• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

RhubarbPieApril22nd20232.thumb.jpg.b22bbcecdb42212586c146e7ae5c1d75.jpg

and rhubarb pie for dessert. 

OH! Wish our weather would warm up so my rhubarb can come out! The first pie is the bestest! ❤️

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

Great looking rendang... nice and dry!  I've been itching to make rendang too... I have some goat meat in the freezer with rendang written all over it but I need a lot of time and I'm still on the hunt for some either fresh or frozen turmeric leaves, which would be a common ingredient in a traditional North Sumatran rendang.  According to William Wongso, the premier Indonesian food authority, rendang originated there.  He has spent years trying to bring Indonesian food outside of Indonesia and was very proud that in 2011, rendang was named the World's Most Delicious Food in a CNN article.

@C. sapidus Never thought of potato rendang. Looks fabulous! Will have to look into that.

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Finally caught up reading and drooling over the last few pages. SO many dishes I now want to make: scallop boats, bacon wrapped duck breasts, Sek Pak, more galibut...and so on...
 A few more of the meals from weeks past:

IP Black Bean Garlic Ribs                                        BlkBeanRibsplated0601.jpg.4ab8a67c2aa3e7e011bbf192ff32e425.jpg

Panko-crusted Halibut. This was a piece of fresh halibut on Superstore Flashfood app at 50% off. Guess nobody was buying at the present price. The piece was large enough to feed us both, under $10.00

Halibut0618.jpg.27a40e5bee371c883924253c87aaea2f.jpg

A couple of pieces of oxtail and short ribs i picked up at our Latin food mart. They had advertised $5.00 / lb for ANY cut, cheaper than what I'd have to pay at regular supermarket. Cooked in IP

OxtailStewpappardelle0622.jpg.d7a0e983bd832dada5b8da9aa89a6772.jpg

Using some of the Vadouvan Curry from Silk Road Spice Market: Shrimp, Basmati rice, and stir-fried veg.

VadouvanCurryShrimp0609.jpg.82b6c2af4f3b16c38e2b5d08760310e4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A few recent dinners/late lunches.

Oven fried chicken breast with arugula, tomatoes with a spicy tahini dressing, olives and pita

Humus, tomatoes, Boursin, onion pancake and fruit with yogurt.

Shrimp, chicken thigh, greens and shrimp roe noodles tossed in chili oil. Salad not shown.

ChickenTomatoesArugulaOlivesandPita.thumb.JPG.b1c98694c8e17b44fdd4fc7612a4caf9.JPGOnionPancakewithBoursinHummousTomatoandYogurtwithBlueberriesandApples.thumb.JPG.ff251b0ee2aba3d0fbf90433240a3896.JPGShrimpChickenandNoodleBowl.thumb.JPG.61961ddeaf2b35a70e99e922d652e8d5.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Schweinshaxe done in the Kamado bbq.

IMG_20230423_140106.thumb.jpg.0c31094c5851f513dffd2829df8343ee.jpg

Magnifcent. Salivting here is a tactful description. What technique and timing did you use to get the meat done andunctuous and the skin so nice I've only done it pre-cooked in a crockpot and  thenfinished to crisp in a hot Weber kettle.

• Like 1

Pizza tonight.
SausageandMushroomPizzaApril23rd2023.thumb.jpg.7a847832e657c4678600104e93424d61.jpg

Dough was made on Wednesday and had been in the fridge until noon today.
Dough was ready to use by the time I got home from work at 6:00 PM tonight.
Seasoned some ground pork to make some bulk Italian sausage.
SausageandMushroomPizzaApril23rd20231.thumb.jpg.95d40191dea8cd029e412ef4f012e27a.jpg
Fried some up and topped the pizza with the sausage and sliced mushrooms.
Baked in the Ooni.
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 6

23 hours ago, heidih said:

So the mushrooms for pesto are completely blenderized? I like the idea.

Yes, dried porcini mushrooms rehydrated and ground up with pine nuts, olive oil and parmesan cheese.  

Seared chicken with burst cherry tomato-basil sauce, spinach, and parmesan orzo

tomatolemonchicken.thumb.jpg.bd62c51ec51942a7c1ef98c575ba4d23.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Cooked some skinless pork belly in the air fryer with just salt. Sliced them and made a sauce with Banchan Japanese BBQ sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil and scallions. Over sautéed cabbage with onion and garlic.

with Dewazakura Abbey Road sake

IMG_1111 (1).jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

On 4/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, Kim Shook said:

A couple of nights ago was take-out.  Caesar salad:

1-IMG_3075.thumb.jpg.b1d838f67a74108c03f62d888986f80f.jpg

Completely crappy Cheesy Garlic Bread:

1-IMG_3076.jpg.ee2c1f2ee165ca330111366b7f511df5.jpg

Barely warmed, cheese not fully melted and no garlic flavor at all. Pizza was decent, though:

1-IMG_3077.thumb.jpg.fe24cf6b9996a574e20cab3b98aa58b2.jpg

Last night was date night at a new (to us) place called 21 Spoons.  It was named best locally owned restaurant in VA by Southern Living magazine this year.   We really enjoyed everything and will definitely be back.  We started with cocktails:

1-IMG_3087.thumb.jpg.45eee256740fb379ed7c63e0cef72d65.jpg

Cirrus vodka & tonic and a Three Crosses bourbon – both companies are local. This place really focuses on local goods, as much as possible.  And I’m madly in love with my glass and the swizzle stick:

1-IMG_3089.thumb.jpg.8bf4bdb5fe63603d3a8da09bc822c825.jpg

1-IMG_3090.jpg.1dd5e920c08f12cd45686a8531d861f3.jpg

I found the swizzle sticks on Amazon and put them on my wishlist, but no luck so far with the glasses. 

We had the bread service:

1-IMG_3091.jpg.a0db657809813cb29b301c3d3380adfa.jpg

Farmer’s loaf, zucchini, and honey beer. The beer flavor could have been more pronounced and the zucchini bread was the best either of us has ever tasted. 

I had the Bacon wrapped duck breast, sautéed Swiss chard, roasted and smashed red potatoes, with a pear gastrique:

1-IMG_3092.jpg.2445ae63177376574d18b909849258ff.jpg

The gastrique was absolutely perfect and elevated excellent potatoes to extraordinary.  The chard was the best preparation I’ve ever tasted.  I rarely order duck breast because of how weird some chefs are about cooking past medium-rare, which I detest.  It literally becomes like a wad of wet paper towel in my mouth that, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get down.  But this chef was happy to do medium.  And it was perfect:

1-IMG_3094.jpg.73115cd27612e036ddb3364d038f9c37.jpg

I was heating it up for lunch today (4/22) and nibbled on a cold piece and it was STILL tender and moist.  Amazing.  Eating the leftovers, I’m thinking about how good duck and roast potato hash would be. 

Mr. Kim had the house made pappardelle noodles, pan seared shrimp, local mushrooms, asparagus, basil, pea-shoot pesto, and shaved Parmesan:

1-IMG_3093.jpg.be8715e1da7c22a7464f08a348ab25c6.jpg

It sounded a bit overreaching to me.  Like there was too much going on.  I was wrong.  This was perfectly balanced and the thinness of the mushrooms and asparagus made them almost a part of the pesto – more flavoring than substance.  And the mushrooms were very mild, so it didn’t taste funky to me.  But there were enough larger pieces of both that it pleased Mr. Kim.  My only issue is the flower.  I mostly find flowers decorating food to be dumb.

Dessert was roasted strawberry panna cotta, but I knew I couldn’t eat it, so I ordered it to take home:

1-IMG_3095.thumb.jpg.33852f6518359a73bd82c40624281830.jpg

We had one bite there:

1-IMG_3096.thumb.jpg.053f8034783b44db8cd26b7949635720.jpg

It was sublime.  I make a roasted strawberry cheesecake and it had a similar flavor. 

Thought about you Kim Sunday morning. Lovely meal above.

The duck. 

We are having weekend house guests in a couple weeks. Planning a menu, and want to use duck as a second plate after a fresh spring roll. Main is set in stone---a Fishermans stew. Clams, mussels, cod, salmon, swordfish, shrimp...

We have not had duck in a while. Our local favorite market closed Fall 2018. They stocked D'artargnan products. Out of sight out-of-mind I have not thought of it much. 

Recent delivery from WildFork, I ordered a couple smoked duck breasts. Fully cooked. Tender, juicy. Not at all 'over-smoked'. I think meant to be a charcuterie room temp sliced deal. I cross hatched, rubbed with miso, then chili crisp and warmed in the oven 225º low and slow while prepping other things. Two minutes too long under the broiler last minute, but still excellent. 1/3rd left over, next day tacos. 

I like that it is fully cooked so a google search for 'smoked duck appetizers' has many ideas. (my menu needs easy prep-ahead options without fussy tending)

Noodle bowl Friday, then Saturday next night tacos. (and one of our favorite hot sauces. YellowBird, Amazon)

WildFork duck, 8$ for 7ounces. Not just for holidays anymore. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 8.29.26 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 1.05.17 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday crab was 7.99/lb.  That is less than half what it was for most of last year and 2 dollars less than the last time I checked, so that is what we had tonight.  I can't really call it a crab boil because the Conecuh brand sausages and potatoes were the only things actually boiled. Eggs were steamed in a separate pot for ten minutes.  Shrimp and crab legs steamed for about 5 minutes and the corn was put in a cold oven, husks and all, the stove was turned on to 350º and the were taken out 30 min. later and allowed to cool enough to shuck & silk.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

On 4/24/2023 at 8:23 AM, heidih said:

What technique

Thank you.  Naked in the fridge from the day before to dry the skin.

Then like this..

IMG_20230423_110554.thumb.jpg.c182989c67108f42f16111f9c8338bd7.jpg

160c for three or four hours until probing like butter. Remove the tray and make some gravy while getting the temp up high, in the kamado burning charcoal.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Captain said:

A nice big beef schnitzel with steamed potatoes, pumpkin and peas.

IMG_20230424_183455.thumb.jpg.bd88a7e6d26431e2af47154230e82861.jpg

Interesting on the beef. Here, in my experemce, it is usually pork or chicken. Used to be veal before that became protein non grata. Beef though is common as steak Milanesa in Mexican cooking. https://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-steak-milanesa-447707

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Tonight, 2nd time with the rye noodles.  This time more successful:

20230424_172048.thumb.jpg.6ee3a57e050489150e59d8733f5d1ab1.jpg

For some reason they are two wide - it's easier to get 2 then down to 1.. and still not that thick.  Our Ikea Chair works well as a drying rack.

20230424_174303.thumb.jpg.1957fe9060da7e93bb5e25719e8a1734.jpg

I took the spirit of the suggestion in MC@Home.  We caramelized some onions, fried some shiitake mushrooms, and made a toasted sesame vinaigrette. 

This was super tasty - we'll do it again tomorrow with the last bit of noodles (recipe makes over 500g of noodle batter with 1 egg)  Last for 2 days they claim as long as it's vacuumed sealed. 

Edited by Raamo
shiitake (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Yesterday crab was 7.99/lb.  That is less than half what it was for most of last year and 2 dollars less than the last time I checked, so that is what we had tonight.  I can't really call it a crab boil because the Conecuh brand sausages and potatoes were the only things actually boiled. Eggs were steamed in a separate pot for ten minutes.  Shrimp and crab legs steamed for about 5 minutes and the corn was put in a cold oven, husks and all, the stove was turned on to 350º and the were taken out 30 min. later and allowed to cool enough to shuck & silk.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Looks like snow crab. Saw some the other day but too early and prices not marked and I was in a hurry. Will ask next time. I've not associated eggs with a crab boil prep Is that typical where you have had them and would they usually be in a boil to season? Maybe I am thinking of what to me is 'usual' which would involve Old Bay seasoning or similar. Very interesting technique (new to me) on corn.  Gawd I miss good corn - my local grower retired.

The reason I put eggs in crab boil is because Charlie always asks me why I didn't when I forget.  He must have had it that way somewhere because he always wants them included.  I just looked online and it seems it is not unusual to add them.  I always steam them.  The yolks don't discolor and they are easier to peel.  I use Old Bay when I boil them but forgot to use it today. I thought the shrimp tasted better but Charlie missed the Old Bay. I just noticed there is a recipe for steamed shrimp on the back of Old Bay  This is the first time I've tried the corn-in-the-oven.  I saw the recipe a while couple weeks ago but had to wait for the store to have corn on the cob that wasn't already husked and sold five to a package.  

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

Looks like snow crab. Saw some the other day but too early and prices not marked and I was in a hurry. Will ask next time. I've not associated eggs with a crab boil prep Is that typical where you have had them and would they usually be in a boil to season? Maybe I am thinking of what to me is 'usual' which would involve Old Bay seasoning or similar. Very interesting technique (new to me) on corn.  Gawd I miss good corn - my local grower retired.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Thought about you Kim Sunday morning. Lovely meal above.

The duck. 

We are having weekend house guests in a couple weeks. Planning a menu, and want to use duck as a second plate after a fresh spring roll. Main is set in stone---a Fishermans stew. Clams, mussels, cod, salmon, swordfish, shrimp...

We have not had duck in a while. Our local favorite market closed Fall 2018. They stocked D'artargnan products. Out of sight out-of-mind I have not thought of it much. 

Recent delivery from WildFork, I ordered a couple smoked duck breasts. Fully cooked. Tender, juicy. Not at all 'over-smoked'. I think meant to be a charcuterie room temp sliced deal. I cross hatched, rubbed with miso, then chili crisp and warmed in the oven 225º low and slow while prepping other things. Two minutes too long under the broiler last minute, but still excellent. 1/3rd left over, next day tacos. 

I like that it is fully cooked so a google search for 'smoked duck appetizers' has many ideas. (my menu needs easy prep-ahead options without fussy tending)

Noodle bowl Friday, then Saturday next night tacos. (and one of our favorite hot sauces. YellowBird, Amazon)

WildFork duck, 8$ for 7ounces. Not just for holidays anymore. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 8.29.26 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 1.05.17 PM.png

Yellowbird Serrano is a favorite of mine.  I have three bottles in the bedroom.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Beef, tomato, egg - a family favourite. Not sure if it's a southern Chinese version or just that my Mom always put in beef to please my Caucasian hubby who doesn't usually eat tomato! My Chinese students always said "just eggs and tomatoes". Our kids' all love this dish.
                                                                          BeefTomato0701.jpg.59556f63eac6e7348e5ade971c4bc31d.jpg

Roasted a chunk of a whole boneless pork loin that was on sale. Slowly working down the protein in the freezer. Pork was rubbed with whole grain Dijon mustard and poked with stalks of fresh rosemary. Enjoyed some more of my friend's potato, cheese, dill stuffed perogies. The individual servings of apple sauce is perfect for one person. I had my Cranberry Apple chutney.

RoastPorkLoin0737.jpg.92021ff5fa9d7bb138aa8163ee499b6a.jpg

Cut up leftover pork roast and stir-fried with udon noodles, julienne vegetables, beansprouts, oyster sauce, and sweet chili sauce.

PorkReduxwithudonnoodles0738.jpg.d96ba88249bfae88f35c52e67706e8b4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com