• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

38 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mitch, I have been intrigued by this dish for some time. You've made me want to try it!

What's the ratio of breadcrumbs to parmesan?

I think this is quite forgiving; but if I had to guess -  2:1 breadcrumbs to parm.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not trying to say or even imply that there is anything wrong with baked baozi. I'm just saying they don't exist here. I'd certainly try if I came across them.

I totally get that. If ovens are scarce that makes sense. I have no idea how the baked ones are done. I just know that they are kept in a warming oven behind the counter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not trying to say or even imply that there is anything wrong with baked baozi. I'm just saying they don't exist here. I'd certainly try if I came across them.

I totally get that. If ovens are scarce that makes sense. I don't have any idea what kind of ovens they are baked in, but usually they are pulled out of a warming oven behind the counter. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, billyhill said:

Navy beans and ham with corn bread. 

20230206_171329.jpg

I would get me some buttermilk to have with some of that cornbread for breakfast tomorrow morning.    (Warm the cornbread; break into bitesized chunks; cover with cold  buttermilk.    I don't remember where I heard of this but it is G O O D!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I would get me some buttermilk to have with some of that cornbread for breakfast tomorrow morning.    (Warm the cornbread; break into bitesized chunks; cover with cold  buttermilk.    I don't remember where I heard of this but it is G O O D!

I never acquired the buttermilk habit but I remember my dad and grandmother doing this.

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting - avocado was stirfried?

Thank you.

Added last, for minimal cooking, though sometimes when I do a saute dish I'll add some avocado in and let it cook a bit and break down in to the sauce.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Sound similar to something my late grandparents would do when we were little. They would put pieces of leftover 'going stale' cornbread in a glass and cover it with milk to eat with a spoon. My grandfather would add sugar to his. But in those days he added sugar to everything, including his sliced watermelon...

• Like 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

My fish share dropped off pollock yesterday.  Nobody in my house likes it, so I always try to make something flavorful to go with (disguise?) it when we get it.  Last night, I tried a spicy puttanesca sauce.  We thought it was pretty tasty, for pollock.  

645500187_pollockputtanesac2.thumb.jpg.e8e71d52662359dbfb56ca2e432c82e6.jpg

• Like 18

Wish the picture was better.  

Had a half ear of corn, made it into crispy corn fritters.  Added as little flour and corn starch as I dared, pressed them into panko and let them rip.  Super crispy!  I used a liberal amount of salt and pimiento picante powder that I brought back from Spain in November.  Topped with grilled shrimp. 

corncakeshrimp.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

I find it strangely satisfying to take all the bits and pieces I find in the fridge and make a decent meal out of it. It‘s like a little competition at the end of some days. Todays result was Mapo Doufu 🥳

B12D552D-134F-473F-972B-170750F327FF.thumb.jpeg.3c2d43d6a3d83f6dac7b6677c0211c3b.jpeg

No complaints !

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

My fish share dropped off pollock yesterday.  Nobody in my house likes it, so I always try to make something flavorful to go with (disguise?) it when we get it.  Last night, I tried a spicy puttanesca sauce.  We thought it was pretty tasty, for pollock.  

645500187_pollockputtanesac2.thumb.jpg.e8e71d52662359dbfb56ca2e432c82e6.jpg

I've used puttanseca for a variety of proteins because we both really like the flavour. It goes really well with a lot of things other than pasta.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWood said:

Baby blooming onions. Cute, but a lot of prep. I needed to use up cippolini onions, along with some homemade ranch.

I've never seen baby blooming onions.  So cute!!!

178505279_EscargotFebruary7th20231.thumb.jpg.c42ff37130c0e8b9a98c49c2a01e6ec8.jpg

Promised Moe escargot for dinner tonight

361614523_EscargotFebruary7th2023.thumb.jpg.e6b39152df51d1e67f29456ab89d3146.jpg

with grilled slices of baguette for dipping.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

We were supposed to be flying someplace warmer this weekend, but my husband's passport is stuck in renewal limbo.  Despite paying fees to have its processing and mailing expedited, it is now two weeks past the end window for when it was supposed to arrive.  Of course, there are no available appointments at any passport offices on the east coast.  He was told it was "moving along," whatever that means.  I guess we will be staying in the cold for now, so I brought warm-tasting food to the dinner table instead.  Mahi-mahi marinated in an island spice blend with pineapple-mango-black bean salsa, curried Caribbean rice, and sweet and sour red cabbage.  The cabbage and rice recipes are from the At Blanchard's Table: A Trip to the Beach Cookbook by Bill and Melinda Blanchard, the owners of Blanchard's on Anguilla.

625584341_CBGRmahi.thumb.jpg.4eb838dd71895e267cf0be6a74a2a25e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3
  • Sad 2

Made a surprisingly delicious soup last night, with precooked white beans, a leftover steamed (large) globe artichoke, and a quart of roasted chicken stock made last week.

Scraping all the good stuff off the artichoke leaves was the hardest part, but then sautéed an onion, garlic and celery in olive oil, added the stock, beans and a little of the bean cooking liquid, along with the artichoke flesh and heart. Simmered for 20 minutes, then hit it with the stick blender. Really great first course. Followed with:

image.thumb.jpeg.f83cbae50bbe6b1b0881117fb17dac74.jpeg\

Favorite winter bitter greens salad and penne in a simple, chunky marinara sauce.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I brought warm-tasting food to the dinner table instead.

Nice recovery!  It beats whining about something that cannot be fixed at the moment. And it looks quite delicious. Hope you still get to find some warm weather eventually. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is what is commonly known as Kung-po or Kung-pao chicken everywhere but China!

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), literally Palace Defense Chicken Cubes. Fuchia Dunlop tells the story of how its name was changed for insane political reasons in the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976 approx) to either 宫爆鸡丁 (gōng bào jī dīng, "fast fried chicken cubes") or 糊辣鸡丁 (hú là jī dīng, or "seared chillies chicken cubes") until it reverted in the 1980s.

This version is from a local Sichuan restaurant. Not the best I've had but fine, if somewhat overloaded with the green chilllies and celery. The best I've had was in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan. Of course.

Served with rice, of course.

gongbaojiding1.thumb.jpg.2c8ae44ef25b89fa0dbaaa9a11c9ab3f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto