào chǎo zhū yāo [jiā cài]), Stir fried* pork kidney [with added vegetables].

豆豉烧椒 (dòu chǐ shāo jiāo), Roasted peppers with fermented black beans.

 

 

Roasted peppers with black beans looks very similar to a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe that we make frequently. She calls it "dou chi shao la jiao".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

 

Roasted peppers with black beans looks very similar to a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe that we make frequently. She calls it "dou chi shao la jiao".

 

Dunlop's 豆豉烧辣椒 (dòu chǐ shāo là jiāo) is the same thing. Saying  辣椒 (là jiāo) or (jiāo) is the same as saying hot chilies or chillies. No real difference.

 

The main difference, if I remember correctly, is that she uses a technique involving frying whereas in what I had today, the peppers were roasted. (shāo) covers a number of different techniques. It is the same word as the Cantonese siu as in char siu, 叉烧 (chā shāo).

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That chunk of pork roast keeps on giving!
                                                                          RoastPorkRedux1476.jpg.74f1dda1d84c301cfa870ceb675b447d.jpg

 

Finally! Used the big pork roast bone still with meat clinging to it = congee. At serving, added Century egg, pork slices, fuyu, pork floss, chili radish, cruellers. It was rather hefty with all the add-ons!

                                                                         LoadedCongee1479.jpg.764da547fdc5cb011bf1725a2dd064a9.jpg

 

Safeway rotisserie chicken, unfortunately not cheap like Costco, gravy, new taters, and mixed beans with fuyu.

 

                                                                         SagwayChicken1483.jpg.f5c734c48522e3f9762bbdad4e22c507.jpg

 

Had granddaughters up for supper - picky eaters! They are at the stage where one says she likes it, the other says she doesn't! At least, with steak, they will both eat it IF medium rare. One wanted perogies, the other Cantonese noodles. One ate the corn, the other the beans! Forgot to take a picture of the food plated, but this is the leftovers.

                                                                         SteakwithGrands1490.jpg.c08a940fbc2092efe7baf86e2e05919a.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a very monochromatic meal until serving time, but delicious and easy enough that it's worth commemorating: Cauliflower Shawarma. The original recipe came from Melissa Clark in the New York Times (this gift link should work) although the Seattle Times reran it last spring and I posted about it here. The basic recipe calls for tossing chunks of cauliflower and red onion in a marinade of olive oil with cumin, paprika, ground coriander, salt and pepper, then roasting them on a sheet pan until turning soft and brown. The first time I tried it, I added whole chicken thighs that had been similarly marinated. This time, I cut boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite-sized chunks, gave them the same marinade treatment and added them during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, stirring a couple of times to ensure that the chicken was done but not overdone. 

 

20230717_221539.jpg

 

It can all be served in a pita pocket or wrap, with cucumber, tahina sauce and herbs added. I put it all into bowls instead. Now that I review The Times' version I see that they added bits of tomato to the finished dish. Tomatoes would have been a nice addition, both for visuals and flavor. With or without tomatoes, this is a keeper recipe, and I'm touting it again as I have in the past.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2023 at 8:17 PM, C. sapidus said:

Palak_shrimp_202307-2.thumb.jpg.35f883acdbf666059507a83fb6737ca3.jpg

 

Kind of a shrimp saag? Spinach, cilantro, chicken stock, and sauteed onion, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno in the blender. Add coconut milk, season with nutmeg, cumin, cloves, black pepper, and lemon juice.

 

Shrimp were tossed with cayenne, black pepper, and turmeric, seared quickly, and then poached in the soup (lots of shrimp hiding in the soup). Optional feta cheese sprinkle. Mrs. C added pistachios to hers.

 

 

If you take that image and invert it, you can see slimer from ghostbusters in the image.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

This is a very monochromatic meal until serving time, but delicious and easy enough that it's worth commemorating: Cauliflower Shawarma. The original recipe came from Melissa Clark in the New York Times (this gift link should work) although the Seattle Times reran it last spring and I posted about it here. The basic recipe calls for tossing chunks of cauliflower and red onion in a marinade of olive oil with cumin, paprika, ground coriander, salt and pepper, then roasting them on a sheet pan until turning soft and brown. The first time I tried it, I added whole chicken thighs that had been similarly marinated. This time, I cut boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite-sized chunks, gave them the same marinade treatment and added them during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, stirring a couple of times to ensure that the chicken was done but not overdone. 

 

20230717_221539.jpg

 

It can all be served in a pita pocket or wrap, with cucumber, tahina sauce and herbs added. I put it all into bowls instead. Now that I review The Times' version I see that they added bits of tomato to the finished dish. Tomatoes would have been a nice addition, both for visuals and flavor. With or without tomatoes, this is a keeper recipe, and I'm touting it again as I have in the past.

 

 

I second the recommendation for this dish.  I think the last time I made it, I served it with hummus too, which was a big hit. Next time I will add in the chicken, since we all like chicken shawarma so much.  Hot sauce is also good for adding a pop of color.  

 

Last night, chicken tinga tacos.  My nephew grilled a flank steak for people who wanted steak tacos also, but I didn't get a picture of those.

 

chickentingatacos.thumb.jpg.44f21aa519718e4348430d38fa0c697c.jpg

 

 

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Baked sweet potato and turkey cutlets.  Cutlets were dusted with flour, s/p and sautéed in butter and olive oil.  Port was then added (as I couldn’t find the Marsala on a quick look) and cooked at a simmer for a few minutes.  Topped with sautéed onions and the cooked down sauce.

Loose leaf lettuce salad followed by a mini version of Black Forest cake, poached tart cherries, crème fraîche.

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4055.jpeg

IMG_2655.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hot and humid as it is everywhere it seems like.  But, it's July in Kansas.  As usual, I'm trying to use up tons of squash--two plants up and died in the last few days.....I'm thinking Ronnie poisoned them (kidding) so we won't be getting as many as we were.

 

Anyway, dinner:

 

I made these several years ago and then forgot about them.  You put jalapeño poppers inside of your burger then grill.  I bought TGI Friday's brand and cooked them from frozen for 7 mins at 400F to give them a head start.  Then I formed venison burger patties around them and Ronnie grilled.  Fun and good.  When our garden jalapeños get bigger I'm going to make my own.  Also did some grilled squash.  I always forget how good that is.

 

thumbnail_IMG_4739.jpg.816b03429aa11b75d3769ae7185a4414.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_4740.jpg.7904edbca470100b14bec4102eb15148.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_4741.jpg.ac761ea2de69ab7432149cf41c50b645.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_4742.jpg.74b2f2e2cc325e21b2e2b7c75e4aee9a.jpg

 

Roasted chicken with the first beans from the garden and our potatoes too.

 

thumbnail_IMG_4744.jpg.369ba94e4d9a48fd0c8ea9310996667a.jpg

 

Last night was the rest of the lasagna with squash rollups and salad

 

image.jpeg.33d4a82e0af5459d43b98927b063a54c.jpeg

 

thumbnail_IMG_4748.jpg.2a0f9ed22f1fb47a0e6d0ab3dc6e2e5e.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Broccoli_pasta_202307.thumb.jpg.57e22d3a7f48f3e9dd8db7c88f949ab1.jpg

 

Broccoli and anchovy sauce over linguine. Garlic, black pepper, olive oil, butter, and grated Parmesan rounded things out.

 

Mrs. C crisped up freezer meatballs if anyone wanted something meaty.

 

Another "lets make a meal with what we have" dinner.  🙄

  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Dinner tonight was ugly but tasty. 苦瓜炒牛肉 (kǔ guā chǎo niú ròu). Stir-fried bitter melon and beef.

 

.thumb.jpg.6a40040f699faa9f8dea2e97ccb722dd.jpg

 

What are the bits of yellow in the rice?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What are the bits of yellow in the rice?

 

I've been trying to work that out all evening! It's not the dreaded yellow devil seeds. I'll have to get back to you on that.

  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...