• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Prawns with couscous.

The prawns were fried with garlic and culantro then garnished with Japanese chilli threads probably too many aesthetically. The couscous is carrying some salmon roe.

Plating could have been better but the flavours were great and it was only for me.

shrimp.thumb.jpg.f6d7e8df397184f48ae9f7e626ca2677.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Kind of pajeon meets bánh xèo. All veggies surrendering in yesterdays crisper raid and one pack of frozen mixed seafood held together in a egg batter with turmeric & coconut milk.

7C9AFB12-9D65-4817-8484-B95D044A6E6C.thumb.jpeg.fc344d7db43e1d317c51c22008e18e82.jpeg

No complaints !

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

7 hours ago, Honkman said:

Green bean salad with sausages - green beans cooked with fresh savory (in German also known as “bean herb”) than mixed with crispy pancetta, red onions, tomatoes and parsley. Simple vinaigrette from oil, white wine vine, hot and mild paprika

I wasn't aware that beans and savory are a "thing." It's popular here in Atlantic Canada for multiple uses; my mother used to put a smidge into her chowders, and her chicken stuffing was primarily flavored with savory and onions.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A chilly and somewhat gloomy day yesterday prompted me to pull together a lovely vegetable beef soup.

A chunk of beef chuck eye, russets, zucchini, carrots, celery, cabbage, green beans, onion, beef broth , can of tomatoes, and seasonings that included a pinch of MSG, HP sauce, parsley and the other usual suspects.

Served with homemade Texas Roadhouse dinner rolls.

It's no wonder that I always make w-a-y more soup than I intend.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Tonight was hake with braised lettuce, peas and bacon lardons. 

I tried out the technique of cooking the fish on parchment for the first time today and really liked it - so easy and none of the normal worry about it sticking. 

59D0230D-EC53-4219-A9D9-A81D49C680BC.thumb.jpeg.2cf42e66d030f2a51a077a91672b3dce.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Brother in law came over. This is what Newari pre-dinner table looks like.

IMG_20230321_200400.thumb.jpg.0fbec3c97a1a34b5ecd0818d558bb71c.jpg

I was asked to do a carbonara. As I've said before, guanciale is not easy to source here, so I used pancetta made in the UK. Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano Reggiano. I was winging the proportions based on Rachel Roddy's recipe.

IMG_20230321_195952.thumb.jpg.e3d4d6919e8d13ca93f67d91b73aba98.jpg

I chose bucatini for the pasta. It turned out well.

IMG_20230321_211522.thumb.jpg.983e2e0e9025e00a1bbe48657c970cc5.jpg

As well as it can without guanciale.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Shrimp with tamarind, fish sauce, Sriracha, garlic, and ginger. Broccoli with garlic and anchovies. Jasmine rice. Not my best effort - everything tasted good, but textures on the broccoli and shrimp were a miss. Oh well.

Tamarind_shrimp_202303.thumb.jpg.db2da57d75e229db2498fb6fd7f6d421.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

My soup pot is like a reverse clown car, when I portion it out it just seems like it makes way more than it should!

Whenever I make soup, my husband says, who else is coming for dinner? Can't help it but soup in the freezer is not a bad thing at all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:03 PM, MaryIsobel said:

That's very kind of you, but apparently one of the groceries here sells them in bulk.

Anyone need juniper berries? Have an over abundance. Free for the asking. They’re in my way.

5 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Shrimp with tamarind, fish sauce, Sriracha, garlic, and ginger. Broccoli with garlic and anchovies. Jasmine rice. Not my best effort - everything tasted good, but textures on the broccoli and shrimp were a miss. Oh well.

Tamarind_shrimp_202303.thumb.jpg.db2da57d75e229db2498fb6fd7f6d421.jpg

Oooh. A combo that never occurred to me. I have shrimp in the freezer and tamarind in the pantry. Will try this. 

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Whenever I make soup, my husband says, who else is coming for dinner? Can't help it but soup in the freezer is not a bad thing at all.

Until it’s been there until it’s old enough to vote, and you clear it out and pitch it.

I made vegetable beef soup t’other day. Served two of us. I have a two-liter jug of it in the fridge. I feel your pain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Kerala said:

As I've said before, guanciale is not easy to source here

Looking good, @Kerala . I love a nice carbonara. 

if you’re hunting for decent guanciale then I can heartily recommend these guys:  https://www.gandofoodsonline.co.uk/shop/meat/

They were a restaurant supplier local to me who pivoted to home delivery during covid. They now do nationwide delivery and have some great products (ichnusa beer 😋). They also helped a lot when I got my pizza oven a couple of years ago - Caputo flour, proper fior di latte, decent San marzanos…

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Thanks 1

Hello 

Happy to be joining you.

Last nights dinner (although I confess these pics are from the time before).

Being a coeliac and loving food can be frustrating sometimes so I always seek out an alternative that might hit the spot. 

This recipe based on a  ‘I Heart Unami” easy wonton soup recipe https://iheartumami.com/easy-wonton-soup/  and was a win on that score.

The wonton wrappers are replaced with rice wrappers (not the same thing at all but worked in a different way) and the prawn and pork contents were delicious. It took a minute to get the knack of wrapping the rice securely on the ball. Snipping off a lot of the excess rice wrapper was the right call. 

Like previously mentioned it’s soup so I ended up with double what I needed and theres now a lot of wonton ball filling in the freezer 😆

Not allowed to post all three pics (probably because I’m new) so I’ll try and post them separately 🤷‍♀️

5792BB78-D144-4878-965F-645A0595F117.thumb.jpeg.d02159a051005053358612ea612dcc76.jpeg