• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Been a while since I posted here, so it is amazing to see so many familiar names! Good to see plenty of new names, too.

Anyway, work interfered with cooking for a few years so I decided to retire. 😉

But enough history. I finally found a local source for good Mexican-style chorizo, so tonight’s dinner was zucchini, mushroom, and chorizo tacos with a chipotle-tomato sauce.

Tacos-zucchininmushroom.thumb.jpg.47b7529d7ce0fd3330907fc0b460c9fa.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

13 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Been a while since I posted here, so it is amazing to see so many familiar names! Good to see plenty of new names, too.

But enough history. I finally found a local source for good Mexican-style chorizo, so tonight’s dinner was zucchini, mushroom, and chorizo tacos with a chipotle-tomato sauce.

HOLY SHIT!!!!  I'm sooooo happy to see you Bruce!!!!!!!!  Lovely food btw.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

OMG!!!  Great photo.  Those tacos look amazing.

PrawnCocktailMarch3rd2023.thumb.jpg.6d5054e717224601d9d94339a2529c19.jpg

Wasn't hungry last night and Moe didn't want too much so I made him one of the Prawn Cocktails that he loves.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

4 hours ago, Dante said:

Pasta In The Pink (pasta bake with a sauce of tomato puree, roasted red peppers, ricotta, and fontina)

IMG_20230303_194649311.jpg

I love pasta with ricotta, and I love ricotta with roasted peppers. So I love your dish twice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

40 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@shain

I like your unorthodox (at least to me) frittata presentation. Good one.

Thank you, as I mentioned above, it's a side effect of making the preparation easier :)

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

@btbyrd what's your sauce for S&G? Mine is butter/sherry vinegar/pimenton.

I make stock with the shells and gimpy shrimp. The bacon and andouille get cooked in a pan first, then the shrimp. That builds up a lot of fond. Drain the pan, then cook off some butter and flour and deglaze with the shrimp stock until it comes to a boil. Swirl in cubes of cold butter. I do a variation of this every time... sometimes there's vinegar or lemon, sometimes not. Sometimes I spice it up with some cayenne, sometimes not. I was also serving it with green chile adobo so there was plenty of heat elsewhere.

Edited by btbyrd
Added adobo recipe. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

PXL_20230306_001629724.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.39060135a8c18bfee2217e24971bc4bd.jpg

Mapo tofu with ground elk and lots of Korean leeks (they're like a giant scallion). A little too much sauce (I needed enough liquid to cover the leeks and then they REALLY wilted) but still very flavorful.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:34 PM, Kim Shook said:

@MaryIsobel – we are so lucky in our city to have the variety and the quality of restaurants and food stores that we do.  In a metro area of just over 1million people we have almost every ethnic restaurant.  We have Beard nominated chefs, chefs who have competed on various cooking shows, a lady butcher who won “Chopped” and nationally recognized bakers.  It’s just a blessing.  That Holy Falafel place looks wonderful and that food is my usual go-to.  We are also lucky enough to have a wonderful assortment of Greek and middle eastern places here – from take out joints with a few rickety booths to fine dining. 

@rotuts – as soon as I saw that pork belly, I took out my phone and added that to my Trader Joe’s shopping list.  Fingers crossed mine is stocking it.

@Dejah – I assume the pictures that you posted were of YOUR egg rolls and not the nasty ones?  I wish I could get the wrappers you’ve used, but I’m betting that would be impossible.  I love how thin and bubbly they are. 

@kayb and @Tropicalsenior – re: goopy lasagna.  My lasagna is always overly juicy, too.  And I think I’ve figured out why.  I went to a pasta cooking class last weekend and one of the things that we made was a lasagna.  The layers were: pasta sheets, a thick ricotta/parm/egg sauce, shredded mozzarella, and a very thick meaty Bolognese.  My Bolognese is much saucier.  If yours is also, I’m guessing that this is what makes ours sloppier than some others, even after it sits for a bit.  I usually make extra sauce and serve it on the side at the table when I have lasagna and I think what I’ll do is continue to do that, but cook down some of it to actually go into the lasagna itself. 

@Norm Matthews – I saw that cake and went right to your blog for the recipe.  I can’t wait to make it!  Is it really just the height of a 9-inch cake pan? It looks higher than that. 

@gfweb – your pork schnitzel meal is gorgeous and one of my favorites.  And I just discovered that I can have pretty much all the red cabbage I want! 

Before Ash Wednesday (since we knew we were giving up eating in restaurants for Lent) we went to a Chinese place that Jessica and I had been to recently.  Mr. Kim hadn’t been there in years, so he ordered his usual “test meal” for his first visit to a Chinese restaurant – hot & sour soup and Moo shu pork.  It passed with flying colors.  His moo shu:

1-IMG_2289.jpg.5966366f79f3c259fc6ac283e78afe9f.jpg

Jessica had orange beef:

1-IMG_2290.jpg.802865665f681c857ccd3b830916d34f.jpg

I had beef chow fun, which is hard to find around here:

1-IMG_2288.jpg.e0da485d158fdd0e7062fa83abf01eaa.jpg

It was great – crisp vegetables, tender beef, and meltingly tender noodles.  SO much better than my attempts.  I think I try to add too many vegetables.  This was just onions, mung bean sprouts and some leafy green stuff. 

For dinner Sunday night, I had the other half of my cheesesteak leftover from lunch and some Progresso vegetable soup:

1-IMG_2316.jpg.566e7e07968553e387d6cedb74cc1368.jpg

Last night Mr. Kim picked up a pizza from Costco for dinner:

1-IMG_2321.jpg.616a8d736813d5749d59006f9eea5997.jpg

And I made a salad:

1-IMG_2322.thumb.jpg.b50d5e0dff4cda04d11b4c0cd36c31bb.jpg

We debated whether this went against our Lenten sacrifice and decided that it didn’t.  He went intending to buy an uncooked, refrigerated pizza for us to top and bake and they don’t sell them anymore.  This was still very inexpensive, so he felt like it was still in keeping. 

Time to make Moo Shu Pork again.

• Like 1

Sous Vide pork tenderloin with oyster sauce, steamed corn with butter and nutritional yeast, "Devilish Potatoes" (twice baked potatoes with a spiced cashew puree mixed in)

IMG_20230304_195911429.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

DetroitStylePizzaMarch5th20231.thumb.jpg.0eeeeb9c8a2f32b43fb8c91e1818db3e.jpg
Matt and I decided we would each make a "Detroit Style Pizzas" last night.

So I made the dough  before leaving for work. I used the same dough I use in my normal pizzas. Hand mixed, autolyze, stretch and fold method.
Left it out on the counter for a 9 hour fermentation. It was ready to use when I got home from work tonight.

Now to be honest, I knew in advance that this was something that I was not likely to care for. 
DetroitStylePizzaMarch5th20233.thumb.jpg.32ef60688d5d4cb9aecb6968f4b33c23.jpg
I really like the pizzas I make that are thin crusted with nice airy rims and baked either in a hot oven on a stone or in the Ooni.
DetroitStylePizzaMarch5th20232.thumb.jpg.b71cd62ffc5c6c3fb56f238dde8a7c34.jpg
The pizza was good. Just not the style of pizza that I prefer.

Matt made his vegetarian version and felt the same way. It was good, but not something we would probably ever make again.
And I got two baguettes out of the same batch of dough.
  • Like 19

@Dejah  – thank you!  Just as I thought – I’ve never seen that brand before.  I’m betting they are only available in Canada. 

@Dante – your “turtle” soup looks delicious.  “Mock Turtle Soup” is a tradition in the area of Southern Indiana that we lived in many years ago and a friend was kind enough to invite me to help her make it and gave me her family recipe.  I haven’t made it for years, but your soup has me thinking about it now! 

@Ann_T – well, you may not have loved it, but that pizza looks like an excellent version of Detroit pizza.  I don’t much care for deep dish, but I think I’d love the crisp edges and crust on a Detroit. 

Last night was breakfast for dinner – sausage and Cheddar quiche:

1-IMG_2373.jpg.42ef111cd69cd8bf2e7b86672cc420b7.jpg

Blackberries, grapes, and mandarin oranges:

1-IMG_2374.jpg.0586d815df6e122a906167c62c1a81a9.jpg

Two ingredient Cream Biscuits:

1-IMG_2375.thumb.jpg.e144c91566a0891ee018e469d5748978.jpg

This was my first time making these.  I think it was @Dave the Cook who mentioned them.  This was Kenji’s recipe on seriouseats.com.  Lovely and fluffy.  Really good, but not suited to a biscuit sandwich.  Made me wish I had some clotted cream!

Served with some Benton’s country ham:

1-IMG_2376.jpg.136b48e0a56cff5c03cfadde332a156d.jpg

I discovered that, as much as I love Benton’s bacon, I really prefer Edward’s country ham. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4