• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

@shain

I may not like absolutely everything you serve but I am so impressed with the variety.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My butcher had this lovely piece of entrecôte yesterday. Got a 700g slice, salted overnight and cooked tonight for 3h@53oC. Seared in screaming hot beef tallow & sliced …

A66A5396-EF3C-4188-AA83-D53DB3662B2D.thumb.jpeg.d725b0a5a68c526a8b753f5bcaa4b7d4.jpeg

Served with a simple tomato salad …

E51E85E1-A162-4ACA-8696-1D479103CCF8.thumb.jpeg.3fe7e51586779826a0f1dbf3171522c3.jpeg

And garlic & rosemary fingerling potatoes.

0EE30F9E-5703-40AC-9714-D019DC183B6F.thumb.jpeg.ee2cbdc4ad671bb98ec43265034c6eff.jpeg

Plus a mushroom compound butter. Simple & satisfying 🤗

ACE9F821-06C6-4E2D-A654-01D679DA6AA0.thumb.jpeg.925cb0e7957a1af1352d347253f73e95.jpeg

Served with a rather popular cuvée from the Palatinate.

6DD83C85-9C0C-4A01-86FF-517FD91F9CD7.thumb.jpeg.3cbb635c8ef710e287cd3c6309aa9b97.jpeg

No complaints 🥳

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

A while back Charlie was telling me about when he lived in Seattle and 1. How the many Chicken Teriyaki restaurants were all alike and how good they were (and about the China Coast salad dressing)  2. The chicken thighs he made at home that was just to dump some undiluted Mushroom soup over the chicken pieces and bake them.  I was planning to make a more ingredient version of the dump recipe today but  overnight he brought home a bottle of teriyaki sauce form a restaurant here in Kansas City that he said tastes like the West Coast version. So I got a little more thighs and tried both.   I wasn't very hungry and just had a taste of both.  I liked the teriyaki that was grilled outside.i

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

A while back Charlie was telling me about when he lived in Seattle and 1. How the many Chicken Teriyaki restaurants were all alike and how good they were (and about the China Coast salad dressing)  2. The chicken thighs he made at home that was just to dump some undiluted Mushroom soup over the chicken pieces and bake them.  I was planning to make a more ingredient version of the dump recipe today but  overnight he brought home a bottle of teriyaki sauce form a restaurant here in Kansas City that he said tastes like the West Coast version. So I got a little more thighs and tried both.   I wasn't very hungry and just had a taste of both.  I liked the teriyaki that was grilled outside.i

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Oh that chicken looks good. Grilled thighs are my favorite. Teriyaki sauce can be cloying but the good stuff strikes a sweet/savory balance. I lost my favorite bottled source when a Pacific Islander geared market closed. I have not tried to recreate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

You are so open minded about trying things - the teryaki thighs looks great to me - my husband would go with the mushroom soup version

• Thanks 1

I haven't been cooking much since my mate has been in hospital, salads and foraging in the freezer have been just fine. Tonight I had a hankering for risotto. This was an instapot version that I was quite happy with. Riffed on one by Amy and Jacky website - they do a lot of research and this was quite decent. I originally balked at their suggestion on soy sauce but decided at the last minute to try it. No taste of soy sauce, just umami.

IMG_8844.jpeg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 14

Coconut chicken and galangal soup (tom kha gai), with bruised Thai chiles, lemongrass, homemade chicken stock, and fish sauce, finished with a little sugar, lime juice, and chile jam (nam prik pao). Had to sub bay leaves for kaffir lime leaves, which have been unavailable.

Stir-fried green beans with garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and sliced green Serrano chiles. This was my favorite variation on this dish so far - gotta be the fish sauce. Jasmine rice to go with.

A couple of younger son's friends dropped by so we invited them to dinner. The young woman grew up in Pakistan, so it is always interesting to get her perspective on foods. No pics, and I'm not sure enough leftovers survived for breakfast. :rolleyes:

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Coconut chicken and galangal soup (tom kha gai), with bruised Thai chiles, lemongrass, homemade chicken stock, and fish sauce, finished with a little sugar, lime juice, and chile jam (nam prik pao). Had to sub bay leaves for kaffir lime leaves, which have been unavailable.

Stir-fried green beans with garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and sliced green Serrano chiles. This was my favorite variation on this dish so far - gotta be the fish sauce. Jasmine rice to go with.

A couple of younger son's friends dropped by so we invited them to dinner. The young woman grew up in Pakistan, so it is always interesting to get her perspective on foods. No pics, and I'm not sure enough leftovers survived for breakfast. :rolleyes:

Fish sauce can be  a nice surprise with a green veg. Step mother was here amd complained about smell in kitchen. Used fish sauce on roasted brussells. Then she tasted them, said wow,  and wanted to disbelieve the add.

Bay leaf sub fr kaffir lime - would not have thought of that!

Was the Pakistan born young lady surprised at the breadth of your cooking range?

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

Fish sauce can be  a nice surprise with a green veg. Step mother was here amd complained about smell in kitchen. Used fish sauce on roasted brussells. Then she tasted them, said wow,  and wanted to disbelieve the add.

Bay leaf sub fr kaffir lime - would not have thought of that!

Was the Pakistan born young lady surprised at the breadth of your cooking range?

My favorite cookbook quote:

"When in doubt, add fish sauce."

- Kasma Loha-Unchit

Lime zest is probably a more common substitution for kaffir lime leaf, but I felt like experimenting.

Pakistani young lady has cooked often at our house, and we have wide-ranging food discussions. I learned that I have been misusing chutneys and mispronouncing lots of Pakistani and related north Indian dishes.  🤣

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

@shain

I may not like absolutely everything you serve but I am so impressed with the variety.

Thanks Anna. If we all had the same tastes, the world would have been much more boring. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh that chicken looks good. Grilled thighs are my favorite. Teriyaki sauce can be cloying but the good stuff strikes a sweet/savory balance. I lost my favorite bottled source when a Pacific Islander geared market closed. I have not tried to recreate.

I can relate. Years ago  there was such a restaurant here that I LOVED. I still miss it.

11 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

You are so open minded about trying things - the teryaki thighs looks great to me - my husband would go with the mushroom soup version

When I make Charlies mushroom soup chicken, I substitute Cream of Chicken soup, add dry onion soup mix and sour cream and garnish with lemon zest.  I added some paprika this time but it didn't look as good after it was baked.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Hers...(a somewhat nice looking plate, with carved breast).

IMG_8904.thumb.jpeg.a6687a4cd69b992f657f3e43609273a8.jpeg

His...a much messier plate...(leg with skin of thigh removed, and some trussing string still visible).

IMG_8906.thumb.jpeg.315948d49e279371e8414895d8c09763.jpeg

Roasted a small BoBo chicken (like 2.75 lbs.). Served with those awesome, crispy roasted potatoes (from Serious Eats), which came out great. Roasted carrots. Sautéed Brussels sprouts.  "Gravy" from chicken drippings, white wine, chicken stock, roasted neck meat, French mustard (from France), butter.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 3/16/2023 at 7:45 AM, liamsaunt said:

Bratwurst, potato pancakes, and a new recipe for braised red cabbage with juniper, caraway, apples, and apple cider that Christopher Kimball published in my local newspaper last week.  We all really liked the cabbage, and it used up two small heads from my CSA box.  I think I am down to only five heads of cabbage now 🤣  

germanfood.thumb.jpg.6aa61d4628f94b4c86213a1875f7b5f3.jpg

I did make that German cabbage for last night's dinner.

OMG!!  The aroma!!! So intoxicating.

I couldn't find the juniper berries I thought I had but the cabbage was incredible  just the same.

I did make one mis-step, however, I should have stopped the cooking when the bouquet was at its peak, but I had it on low in my slow cooker so just let it go until everything else was ready.

I will be making this recipe many more times.  Thanks, liamsaunt/

• Like 3

Last night's original dinner turned into a disaster.  I made a Half Baked Harvest recipe for cauliflower soup with pale ale, rosemary bacon, and cheddar cheese.  It turned out incredibly bitter.  It must have been the cauliflower.  It looked fine.  Oh well!  We tried a couple of ideas to save it, but ultimately down the disposal it went.  I cannot remember the last time I had to completely give up on something I made for dinner.

I had already made popovers, and we all still wanted soup, so I pulled some homemade chicken stock, a bag of gnocchi, and a couple of parmesan rinds from the freezer, and my sister and I chopped up a bunch of vegetables.  We ended up with spinach, carrot and gnocchi soup with parmesan.  It was quite tasty.  Too bad about the cauliflower though.  

chickensoup.thumb.jpg.7d466b2502b971197f69db7993f32995.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Hers...(a somewhat nice looking plate, with carved breast).

IMG_8904.thumb.jpeg.a6687a4cd69b992f657f3e43609273a8.jpeg

His...a much messier plate...(leg with skin of thigh removed, and some trussing string still visible).

IMG_8906.thumb.jpeg.315948d49e279371e8414895d8c09763.jpeg

Roasted a small BoBo chicken (like 2.75 lbs.). Served with those awesome, crispy roasted potatoes (from Serious Eats), which came out great. Roasted carrots. Sautéed Brussels sprouts.  "Gravy" from chicken drippings, white wine, chicken stock, roasted neck meat, French mustard (from France), butter.

Where did you find a 2.75# chicken?  I'd love to find something like that.  Was that the Euro style Bobo chicken?

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Where did you find a 2.75# chicken?  I'd love to find something like that.  Was that the Euro style Bobo chicken?

Yes, Euro style BoBo - head and feet and giblets all included. The actual bird might have been 2.5 - 2.75 lbs.

Upstairs butcher at Essex Market - Luis

I can't guarantee they'll always have theses small ones (called "baby"), but they always have BoBo. Also a great place to buy goat, oxtail, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night's original dinner turned into a disaster.  I made a Half Baked Harvest recipe for cauliflower soup with pale ale, rosemary bacon, and cheddar cheese.  It turned out incredibly bitter.  It must have been the cauliflower.  It looked fine.  Oh well!  We tried a couple of ideas to save it, but ultimately down the disposal it went.  I cannot remember the last time I had to completely give up on something I made for dinner.

I had already made popovers, and we all still wanted soup, so I pulled some homemade chicken stock, a bag of gnocchi, and a couple of parmesan rinds from the freezer, and my sister and I chopped up a bunch of vegetables.  We ended up with spinach, carrot and gnocchi soup with parmesan.  It was quite tasty.  Too bad about the cauliflower though.  

I love cauliflower soup - esp leftovers for breakfast. Sorry about your bitter experience. My first thought was the rosemary as the culprit. Just took the tiniest nibble from some fresh but ij a vase for some time = bitter.  Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I‘d blame the pale ale … did you use an IPA, by any chance ?

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I'm sure it was the cauliflower.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Salmon brushed with miso/honey mixture before roasting. Yams and asparagus cooked on another pan, easy and quick cleanup thanks to alum foil.

70E5E93C-4C79-4EC8-AA99-6A7A16B38735.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Pan-seared mackerel with red onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauce was black and regular soy sauce, black pepper, sugar, and rice vinegar. I need to remember to use that topping on, well, just about anything. Mackerel is not Mrs. C's favorite fish, but she was tolerant.

Javanese cucumber and carrot pickle, with shallots, sliced Thai chiles, rice vinegar, and sugar.

Coconut rice with galangal, lemongrass, bay leaf, and Mrs. C's chicken stock.

Mackerel_red_onion_202303.thumb.jpg.e13b4fcf962ca051a2d010a269ca1771.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1