• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Yesterday's quick dinner after a day of taking advantage of some nice spring weather.

Rib bone off a rib roast, rubbed with dry mustard and Montreal Steak Blend, carrots, mushrooms and some 'curly fries' (which were interesting to try but not worthy of an encore). 

Enjoyed with a Propeller Craft IPA.

BeefRibCurlyFrieswithVeg..thumb.JPG.72a538ab302154892ceafb9fd08007b0.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Veal "Schnitty" night. As it's commonly called here but mostly referred to chicken.

Not this chicken.. That's Allan giving his approval. 

IMG_20230524_185349.thumb.jpg.f1401920248eae95028708b018c8c7f8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Finally I was able to find some fiddlehead fern. Made pan fried Bronzino with black garlic sauce to go with this dish.

dcarch

BronzinowithFiddleheadFern2.thumb.jpg.739b2164f779e6acc77dbca0915a0d5f.jpg

BronzinowithFiddleheadFern.thumb.JPG.b83d1338242431d2047e9fb20c058b73.JPG

I've not seen fiddlehead for sale in years.  I envy you.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

Beautiful plating and photo! I remember some years ago there was an ongoing discussion of food photography, and you were my idol in your plating and photos. Your avatar pic I still remember from when you made that dish, just brilliant!

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

At my restaurant, many years ago now, a very nice lady from Georgia made my day by asking "How do y'all get the asparagus to curl up like that?"

• Haha 13

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@mgaretz 

what was your source for the orange chicken ?

Tj's has a decent version , but yours looks like it involves

significantly larger chunks.   TJ's is mostly dark meat , which I enjoy 

cooking them in the CSO.

8 hours ago, dcarch said:

Finally I was able to find some fiddlehead fern. Made pan fried Bronzino with black garlic sauce to go with this dish.

dcarch

Seems late for fiddlehaeds.

All my ferns have been up for weeks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz 

what was your source for the orange chicken ?

Tj's has a decent version , but yours looks like it involves

significantly larger chunks.   TJ's is mostly dark meat , which I enjoy 

cooking them in the CSO.

Costco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

I”’Ve see you do some gorgeously imaginative plating. That may take the cake.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sloppy taco night with a BoSaam packet from the freezer. (braised pork shoulder)

Kimchi and yada yada. 

Another nice fresh green sauce. Jalapeño, Persian cucumber, a celery stalk, cilantro stems, a handful of arugula--last delivery sent me an extra giant container. Added three stalks of rhubarb, sliced and blanched with fresh ginger slices and a few garlic cloves. Then chilled. All blendered together.

(blanched rhubarb?..not sure what to call simmered for 5-6 minutes). Blanching is usually brief. 30 seconds-ish.

*a new book out has in the title 'savory and sweet rhubarb recipes'. Lost track of the link, --maybe Eater?

A recipe in the article had simmered rhubarb, still crisp, with a bit of sugar. Chilled and added to potato salad. Odd, but I'll try anything having so much harvest at the moment. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 12.52.01 PM.jpeg

IMG_6177.jpeg

• Like 8

@Annie_H Very interesting green sauce esp add of cucumber and celery. And rhubarb. Looks quite blended as opposed to a chunky salsa. I need to play around like that "outside of box".

I tried a new recipe in that Cool Smoke BBQ book.  It used a mustard sauce that was a modernized version of a Carolina BBQ sauce from the 1700's.  I did a second slab but finished it with a tomato based sauce.  Neither one was a winner in my opinion.  The rub was too salty and they were over-cooked.  Oh well, you can't hit a home run every time you step up to bat.  This one wasn't even a base hit.  The mustard sauce was good but got old after the first bite.  If you lived in a time when tomatoes weren't generally eaten, it was probably what everyone expected.  I will try it on some chicken and see how that turns out. 

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Captain said:

And the Chicken is not Allan.

I would hope not! Years ago I worked for a couple that had a big gray parrot. Every night he sat at the table and had dinner with them. He would eat everything except chicken, turkey, or duck.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Oh well, you can't hit a home run every time you step up to bat.

They both look amazing and before I read your comments  my mouth was watering. Sorry they did not turn out to your satisfaction. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wanted to use the Pane al Latte bread to make hot chicken sandwiches for dinner.

HotChickenSandwichMay25th2023.thumb.jpg.d2b82ea74ef741e21098c1855bab23e0.jpg

Got home from work just before 5:30. Moe had the oven preheated to 500°F for me.  Put two chicken breasts in the

oven to roast.  Potatoes were cut using the  Breville Sous Chef 16 Pro French Fry blade which took less than 30 seconds to cut 3 russet potatoes. 

Left to soaked in salted water.

When chicken was half cooked, I did the first fry on the fries.

Chicken came out of the oven after about 35 minutes and rested while I made the gravy.

Just had to slice the chicken, do the second fry on the potatoes , heat the canned peas and

serve.  We were eating in an hour after I walked in the door. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

On 5/24/2023 at 8:41 PM, dcarch said:

dcarch

All I can say is, wow!

Wednesday, a wedge of brie with salad and some baguette.  Some of the brie got saved for another day.

brie.thumb.jpg.4bf05d477ce2bfb3e47e26a8cb989b9b.jpg

Last night I made mutter paneer, cauliflower-cashew curry, rice and naan

curries.thumb.jpg.13dc0221ae726ae2566b01b4c43a308d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4