• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

The last of a cross rib pot roast from Sunday.

I did something a little different by adding rehydrated and chopped up boletes to the mirepoix of onion, carrot, celery, red pepper and garlic.

I also seared about 300 gm. of halved and quartered creminis, seared the tied and pre-salted 1.3 Kg. roast and then used the bolete liquid and some mushroom broth to braise.

The surprisingly best part of this were the mushrooms which absorbed a lot of flavour from the braising liquid.

Served with potatoes and carrots and a tomato in the broth during reheating.

Enjoyed with a pint of Propeller Mocha Oatmeal Stout.

DSCN0688.thumb.JPG.e66755cff8e1d783802dd67962c8d89f.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

image.thumb.jpeg.380fd413cbf7850e014535fa17704574.jpeg

Shrimp paella. House-made fish/shrimp stock for the paella. The shrimp were sautéed in a little chorizo oil, and added back before serving.

I used a little chopped onion at the start - something I won't do again. Tilted the dish sweet.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 hours ago, FeChef said:

What is that bottom yellow layer? (egg?) and whats the layer above the yellow layer? It looks like bacon. Only asking because you said its (vegetarian)

Yes Matt is vegetarian.  The yellow layer is a very thin omelette and the bacon is a plant based bacon by Lightlife. 

Not sure what all else he had on there, besides the obvious lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, pickle, etc..

8 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Char siu style chicken wings, made in the air fryer with shredded cabbage and house made thousand island.

wings.jpg.5714a525c9d0744a52ba9911eb3a3b97.jpg

It looks like your air fryer can get those wings to resemble being grilled - is there a lot of sugar in your char siu marinade?  Would you say that they have a sort grilled flavor from the charring or does it just look that way in the photo?

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

It looks like your air fryer can get those wings to resemble being grilled - is there a lot of sugar in your char siu marinade?  Would you say that they have a sort grilled flavor from the charring or does it just look that way in the photo?

Yes a fair amount of sugar or sugary stuff. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Now that is a recipe that I would love to have. Please?

Well I kinda winged it.  😉 It was char siu powder mixed in some water with honey, soy and cream sherry. The wings were frozen and cooked plain for 10 minutes, then basted a few times with the mix for 10 minutes then a little dry char siu powder sprinkled on top and cooked for another 5 minutes. Total time 25 minutes at 390f. 

• Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Larb_beef_202303.thumb.jpg.a74b692988744ea2a772b773faf73486.jpg

Beef larb: ground beef browned with sliced shallots, lime juice, and fish sauce, finished with cayenne and chopped cilantro, mint, and Thai basil. Would have added roasted rice powder if we had any.

Thai emeralds dressing also served as dipping sauce: lemon and lime juice, bird chiles, cilantro stems, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar.

Romaine lettuce, tomato, and carrot salad.  Jasmine rice to go with.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

This was actually dinner earlier in the week.

Made a full one for friends but didn't use all of it. So this is Chicken Bastela for 2.

20230328_174046.thumb.jpg.c3b388eee06ef86a3d58b749fa9021ec.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the side

20230328_174325.thumb.jpg.b3d061b03c48c3c7840ddeb53fadfed2.jpg

It's from The New Mediterranean Table.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Larb_beef_202303.thumb.jpg.a74b692988744ea2a772b773faf73486.jpg

Beef larb: ground beef browned with sliced shallots, lime juice, and fish sauce, finished with cayenne and chopped cilantro, mint, and Thai basil. Would have added roasted rice powder if we had any.

Thai emeralds dressing also served as dipping sauce: lemon and lime juice, bird chiles, cilantro stems, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar.

Romaine lettuce, tomato, and carrot salad.  Jasmine rice to go with.

Looks great but I'm confused - you have rice on the plate - so how do you not have toasted rice powder?  Just dry fry some raw rice in a wok until toasted then grind in a spice grinder or mortar.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_2704.jpeg

Laab moo with a dressing of fish sauce, lime juice, roasted peanuts, dried shrimp, chillies and palm sugar over a bunch of lettuce, because I couldn't find a green papaya for the originally-planned salad (pre-ground toasted rice powder in the laab, because the one time I made it myself I over-estimated what 'low heat' meant, and after one hour the rice was was barely darker, but I decided to grind it anyway, and it seems to have been too hard...all in all, it took two hours).

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Looks great but I'm confused - you have rice on the plate - so how do you not have toasted rice powder?  Just dry fry some rice in a wok until toasted then grind in a spice grinder or mortar.

Excellent suggestion, thanks! Unfortunately I noticed the missing ingredient at the last minute.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Udon noodle soup with shiitake mushrooms, pea shoots, carrots, daikon radishes, and mini meatballs flavored with cilantro and oyster sauce.

udonsoup2.thumb.jpg.f87572930dfa86c216c656eb6bffaf5b.jpg

Are the meatballs made from chicken?  What other than cilantro and oyster sauce, what else do you put in?

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Looks great but I'm confused - you have rice on the plate - so how do you not have toasted rice powder?  Just dry fry some raw rice in a wok until toasted then grind in a spice grinder or mortar.

I thought the traditional rice powder for larb was made from sticky rice. He had jasmine on plate - that would work?

Just now, heidih said:

I thought the traditional rice powder for larb was made from sticky rice. He had jasmine on plate - that would work?

Yes, ideally you would use sticky (glutinous) rice for both the rice powder and for the accompaniment, mostly because in the areas where laap originated, that's pretty much all they have so they use it for everything.  But you can also toast jasmine rice in a similar way - you might be able to tell the difference side by side, but otherwise I don't think you'd notice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Are the meatballs made from chicken?  What other than cilantro and oyster sauce, what else do you put in?

Yes, I used ground up chicken thighs.  They also had garlic and ginger, maybe a splash of light soy sauce (I just threw them together without a recipe, as I was originally intending to make tacos, but everyone wanted soup instead).  I thought I might have to add panko or eggs or some other binder, but I let the mixture sit in the fridge for a few hours before shaping and cooking the meatballs and they stuck together fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5922FC33-A3D8-49C0-8189-299CA367F4CC.thumb.jpeg.fcdb3fb25a89aff8c1c3836ac897afcc.jpeg
1 pot 1 tray dinner: oven roasted bbq chicken - sweet n sour cabbage w dried blueberries, roasted zucchini.  Kids wanted it fancy….so I let them paint with the remaining sauce! 

45225DFD-FB05-4D64-BB81-4E1779F389B6.thumb.jpeg.5bda521081419282f084dd741b528290.jpeg

said leftover cabbage as a pizza topping = highly recommended!  If I had some blue cheese it would have thrown it over the edge! 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Looking forward to a trip to North Sulawesi, Indonesia which is a peninsula so they have a lot of great fish and seafood. Also common in the region is a raw sambal called dabu dabu typically only made from chillies, tomatoes (usually not very ripe or even green), shallots and garlic but it can have extras, like the ataulfo mangoes I had. The fish is barramundi, one of my favorites, grilled on a plancha (well seasoned cast iron plate).

PXL_20230331_235137431.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.f8ac7eb5e54ef3aeee0afe45fdd342be.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2