• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

8 hours ago, TicTac said:

Perfect sear on those scallops!  What type of fat did you cook it in?

Pickled ramps would have worked and complimented the rest of the dish nicely. 

Thanks! The ramps idea is a good one, that would work well 

I cooked the bacon in the pan first with a little rapeseed oil, then seared the scallops in the fat which rendered out from it. I did my usual method of a hard sear on one side, added a little butter just before that was done then flipped to the non-presentation side to finish the last 20% of cooking, basting with the foaming butter. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Husband was sprung from the hospital today. Our kids are on their way over with sushi from out favourite spot and a dolce de leche cheesecake made by my daughter as per my request. We are celebrating my birthday and my daughter's boyfriend's birthday and of course my husband being out of hospital in fine shape!

Glad he’s out and doing well. Happy birthday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Memories of a weekend in Greece a long time ago... 35 years and 20kg ago!

IMG_20230314_231253.thumb.jpg.22a10945f103d485d926c52806207dcf.jpg

I forgot the sliced red onions, and added some aioli, but hey! tasted good!

Air fryer lamb, so pretty fast prep.

• Like 16

Crab-stuffed roasted Poblanos with jumbo lump crab meat, roasted Anaheim chiles, red bell peppers, celery, red onion, smoked paprika, and lemon zest. No panko so the topping was crumbled crackers, Old Bay, and butter, browned under the broiler. My first time stuffing peppers, but it won't be the last. :biggrin:

Savoy cabbage slaw with chipotle. Gonna make this next time we smoke a pork butt.

Crab_relleno_202303-2.thumb.jpg.3f001b290d0d4c8d65aaac32c4985687.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 6

On 3/13/2023 at 12:55 PM, scamhi said:

dinner last night.

Grilled mustard, thyme shrimp with a sautéed corn, ginger, garlic, butter, cilantro

IMG_0691 (1).jpg

IMG_0692 (1).jpg

don’t make shrimp often as my wife is not a fan but I love them.   But what caught my eye was the blistered corn.  A little char on corn is so tasty.  I have a hard time making corn without a little char 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Honkman said:

Red lentil soup with onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, tomato, vegetable broth and cilantro. Served with some yoghurt.

7761A1BA-C718-4A24-8579-E677CB360A5D.thumb.jpeg.ebe93a9176134cff5ea10dcc53889e19.jpeg

Your dish looks delicious.  
I have some red lentils in the freezer that needs to get used.   Thanks for the inspiration 

• Thanks 1

I've never had mashed potato pizza....looks delicious!

Thawed out some oxtail ragu.  The flavor is excellent but man, the meat is tough.  AND I pressure cooked it to death.  Salad to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_4155.jpg.1a4b063f8450fb3740a096ae6b83b87f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4154.jpg.f5492ca6ce364c4d16a3d880fd073de6.jpg

Used up the rest of the corned goose last night

thumbnail_IMG_4161.jpg.7ec01b5a696139ee52ee7cb5933dcebd.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4163.jpg.319c7121fd664fde8a77197d12168d21.jpg

Made Vivian Howard's Squash and Pistachio Crumble for PI day dessert....not exactly a pie, but close enough.

thumbnail_IMG_4159.jpg.1ae9ff1cc4f1bbdee060d3911221deb3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, RWood said:

Charred Brussels sprout salad. Blood orange vinaigrette & segments, feta, shallots and pecans. Not bad, but needs some livening up. 

4429D405-FF2F-4156-9656-97C3916BDABB.jpeg

Pretty but I'd dash on some acid like balsamic when warm or even one of the molasses things like date, saba or pomagranate and depending on acidity candy the pecans lightly. Blood oranges - beautiful but not so acidic. When I had a prolific grapefruit tree I'd add just a bit for a bitter element. Cracked black pepper and chile of some sort to round it out. Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

Pretty but I'd dash on some acid like balsamic when warm or even one of the molasses things like date, saba or pomagranate and depending on acidity candy the pecans lightly. Blood oranges - beautiful but not so acidic. When I had a prolific grapefruit tree I'd add just a bit for a bitter element. Cracked black pepper and chile of some sort to round it out. Have fun.

It’s got red wine vinegar in the dressing, along with pepper. I was looking at the chile flakes when I was making it. I was leaning toward pistachios instead but tried the original recipe. My mom suggested bacon.  Probably would help. It has raw shallot, and I thought they were too harsh, so I would think roast them with the sprouts. 

Shrimp patia from ‘My Bombay Kitchen’. Sauce was tomatoes, green chiles, dried chiles, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and turmeric, cooked down and finished with brown sugar, tamarind, and lime juice. Shrimp were marinated with cayenne, turmeric, and salt, and then seared and finished in the sauce.

Rice with cloves, cinnamon, red and green cardamom, and bay leaf.

Cucumber raita with red onion, green chiles, cilantro, and mint, topped with cumin, cayenne, and seared ginger

Patia_shrimp_202303.thumb.jpg.a91a5d7270b39e55e9ee60cc8e6c051c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

3 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Shrimp patia from ‘My Bombay Kitchen’.

Nice to see you still cooking from this book!  A little while back when a topic popped up here about Farokh Talati's recent cookbook, Parsi: From Persia to Bombay: Recipes & Tales from the Ancient Culture , I pulled out My Bombay Kitchen, thinking I should really cook from it instead of buying another new book.  I spent some time looking through it and also searched here on eG to read through the very many meals that you (and some others) cooked from this book and posted about here. It's a great book, I very much enjoy her writing and really should get cooking from it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

@C. sapidus OMG flash back on cucumbers., Were you the guy with the kids loving them always - plain? DId that continue?  Great meal that I can amost smell and imagine taste

Ha, yes that would be me. Priscilla coined the phrase "eternal cucumbers" since that was one vegetable the boys were always willing to eat.

And thank you!

Boys are grown up and (mostly) moved out, but they are still happy to eat cukes. 😃

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

@C. sapidus OMG flash back on cucumbers., Were you the guy with the kids loving them always - plain? DId that continue?  Great meal that I can amost smell and imagine taste

I'm not Bruce but yep!  His kids loooooved cukes--Eternal Cucumbers??? Is that what they were called?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I spent some time looking through it and also searched here on eG to read through the very many meals that you (and some others) cooked from this book and posted about here. It's a great book, I very much enjoy her writing and really should get cooking from it!

Yes, My Bombay Kitchen is a favorite. Glad you were able to do some online research here. If you haven't yet tried Andrew's Goa curry or Bombay curry, or even if you have, I would suggest those recipes. Also pumpkin with curry leaves, because it is ridiculously delicious for how simple it is.

You have an excellent memory, @Shelby 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, C. sapidus said:

Yes, My Bombay Kitchen is a favorite. Glad you were able to do some online research here. If you haven't yet tried Andrew's Goa curry or Bombay curry, or even if you have, I would suggest those recipes. Also pumpkin with curry leaves, because it is ridiculously delicious for how simple it is.

You have an excellent memory, @Shelby 😃

I promise I'm not a stalker. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4