• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Fisherman's Stew over some chili crisp tossed rice noodles. House guests next weekend I'll make some fresh boule loaves. --I made noodles for next day lunch salad bowls. Rather have fresh bread for the broth. Nice tender mussels from WildFork. Cod and salmon under. The salmon sucked. 

I'll save that for salmon croquettes. Dry and tough. Not had salmon like that ever. (WildFork)

My menu does not have much starch so fresh bread seems perfect. 

IMG_6014.jpeg

• Like 14

Charlie liked the fried chicken in the new Air Fryer but said it needed more garlic.  He requested to have it again with mac and cheese but he is tired of the kind that comes in a box so I made some homemade with bread crumbs.

IMG_0874.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

A chicken dish to use up some veg etc.

Onion, garlic, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicum and fresh basil, rosemary and oregano.  Passata sauce and some penne pasta.

IMG_20230503_192703.thumb.jpg.a2a37c9bbf31850f6e1d56509c25234b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

12 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie liked the fried chicken in the new Ari Fryer but said it needed more garlic.  He requested to have it again with mac and cheese but he is tired of the kind that comes in a box so I made some homemade with bread crumbs.

IMG_0874.jpg

So does he like the more stout version of mac and cheese. Like the well done corners if baked? In the couple BBQ joints I've gone to aroind here regulars often ask for the end pieces with the crunch.

• Like 1

Jars can be our friends, especially on the day you return from a trip.  Went to US for first time since Aug. 2021....and bought a house!!

Blackened grilled salmon over white beans (from Spain) and artichoke hearts (from Peru).  All I added were a few cloves of garlic, chopped shallot and fresh rosemary from my patio. 

Wish it wasn't so white, but flavors were there. 

salbeans.jpg

beansart.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

So does he like the more stout version of mac and cheese. Like the well done corners if baked? In the couple BBQ joints I've gone to aroind here regulars often ask for the end pieces with the crunch.

I don't know.  There weren't any corners like that in the dish today. It was just baked until the fresh buttered bread crumbs were browned.  I'll ask him what he thinks about that.  He said the chicken was perfect and the mac n cheese was delicious.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I don't know.  There weren't any corners like that in the dish today. It was just baked until the fresh buttered bread crumbs were browned.  I'll ask him what he thinks about that.  He said the chicken was perfect and the mac n cheese was delicious.

so you had a win! Thumbs up :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@C. sapidus I braise red cabbage in apple juice with diced onions,  a shot of cider vinegar and allspice (not too much)

Thanks, that sounds good @gfweb! For the leftovers tonight I added more S&P, more walnuts, and a sprinkling of green chile powder that a friend made in Maine. Definite improvement, although a jolt of acid might have been nice, too.

All About Braising has a recipe for red cabbage braised with maple and ginger. Gotta try that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

@C. sapidus I braise red cabbage in apple juice with diced onions,  a shot of cider vinegar and allspice (not too much)

Pretty much the same here, though I go with caraway rather than allspice.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Jars can be our friends, especially on the day you return from a trip.  Went to US for first time since Aug. 2021....and bought a house!!

Congratulations!  

It was rather miserable here weather wise last night, so I made spaghetti and meatballs with garlic toast

spagbol.thumb.jpg.37f42e3b59c91d07fcdc1f54cf3531a0.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

@C. sapidus: I think Ali Slagle's Crispy Grains with Kielbases and Red Cabbage is a very good way to use red cabbage. Take a look here. If it appeals, PM me and I'll send what I can of the recipe.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Spring yard clean-up has begun! Quick meals ahead!

Curry Beef, Basmati rice, and stir-fried veg.            CurryBeef0803.jpg.233c434f2848a9b2304deeccc9593d26.jpg

Basmati rice redux= Veg fried rice with bits of the leftover curry beef tossed in

BasmatiRiceRedux0809.jpg.eef91d059ae65800e3d230fee02ec580.jpg

Our Soo's Restaurant #12A: Cantonese Chow Mein with liberty taken with veg;-)

CantoneseChowMein0798.jpg.1cc57238493f83af8ab28c570ba9cf50.jpg

Dinner was a staple in my pantry: canned deep fried dace with black beans: over Shanghai bok choy. Eaten with Jasmin rice.

FaceandShanghiBokChoy0808.jpg.ca57e22983da28b7cd793981db56cfc6.jpg

Spent yesterday making Char Siu baos with the pork I cooked in the Big Easy a few days ago. Most of the 3 doz went out of the house. These 8 were the rejects;-)

_Baps0818.jpg.bcbf9388c45168a2b1f7d726ca96e5ad.jpg      baos.jpg.8229349f11030d43db000d0c1cf9468a.jpg

Dessert was one of these: Tart shells were bought from the Chinese grocery

eggtarts.jpg.0545d08cd501e67e7e146e34a885b584.jpg                    EggTart.jpg.48e9ec7a0eb0bf0d8bbc4431692f5e99.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Pretty much the same here, though I go with caraway rather than allspice.

Cloves, my friends, cloves. And a bay leaf …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lupini beans in a slightly sweet curry with plenty of coriander seeds and tamarind, cashew.

Okra in yogurt sauce with turmeric, garlic and hing.

Black pepper rice. Not pictured - home made mango chutney. 

PXL_20230422_181829331.thumb.jpg.847d5b149c28eedb594dfd10d66202b1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Keema_spinach_202305.thumb.jpg.ab661adc751efcdd7f72ae1de890174b.jpg

Nontraditional keema with ground chicken, onions fried caramel brown in ghee, garlic, ginger, bird chilies, curry leaves, turmeric, garam masala, lime juice, and flat-leaf parsley. I make keema quite often, and Mrs. C said this was her favorite yet.

Spinach with ghee, whole cumin, cayenne, and turmeric, cooked down with bone broth. Microwave lime-cilantro rice to go with (quite good, so am happy to be lazy until it is gone).

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Another nice big beef schnitzel with other stuff.  I was quite literally going to just serve the schnitzel until I was told otherwise.

IMG_20230504_191857.thumb.jpg.9bee6afb8763abaa91c84503ffc08732.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 4

IMG_2946.thumb.jpeg.fa39b7e99f73befb67eaaa42d353c3b2.jpeg

Take-out chicken in black bean sauce over rice and an egg roll. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Dejah said:

Spring yard clean-up has begun! Quick meals ahead!

Curry Beef, Basmati rice, and stir-fried veg.            CurryBeef0803.jpg.233c434f2848a9b2304deeccc9593d26.jpg

Basmati rice redux= Veg fried rice with bits of the leftover curry beef tossed in

BasmatiRiceRedux0809.jpg.eef91d059ae65800e3d230fee02ec580.jpg

Our Soo's Restaurant #12A: Cantonese Chow Mein with liberty taken with veg;-)

CantoneseChowMein0798.jpg.1cc57238493f83af8ab28c570ba9cf50.jpg

Dinner was a staple in my pantry: canned deep fried dace with black beans: over Shanghai bok choy. Eaten with Jasmin rice.

FaceandShanghiBokChoy0808.jpg.ca57e22983da28b7cd793981db56cfc6.jpg

Spent yesterday making Char Siu baos with the pork I cooked in the Big Easy a few days ago. Most of the 3 doz went out of the house. These 8 were the rejects;-)

_Baps0818.jpg.bcbf9388c45168a2b1f7d726ca96e5ad.jpg      baos.jpg.8229349f11030d43db000d0c1cf9468a.jpg

Dessert was one of these: Tart shells were bought from the Chinese grocery

eggtarts.jpg.0545d08cd501e67e7e146e34a885b584.jpg                    EggTart.jpg.48e9ec7a0eb0bf0d8bbc4431692f5e99.jpg

What is dace?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is dace?

a small freshwater fish related to the carp, typically living in running water.

Very common in China, nearly always canned with black fermented soy beans. Traditionally a poor man's food. Avalable in every supermarket and cornershop.

O1CN01ZP1XUZ27EQBZET9sv_!!2211237297765.thumb.jpg.2ed31fee083edcae1e2dd88bb724f838.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto