• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Mackerel steak with shiitake, pickled Chinese onions and herbs.

mackerelsteakcooked.thumb.jpg.5c8abde7c9f18d2a052c8a716b8e4c6e.jpg

Served with rice and a side of stir-fried Shanghai greens.

Lovely. What do chinese pickled onions consist of? Apart from onions that is 😆

29 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Lovely. What do chinese pickled onions consist of? Apart from onions that is 😆

They are 酸乔头 (suān qiáo tóu), Chinese Onions or Allium chinense G.Don. A bit like scallion / spring onion heads but more bulbous. Simply pickled in white rice vinegar.

Chinese bulbous onion.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

They are 酸乔头 (suān qiáo tóu), Chinese Onions or Allium chinense G.Don. A bit like scallion / spring onion heads but more bulbous. Simply pickled in white rice vinegar.

Chinese bulbous onion.jpg

Do you have to pickle them yourself or are they an easily bought staple?

2 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Do you have to pickle them yourself or are they an easily bought staple?

I have done both. They are widely available pre-pickled everywhere. But from time to time, when I have nothing better to do, I do them myself.

• Like 1

I hadn't baked a pizza in the Ooni recently so I started a batch of dough this morning.
PepperoniandOlivePizzaMarch22nd20231.thumb.jpg.4231f660b172edf0a6b5708deb0d80e4.jpg
Normally I leave the dough in the fridge for a day or two for a longer cold fermentation, but this was a same day bake.

PepperoniandOlivePizzaMarch22nd2023.thumb.jpg.f057e7038eb3c47ff78f550c4b73237e.jpg
Forgot to take a photo before cutting so it doesn't look as pretty.
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Had a dr's apptn in Winnipeg. Always want to take special foods into our daughter and s-i-l.

Had a big slab of pork loin in the freezer. Marinated, roasted, then made into Char siu bao filling.

CharSiuBaofilling0394.jpg.6a003346ba400a53682b31d5924d334d.jpg

I once mentioned make baos with chicken, Shitaki mushrooms, and lap cheung, something not commonly found in China. @liuzhou mentioned that he was not familiar with that filling, so I made up a batch of that filling as well

ChickenMushroomBaofilling0397.jpg.9da13a641cc279f1c6ca980502b7c5bf.jpg

We each had half of each variety along with Shrimp roe noodle soup

Charsiubaosandnoodlesoup0415.jpg.4574370adf2f714f639876e4cfc1cdf7.jpg

As we were going to arrive at the kids' place around supper time, I made up a large container of Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken. Roasted up some potaoes and green beans as well. This chicken is so goof, hot or cold.

CitrusMarinatedRoastCHicken0419.jpg.043377bee39ce82d5ac2c8fa0142ca85.jpg

It's been a while since I found fresh green peppercorns. Picked up some Shanghai noodles, and that was supper when we got back from the city.

ShanghaiNoodles0427.jpg.84b01800a83635684091a12ce75cec5c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Significant Eater has been out of town all week, so I've gotten to do one of my favorite things every night so far; sit at a nice bar, and have dinner. Monday was Gage & Tollner. Tuesday I went down the block to Corner Bar at 9 Orchard.  Last night, I hit up our neighborhood favorite, Cafe Katja.  Tonight was supposed to be another trip out to Brooklyn, to see a great bartender from the early Pegu Club/ Death & Company days, where he is behind the stick a few times a week at another historic NYC joint, Long Island Bar. Tonight's plan has been scuttled due to circumstances beyond my control, Significant Eater is somewhere in the swamps of Jersey Connecticut heading to NYC on Amtrak, and I'll be ordering in for her arrival.

Back to last night, and I think @Duvel will like this!:

IMG_8893.thumb.jpeg.6e29dc6fcb213a5e169aa2d94ac0b2d5.jpeg

Smoked pork shoulder (I think it went as far up as the neck, and might be some of the portion I got). Pork jus. Over their sauerkraut. Spätzle.  And a little apple slaw (though the slaw would have been nicer on a side plate). In the background, a Stiegl (it's Austrian, after all).

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Still dining solo - husband will be in hospital at least over the weekend. I realized that I have been woefully low on veg since I've been eating on my own so decided to emulate a favourite salad from our local pub. Golden beets, spinach, toasted pecans, blue cheese and cherry tomatoes. Their dressing is a maple dijon vinagrette which I made up as I went along. When I was in the market buying spinach, their soup of the day was "Wicked Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup." I bought a cup because it smelled so good. It has a fair amount of spice and heat and went well with the salad.

S_8838.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Quick Curry Beef from the “The Woks of Life” - flank steak marinated in oyster sauce, light soy sauce, oil, water, cornstarch and baking soda. Afterwards stir fried with red and green bell peppers and onions. Sauce made from chicken stock, curry powder, turmeric, sugar and cornstarch.

745C478C-5944-467D-8700-AD3446F5C687.thumb.jpeg.37c66b896a63b744eee3677beb1bb2e9.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Still dining solo - husband will be in hospital at least over the weekend. I realized that I have been woefully low on veg since I've been eating on my own so decided to emulate a favourite salad from our local pub. Golden beets, spinach, toasted pecans, blue cheese and cherry tomatoes. Their dressing is a maple dijon vinagrette which I made up as I went along. When I was in the market buying spinach, their soup of the day was "Wicked Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup." I bought a cup because it smelled so good. It has a fair amount of spice and heat and went well with the salad.

S_8838.jpg

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various spelling variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. David Thompson's recipe is a good starting point - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.

And best to you and your husband, of course.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various spelling variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. David Thompson's recipe is a good starting point - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.

And best to you and your husband, of course.

Brilliant.

Only recently started making Kha Gai as was too addicted to Tom Yum Gai to deviate, will definitely try the addition of floating jam 👍

Spice rubbed chicken marinated (briefly) in pineapple and lime juice, then grilled and served with a cilantro lime coconut sauce over sweet potato puree.  Plus a salad of baby mesclun (the first tender greenhouse greens of the year from my CSA) mixed with some of the last of the purple cabbage.

coconutchicken2.thumb.jpg.f5198a979c10d4acde2b7a9c9bd060ad.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Squid and clams with garlic, chilli and black fermented beans, culantro  and Shaoxing wine. Served with couscous because the orzo I definitely had in the pantry proved to be in my imagination instead.

squidclamcouscous.thumb.jpg.839caccd76f819ea4318f145b194d6bc.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Quail, fried potatoes and cauliflower was dinner last night.  Quail was marinated in buttermilk and seasonings, dried well, then broiled.  While they broiled, the cooked potatoes were fried, popped into the hot oven , followed by the cauliflower.  Quail was tender,  very meaty and had slightly pale pink flesh in the breast.  A brown supper but delicious nonetheless!

26FABA6C-98C0-4BAC-A8DC-C1CB02D73F2A.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Was in pain yesterday with a crazy kink in my back. I was so happy I still had the extra chicken bao filling in the freezer. I managed to thaw that, cooked some rice, and stir-fried some sugar snaps and red bell peppers.

ChickenBaofillingriceandvehg0429(1).jpg.443782b0f8b23bdbef5e6ee78b2c7c6b.jpg

Slept most of yesterday with aid of Tylenol Extra Strength, did an hour of gentle aquacize in the pool at the Y and a short sauna, and the kink is nearly gone! Have containers of pho spice pks and seasonings, and fresh Thai basil and beansprouts on hand, so Beef Pho for supper.

BeefPho0431.jpg.fad0637a5493b17a674bac669d1e8d95.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pad see ew with broccoli 

PXL_20230310_133202669.thumb.jpg.dedf0fe5916aef8a60aee5b312371041.jpg

Dessert sweet potato and ginger soup with potato mochi.

PXL_20230310_192047740.thumb.jpg.0c63f22f4bf86a6a90dee07aecf8ded5.jpg

Shrimps masala, lachuch bread, coconut-fenugreek chutney, mango chutney.

PXL_20230311_123942991.thumb.jpg.809143d95a93bfd6496b977c5e70f4d9.jpg

PXL_20230311_123548515.thumb.jpg.181b272d4e31be94e65ee2696115e96c.jpg

Kısır - Turkish bulgur salad with pomegranate molasses and fresh herbs.

PXL_20230311_190515609.thumb.jpg.dd1c17791b281298a0fd78c07965903f.jpg

Fire roasted eggplant with tahini and yogurt.

PXL_20230311_190643898.thumb.jpg.78350144bb282082c32c4be0253d54f4.jpg

Tom yum soup.

PXL_20230317_194724132.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

~ Shai N.