• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Keema_spinach_202303.thumb.jpg.5f1239d3ca896cf39e44b9c8d2aaef15.jpg

Keema with coconut milk, spinach and cilantro, seasoned with lots of onion, chiles, garlic, ginger, and a cabinet full of spices (most notably ground fenugreek seeds, which impart a lovely aroma).

Cumin rice with ghee, and green chutney with cilantro and fresh coconut.

Younger son is home for the weekend - mostly for a better internet connection - but he does seem to appreciate home cooking more than before. :wink:

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

I wanted to vary our St. Patrick's day boiled dinner from our usual.  I made cabbage fritters instead of boiled, Irish baked potatoes instead of boiled and @Shelby the recipe looks pretty much the same as the British baked potatoes you made and were discussing with mommpomps and CookBot last October.  But this recipe said 'Irish' so I felt that gave me permission to make them today.  Everyone liked them. I made Irish soda scones instead of soda bread, Irish whisky butter and Irish Pots de Créme. To drink,  I had an Irish red ale. I did boil the rutabagas, carrots and corned beef.  I got a good price on a whole brisket in Feb. and pickled it for 4 or 5 weeks instead of the usual  1 1/2 to 2.  It was a little more salty than before.  I won't do that again.  The Pots de Créme were in small tea cups but it was so rich, that even that was too much for one serving.

IMG_0767.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Tried a new recipe tonight. Definitely a keeper. We both thought it was wonderful.
And so easy. I didn't leave work until 5:15, got home just before 5:30 and we were eating before 6:15.
Recipe is from Fifty Shades of Chicken A Parody in a Cookbook.
Looks like a lot of good recipes all with suggestive titles.
The one I decided to go with had one of the more tame titles "Flattered Breasts". Would definitely make again.
I had intended to make Pasta Aglio E Olio as the side, but the sauce on the chicken was so good
FlatteredChickenMarch17th2023.thumb.jpg.338b36e513a452448e5ec56345befb8f.jpg
I decided to just increase it slight and serve the chicken and the sauce over the pasta.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I didn't leave work until 5:15, got home just before 5:30

Getting home from work in less than 15 min is truly the most remarkable aspect of this post but the dish also looks amazingly delicious. Are the dark shapes prunes? Kalamata olives? Something else?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Had plans to make Bouillabaisse, but got lazy and just breaded the shrimp with coconut and Panko, and the scallops with Panko crumbs. Eaten with  asparagus

SEafoodplatter0375.jpg.ada016164ad13a8e0de42394a7408be7.jpg

Picked up a package of Jalapeno Maple beef meatballs at Safeway, reduced by $5.00 (cost $5.00 for 5 large meatballs). A friend had given us a couple dozens of potato cheese perogies. Cooked both in the air dryer, and eaten with mushroom green peppercorn gravy. Don't often eat perogies, but these were delicious! omorrow for lunch, with sour cream, bacon and fresh dill!

MeatballsandPerogies0388.jpg.f0d63a843f9c0c904eadc762bcd9f7c5.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Getting home from work in less than 15 min is truly the most remarkable aspect of this post but the dish also looks amazingly delicious. Are the dark shapes prunes? Kalamata olives? Something else?

It is highway driving, with five lights and if I hit all green lights I am sometimes home in 10 minutes.   The dark shapes are Kalamata olives. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I see carrots. This must have been your sister's plate.

I love carrots!  The only vegetable I don't like is kohlrabi.  I'm also not a huge fan of swiss chard but I will eat it without complaining.

Nobody in my house likes corned beef, so our St. Patrick's Day meal was fish and chips with homemade tartar sauce and cole slaw.  The slaw has finally allowed me to declare victory over the cabbage glut we had in the house from my CSA.  Over the past couple of weeks I've gotten the stash down from seven mixed red and green ones to one half of one small red cabbage.  Now I have to start working on whittling down the three gallon sized ziplocks completely filled with carrots.

fishandchips.thumb.jpg.09e7e91316f6913d54fae38d5690334e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 6

12 hours ago, Raamo said:

Tonight it's Duck Kefka Tagine from the cookbook pictured.  it was cheap on Amazon so I got a hard copy (have it on nook since it came out)

20230317_174255.thumb.jpg.f9e430a4e094a58aa816807cdaee3e4d.jpg

20230317_183230.thumb.jpg.628fdd43321220428e5a07f33ef65791.jpg

Nice! Care to share some details of this recipe? It looks lovely 

12 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I wanted to vary our St. Patrick's day boiled dinner from our usual.  I made cabbage fritters instead of boiled, Irish baked potatoes instead of boiled and @Shelby the recipe looks pretty much the same as the British baked potatoes you made and were discussing with mommpomps and CookBot last October.  But this recipe said 'Irish' so I felt that gave me permission to make them today.  Everyone liked them. I made Irish soda scones instead of soda bread, Irish whisky butter and Irish Pots de Créme. To drink,  I had an Irish red ale. I did boil the rutabagas, carrots and corned beef.  I got a good price on a whole brisket in Feb. and pickled it for 4 or 5 weeks instead of the usual  1 1/2 to 2.  It was a little more salty than before.  I won't do that again.  The Pots de Créme were in small tea cups but it was so rich, that even that was too much for one serving.

IMG_0767.jpg

This all looks SO good.  I'm going to have to try cabbage fritters.  I love that you changed it up this year--still very Irish, but different :)

Night before last I threw together a cajun-ish chicken pasta thing.  Salad on the side.

thumbnail_IMG_4170.jpg.2109837ddaa8e469f2e702606ebf9645.jpg

I, too, switched from our usual St. Patrick's Day --throwing everything into the slow cooker.  Wanted something a bit different.  I did @gfweb's SV'd corned beef method--155F for 24 hours.  PERFECT.

thumbnail_IMG_4178.jpg.d806f823ca0ea31677761ffd4b235a7b.jpg

Fried cabbage--onions, cabbage, bacon, salt, pepper, smoked paprika

thumbnail_IMG_4174.jpg.6dd1734fc0801623988fa7aa226466f0.jpg

Carrots done in the IP then tossed with Little Green Dress

thumbnail_IMG_4175.jpg.11fc89aa7be087fe14e59c6ac70f1688.jpg

@Mmmpompspotatoes

thumbnail_IMG_4176.jpg.fa1b7befbed0ff124516c4b5958dcf73.jpg

Made a mustard sauce for the CB

thumbnail_IMG_4179.jpg.dc56ed02e90f437459969d59dcceeb13.jpg

Couldn't resist these cute rice crispy treats.  Super fun :)

thumbnail_IMG_4171.jpg.c422c86db83438d968d976f30a4cdd5a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 9

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Now I have to start working on whittling down the three gallon sized ziplocks completely filled with carrots.

David Lebovitz's les carottes rapees?

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/carottes-rapee/

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:
Tried a new recipe tonight. Definitely a keeper. We both thought it was wonderful.
And so easy. I didn't leave work until 5:15, got home just before 5:30 and we were eating before 6:15.
Recipe is from Fifty Shades of Chicken A Parody in a Cookbook.
Looks like a lot of good recipes all with suggestive titles.
The one I decided to go with had one of the more tame titles "Flattered Breasts". Would definitely make again.
I had intended to make Pasta Aglio E Olio as the side, but the sauce on the chicken was so good
FlatteredChickenMarch17th2023.thumb.jpg.338b36e513a452448e5ec56345befb8f.jpg
I decided to just increase it slight and serve the chicken and the sauce over the pasta.

No time for a before dinner cocktail?

7 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@Mmmpomps

Sorry if I am repeating myself, but may I have a link to these fabulous potatoes?

I don't have a direct link, but I copied and pasted her exact words onto my saved recipes place:

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, &roid said:

Nice! Care to share some details of this recipe? It looks lovely 

It's a  multi step recipe.  I used to order at the authors restaurant.

Inside the book is 2 version of ras el hanout - a easy version and the restaurant version - I made the "hard core" version and it's amazing!

So the kefka is ground duck with ras el hanout, onions, other spices, panko, and an egg.

The sauce is tomatoes, onions, and harissa: I use AB's version.

You finish it with chickpeas + sauce + kefka then once they all hot add egg yolks, preserved lemon, and cilantro. 

The Ras El hanout, Harrisa, and Preserved Lemon really make the dish for me.  

The cook book is only $12 right now (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  it's got a lot of neat recipes.  We enjoyed the slow cooked green beans at the restaurant, and have made it at home our selves.

He's got a recipe for chicken bastilla in the cookbook that I plan to make next weekend for guests.  Uses the Ras el Hanout as well as the Preserved Lemon.   I've made it before and it's the best meat pie I've ever had.

We're down to the final 1/4 or so of preserved lemon in our fridge - so I started a new Jar - it'll be "ready" in a few months - Alton says you can use it after 30 days, but it's much better after 6 months or more.  Our current stock is a few years old.

Here's the new lemons and salt compared to the years old lemons and salt.

20230318_125039.thumb.jpg.d8cd0bddd9109b5758fb84003528fc3a.jpg

You usually only use the rind - it's super soft and the flavor is amazing!

Edited by Raamo
How did I forget the chickpeas... (log)
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't have a direct link, but I copied and pasted her exact words onto my saved recipes place:

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

Thanks! Copied and saved!

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@ShelbyDid the corned beef come out moist with SV? I have such a hard time cooking it. Tried Ann_T's roasting, slow braise, and always seems to come out dry. Might have to make my own? I just remember my Dad's corned beef, moist and tender.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@ShelbyDid the corned beef come out moist with SV? I have such a hard time cooking it. Tried Ann_T's roasting, slow braise, and always seems to come out dry. Might have to make my own? I just remember my Dad's corned beef, moist and tender.

YES.  Truly was the best corned beef we've ever had.  

• Like 1

One of the great things about St. Patrick’s corned beef must be the copious amounts of leftovers …

Baked a rye loaf flavored with caraway seeds …

0BB1AB72-4ADE-4B0C-86B8-BAFE5651215A.thumb.jpeg.338f3ba0885658b742a3a5cb55912730.jpeg

Sandwiches with the bread fresh out of the oven, stuffed with corned beef, a bit of jellied stock and a relish made from mustard, lemon & black pepper mayonnaise, garlic, chopped up cornichons and chopped up braised cabbage. 

16330D17-B70A-4649-BBF1-D3269D7EE2D4.thumb.jpeg.0da1ec169c17b661032a52c315c4c799.jpeg

And while I enjoy a Guiness with corned beef just as the next man, today I opted for my all-time favorite …

55D0D0E8-A44E-49CA-88DE-E511C70B39EA.thumb.jpeg.a062977f147cef6cfc0d6b49f8c5da72.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 6