• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I promise I'm not a stalker. 🤷‍♀️

Nor am I but a favorite line from a neuroscience memory article in my uni magazine "I have a terrible memory - I never forget a thing"

• Haha 7

Bratwurst, potato pancakes, and a new recipe for braised red cabbage with juniper, caraway, apples, and apple cider that Christopher Kimball published in my local newspaper last week.  We all really liked the cabbage, and it used up two small heads from my CSA box.  I think I am down to only five heads of cabbage now 🤣  

germanfood.thumb.jpg.6aa61d4628f94b4c86213a1875f7b5f3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Bratwurst, potato pancakes, and a new recipe for braised red cabbage with juniper, caraway, apples, and apple cider that Christopher Kimball published in my local newspaper last week.  We all really liked the cabbage, and it used up two small heads from my CSA box.  I think I am down to only five heads of cabbage now 🤣  

I am SO making that cabbage!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I am SO making that cabbage!

Me too - have the ingredients. But I wonder why I always see red cabbage in sweet & soure recipes. I only have green but will use that.

• Like 1

Add some raisins into the cabbage for a nice sweet counter to the vinegar.  My grandmother sometimes cubed small potatoes into hers as well.

Love sweet and sour cabbage recipes.  Caraway / cumin work so nicely in them, and tons of associated health benefits!

• Like 2

What happens when I try to get fancy...

Caviarandpotatocake03-15-23.thumb.jpeg.fcef8c371efe6c681988f024598a509e.jpeg

Things taste much better than they look.  Mashed potato "cake," sour cream, Steelhead trout roe.

Nantucketbayscallops03-15-23.thumb.jpeg.f84ad39460065ef2dcb0b5d487fc492d.jpeg

Nantucket Bay scallops. Pasta "sauce" is olive oil, butter, garlic, touch of Calabrian pepper, white wine, lemon, shrimp/scallop stock, and pasta water.  Scallops get barely cooked in tossing with the sauce and the pasta as the pasta finishes cooking.

Bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest to finish.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Me too - have the ingredients. But I wonder why I always see red cabbage in sweet & soure recipes. I only have green but will use that.

It's because acidity helps preserve the color. I make similar preparations with green cabbage all the time, just because I have it on hand more often.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yesterday evening's dinner of commercial oven baked pollock filets and a Greek salad.

The filets were nothing to write home about so they'll be repurposed in breakfast sandwiches.

A liberal application of hot sauce helped.

FishandGreekSalad.thumb.JPG.967b27908916569ecece1de9509ed0cd.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

What happens when I try to get fancy...

Caviarandpotatocake03-15-23.thumb.jpeg.fcef8c371efe6c681988f024598a509e.jpeg

Things taste much better than they look.  Mashed potato "cake," sour cream, Steelhead trout roe.

Great combo - I love a very similar dish of baked potato skins with roe and sour cream. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

That cabbage sounds great. I will hve to look for juniper berries - probably shouldn't just pluck them from the landscaping shrubs - or should I?

• Like 1

After three miserable meals from a food delivery service I decided I needed something tasty for dinner tonight. 

5FA63BC0-EE1A-4B00-8CFC-BC31C0B053DA.thumb.jpeg.b817d528d721e8812bfd54f71ce42ef0.jpeg

This did the trick. Kimchi Jjigae from Owl of Minerva. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Palak paneer (spinach with freshly made curd cheese) and turmeric rice. Palak paneer at a local restaurant years ago got me started on Indian food, and remains a favorite. Anyway, food tasted great and the house smelled amazing.

I had never made fresh curd cheese before. The recipe said to barely boil milk (I used half and half), add yogurt, lime juice, and salt, and simmer for a few minutes before straining out the whey.

Curds separated nicely. I squeezed them in cheesecloth but there was no way they were holding together when “stirred gently” into the spinach mixture. So I need to check some other sources on making paneer. I vaguely recall hearing about a paneer press, for those who make it regularly.

Still tasted delicious, but I prefer the texture of paneer in chunks.

Palak_paneer_202303.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Add pic (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

It is those potato pancakes that I want.  Although I would be happy with the red cabbage too.

HalibutFishandChipsMarch16th2023.thumb.jpg.0314d02c07d593184d48f49deb73ddab.jpg

Halibut fish and chips on the menu tonight.
HalibutFishandChipsMarch16th20232.thumb.jpg.57b858eecfc6de3b7318b6166e27338e.jpg
Beer battered with twice fried fries.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 6

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Shrimp with Candied Walnuts and Udon. 

shrimp udon candied walnuts.jpg

Your dish seemed odd at first until I remembered the similar dish (no noodles) at an old school Chinese reataurant in our old Chinatown - like this --- Quite tasty  https://thewoksoflife.com/walnut-shrimpo  Another craving to be satisfied.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

My niece wanted steak last night so I made that for her and my husband, along with carrots, spinach, mashed potatoes and mushrooms cooked in green garlic butter that I found in my freezer.  My sister and I split a chicken breast that I stuffed with a garlic and herb cheese.   

Neither my niece or husband volunteered their plates for a picture, so here's the chicken.

stuffedchicken.thumb.jpg.a8407bfde7cebf75bed80d79c3e70565.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Baked Pork Chops with fresh thyme from a friend's greenhouse, brown rice, and Shanghai Bok Choy.

BakedPorkChopsCoucous0370.jpg.373a440f21223453cb490fd835f9d8a0.jpg

A Chinese friend gave my brother a "piece of lamb", and he doesn't eat lamb. It was a confusing piece of meat, skin on, rib bones, saddle? I trimmed it up, and added some thin pieces of lamb chops from another Chinese store bulk purchase. Trimmed up the fat, added leeks, carrots, fresh rosemary, and cooked it all in the IP. It ended up still a bit fatty, so mint sauce was needed.
Not the best stew, but got rid of the meat from my freezer.

Ate it with more of the toasted couscous I had picked up at Costco.

LambCouscous0383.jpg.8d35330d90c272e6ea8bbf5657ed558f.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Happy St. Patrick’s Day 🍀

Aperitif …

F1A04111-34EC-4142-B94D-4E65B855FB3E.thumb.jpeg.02854ee8edade57ff8c35b72215817a4.jpeg

Homemade corned beef, cooked SV for 10h@82oC. Potatoes, carrots and cabbage cooked in the SV juices; tender cabbage seared afterwards. While the beef looks a bit weird, it was tender & juicy, and sliced well. Rest of the family opted for burgers 🙄 …

AC443563-6501-408E-A5CF-D9A748991771.thumb.jpeg.791eb2f9477604c906f4bbba6bc3453f.jpeg

Dessert …

C840699D-3D62-417A-A583-5E7AEB133E90.thumb.jpeg.d128b3993c1a6c84317131af3f241ebe.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

E59E0D8D-552D-4BEB-B1E6-1F0699BF5EAE.thumb.jpeg.8ad20faefd9bf7131a1554b7bc4f786b.jpeg

I had forgotten how good chicken adobo could be. I cooked it in the A4 Box ceramic insert. Served over some leftover rice. Given the few ingredients and simplicity of preparation it is no wonder this dish is so popular in the Philippines. (Google brought it to mind!). 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog