• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

PXL_20230226_004144838.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.06bf5e72f628ca54b53902f800b800df.jpg

Nyonya chicken curry. I've been working on this curry for years, never really happy with it. Until now! Really complex with belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste), shallots, ginger, garlic and a homemade curry powder and coconut milk, with some home grown curry leaves and kaffir lime leaves. It was too addictive - now I'm stuffed!!!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 6

Headed to the city for medical apptn tomorrow. Will be staying with our daughter and s-i-l.
Daughter loves Black Bean Garlic Beef & Bittermelon. S-i-L absolutely not. 🤪
So I made some with bitter melon and some with bell peppers. Ho fun with oyster sauce to go with either.

CarePkgforkids0271.jpg.66c132b3deaa8a48828804c754aab501.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

PXL_20230226_004144838.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.06bf5e72f628ca54b53902f800b800df.jpg

Nyonya chicken curry. I've been working on this curry for years, never really happy with it. Until now! Really complex with belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste), shallots, ginger, garlic and a homemade curry powder and coconut milk, with some home grown curry leaves and kaffir lime leaves. It was too addictive - now I'm stuffed!!!

Looks perfect … will it make it into the RecipeGullet (puuleeeeaaaase 🙏) ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's amazing how well it works.  Mine come in a gunny sack and I just toss it in the freezer.  About an hour or so before dinner I fish some out and put them in a bowl.  About 15 mins before I want to shuck them, I rinse them in cold water and then shuck away.  They shuck easier after they are frozen.  They are still briny and delicious.  I've had this bag of oysters for well over a year.

This is really good to know. I can now buy a case of oysters (at a significantly lower cost)  and enjoy them when wanted.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

My sister and BIL were over for dinner yesterday evening so I made a chicken ballotine with a spinach, duxelles and feta filling.

Pre-roast (technique could have been a little better):

DSCN0634.thumb.JPG.12c14005f0f74202eb42cb2f586c101b.JPG

Rested and sliced:

DSCN0635.thumb.JPG.9150e1c1db6ce2068d70ea9ed00ed3e6.JPG

Served with mushroom kasha done pilaf style, green beans and carrots, followed by a salad course and finished with tiramisu and coffee.

Cote de Rhone to accompany.

My plate (while everyone was seated and waiting for me to stop playing with my camera):

DSCN0636.thumb.JPG.a0ae3473a752511e7baa4f9256bd7198.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 9
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Looks perfect … will it make it into the RecipeGullet (puuleeeeaaaase 🙏) ?

Thanks. I probably should put it up there if for no other reason than so I can remember what I did so I can do it again!  Do you think I should make a separate recipe for the curry powder or combine them into a single recipe?  Of course you can use your own curry powder but I can't get a good Nyonya style one around here - one store has what they call Malaysian curry powder and I've used it many times for this dish but the homemade one is much better.  I make a big batch grinding all the spices in a blender and then freeze in batches.  Opening up the bag now, many months later, it's as fresh as it was when I made it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2023 at 8:23 AM, liuzhou said:

I was talking to my daughter in London by phone earlier and she reminded me of this dish I used to make quite often, but kind of forgot about.

It is based on a recipe by the late lamented Keith Floyd, but has evolved quite a bit over the years. Chicken, black olives and coriander/cilantro. With garlic and chilli. I usually cook it in wine and today only had  Shaoxing wine, so used that along with some chicken stock. Served with rice.

chickenolivescoriander2.thumb.jpg.41c05b083cedb8edabf85fcbb47ab862.jpg

Looks marvellous, Liuzhou!

Could provide a recipe please?

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Looks marvellous, Liuzhou!

Could provide a recipe please?

Thanks. It's one of those simple dishes which I probably make differently every time, but basically it is seasoned, cubed chicken lightly browned in olive oil with garlic, halved black olives and chilli then braised with white wine, or as I did that time, Shaoxing wine and chicken stock. When the chicken is nearly cooked through add as much coriander leaf / cilantro as takes your fancy. My kids called it 'green chicken'. You can thicken the sauce with the usual starch and water method, but often I don't bother.

Sometimes I add any stray mushrooms I find in the fridge or even thinly sliced leeks. Sometimes capers and/or shallots. I've even used basil instead of the coriander leaf on occasion.

I usually serve it with plain steamed rice, but have been known to serve it with friedrice. Potatoes would work too, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thanks. I probably should put it up there if for no other reason than so I can remember what I did so I can do it again!  Do you think I should make a separate recipe for the curry powder or combine them into a single recipe?  Of course you can use your own curry powder but I can't get a good Nyonya style one around here - one store has what they call Malaysian curry powder and I've used it many times for this dish but the homemade one is much better.  I make a big batch grinding all the spices in a blender and then freeze in batches.  Opening up the bag now, many months later, it's as fresh as it was when I made it.

Thanks, @KennethT ! Much appreciated 🙏

However you choose to archive your recipe(s) will be greatly appreciated. I think it is exactly this: getting the tuning just about right (with the powder, the little “add all other ingredients” phrase that really makes the difference …

As does taking the time to lay it out for  us - well, actually, for all. Thank you !

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Honkman said:

Herbed ricotta gnocchi with lemon-green beans, bacon and parmesan (made to a significant part by our daughter - I could get used to that service)

FC1AD63E-EE2C-424B-B007-95D319406E48.thumb.jpeg.3ea9d1ac8355f1d767d40e73f03135b2.jpeg

I have had ricotta gnocchi in restaurants, but have only ever made the potato ones at home. Do you or your daughter have a recipe that you'd be willing to share?

• Thanks 1

B36A6334-4F6A-4EFC-9C41-F1271B53933C.thumb.jpeg.b146af53e2b80a6a47b2e5b1620a7e2c.jpeg

Lamb chops left from lunch yesterday. I roasted some potatoes in duck fat and before pulling them from the oven put the lamb chops on top added the blanched sugar snaps and gave them five or 10 minutes together. Quite delicious.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kjotsupa - variation on an Icelandic lamb soup/stew. Icelandic stews tend to be not very strongly spiced like this one - you cook a larger piece of leg of lamb with onion and bay leaves in water (to make your own lamb “stock”) and than you add oats (to thicken) and rutabaga, carrots, potatoes and green cabbage) and some parsley.

301A1879-841D-4532-ACCF-2B351CF12D01.thumb.jpeg.0a2c26ea1c1d4de4b2739417ef8657d0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

what are the flavorings used in cooking the lentils ?

is there a more or less standard version ?

ie from one cafeteria to the next :

a similar dish ?

The lentils are boiled with carrot, celeriac and bay leaf. When they are tender, you’ll drain and reserve the liquid. In a second pot, you fry an onion in butter, then add flour and make a brown roux. Add the lentil liquid, some tomato paste, salt, vinegar and a dash of sugar. Boil for some minutes, add the lentil and adjust the taste.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 2:11 PM, MaryIsobel said:
On 2/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, Honkman said:

I have had ricotta gnocchi in restaurants, but have only ever made the potato ones at home. Do you or your daughter have a recipe that you'd be willing to share?

It’s a translation from a German recipe so the amounts are in grams- For the ricotta gnocchi mix briefly 500 g fresh ricotta, 30 g fresh herbs (parsley, thyme etc.), 2 egg yolks, 100 g grated parmesan and 120 g AP-Flour in a large bowl until you get a sticky, soft dough. 

Boil plenty of salted water. Meanwhile separate the dough in six equal parts and roll each of them on a floured surface in long “sausages” with a diameter of 1 -1.5 cm. Cut each “sausage” in 3 cm pieces. Carefully add the raw gnocchi to the boiling water and let them simmer (water shouldn’t boil again) for about 3 minutes until

they raise to the top. Use a slotted spoon to remove and serve with your preferred sauce and vegetables

• Thanks 3